Reserve and National Guard mobilization limits lifted

D

deleted62

Pentagon abandons active-duty time limit - Yahoo! News

As a proud member of the U.S. Army currently set to get out of the Reserves in August, this worries me deeply. I served over 15 months in Iraq with people who were mobilized one day before they were set to End their Term of Service (ETS). Under the old policy on time limits, I was exempt from heading back after our dear Leader made almost every strategic mistake possible because of the amount of time I had remaining in my 24 months (it was complicated but made sense). If called upon to mobilize again, I will proudly do my duty and do it well, but I will be wringing my hands until August because my family would be devastated if I had to go back. I love them with all my heart, but some of them are just not that stable.

I like to keep a rather low profile, but if anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted on what happens.

-Z

My two cents hope I can ETS in August.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You and I have a lot to talk about, Gus, but I am about to have a very busy weekend. I'll post and PM later. This is indeed an unsettling (but certainly not unexpected) policy change.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I brought this up when they first mentioned it some time ago.

In what other business can you change the terms of the contract with the people with whom you contracted having no say?

Insane!

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey Gus- glad to hear you're still around!

These are real people, and what Gus is talking about is that these decisions affect real people's lives. He is a member here who used to post fairly frequently, but has been in dutiful service for quite some time. Now, with no say in the matter, he can be forced to serve longer, despite the impact to his own family or life.

I'm glad you check in sometimes, Gus, I wonder sometimes if you're still among the living. I keep warm thoughts for you that you do return safely, and I'll hope that it's soon.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like Lex, I saw this coming. That doesn't make it any easier to swallow. While I coudn't serve due to poor eye sight and severe asthma many in my family and community have and continue to do so.

I have great respect and admiration for you, DC Deep and all of the fine men and women who serve our country both at home and abroad.

. . . But I hate this war, always have. I know, no war is good, but this one seems particularly heinous.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

NOTE: I grew up in a community that was under the flight & holding patterns for Ft. Monmouth, Mc Guire, Ft. Dix, Lakehurst, and Earle NWS (my dad worked there for 35 years).

Many a summer day was spent, on the grass, looking up at all the C-130's & C141's flying back and forth. Sometimes they flew so low we could read the numbers on the side. We loved this! :smile:

I also spent a lot of time fishing with my dad off the docks at Leonardo. Good memories.

Pentagon abandons active-duty time limit - Yahoo! News

As a proud member of the U.S. Army currently set to get out of the Reserves in August, this worries me deeply. I served over 15 months in Iraq with people who were mobilized one day before they were set to End their Term of Service (ETS). Under the old policy on time limits, I was exempt from heading back after our dear Leader made almost every strategic mistake possible because of the amount of time I had remaining in my 24 months (it was complicated but made sense). If called upon to mobilize again, I will proudly do my duty and do it well, but I will be wringing my hands until August because my family would be devastated if I had to go back. I love them with all my heart, but some of them are just not that stable.

I like to keep a rather low profile, but if anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted on what happens.

-Z

My two cents hope I can ETS in August.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I brought this up when they first mentioned it some time ago.

In what other business can you change the terms of the contract with the people with whom you contracted having no say?

Insane!
LOL Actually, there are quite a few. I'll discuss some of that with you this weekend.

Wanna bet that if the pro-draft guys have their way, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy will be modified?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
LOL Actually, there are quite a few. I'll discuss some of that with you this weekend.

Wanna bet that if the pro-draft guys have their way, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy will be modified?

They haven't been doing much thinking, should be able come up with lots of reasons why homies are more expendable.

Really offensive that a guy who used his connections to avoid the slightest sacrifice during vietnam is so ready to sacrifice other people's lives.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It gets better.

Not only have the recruitment commercials been running more frequently but just a minute ago I saw one advertising a free sports watch when you enlisted!

Marvelous. Now the armed forces are offering a treat of the week.