Researchers may have made brain tissues from stem cells

bigmoochie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
quick somebody tell W......... oh never mind he hates stemcells

Do you mean embryonic stem cells or adult stem cells? There's a very important difference.

Embryonic stem cells exist only in human fetuses that are under a certain gestational age. Adult stem cells exist in humans of all other ages. While it is thought that ESC's will eventually be able to replicate other cells, this has not been proven nor will it be, per best scientific estimates, for at least 35-40 years. Despite the billions that are being thrown at ESCs in states like California.

Adult stem cells, however, have lead to numerous inroads in the treatment of many diseases previously thought dificult to treat, such as Alzheimer's Disease.

Finally, your little swipe at "W" - presumably George Bush - is ill informed. He actually allowed federal government spending for certain pre-existing lines of ESCs.

Looks as if you should read up a bit more . . .

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I disagree Big Moochie, (human)ESC show tons of potential, but by "assuming" it would only have any results after 30+ years,as the only reason to NOT do any research seems a bit backwards. ASC, only show a tiny fraction of the potential that ESC does. Millions of embryos that come out of invetro get destroyed as medical waste, Jeez, put them to good constructive use instead!

President Bush announced, on Aug 2001 that federal funds, for the first time, would be made available for hESC research on currently existing stem cell lines; however, the Bush Administration chose not to permit taxpayer funding for research on hESC cell lines not currently in existence, thus limiting federal funding to research in which "the life-and-death decision has already been made".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell_controversy#cite_note-37 Thereby effectively neutering the research process.The Bush Administration's guidelines differ from the Clinton Administration guidelines which did not distinguish between currently existing and not-yet-existing hESC.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Do you mean embryonic stem cells or adult stem cells? There's a very important difference.

Embryonic stem cells exist only in human fetuses that are under a certain gestational age. Adult stem cells exist in humans of all other ages. While it is thought that ESC's will eventually be able to replicate other cells, this has not been proven nor will it be, per best scientific estimates, for at least 35-40 years. Despite the billions that are being thrown at ESCs in states like California.

Adult stem cells, however, have lead to numerous inroads in the treatment of many diseases previously thought dificult to treat, such as Alzheimer's Disease.

Finally, your little swipe at "W" - presumably George Bush - is ill informed. He actually allowed federal government spending for certain pre-existing lines of ESCs.

Looks as if you should read up a bit more . . .
Good Grief!...Go ask a researcher exactly how much help W was in the field of Stem Cell Research!.....ZERO!

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
i meant to put the link in the post i see that it did'nt work... i'll put it in if i can find it.................was not a swipe was full fledged insult to ol president zippy ..

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
Why should taxpayer money go to this? If there truly is any promise then money from the private sector would be more than enough, just like every other industry out there.

I'm excited about stem cells, but would hate to see our inefficient, bureaucratic government screwing it up through oversight.