Resistance Band Workout For Men

Lentils

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was thinking of getting some resistance bands to keep in my office at work so I can get train a little in the quiet moments.

Whenever I search for resistance band work outs, I just tend to see women doing it, or else it's rehab/physio focused stuff.

Are they really good for strength and endurance training? Or am I better off just doing some push ups?

Reactions: TrueB2 and AI93JR

Why not alternate them both, resistance bands one day, pushes ups the other. There are definitely benefits to resistance bands (this post just reminded me that I have some in my closet that I haven't been using because I've bought other equipment, lol), it's just a matter of utilizing the right exercise and maximizing each rep.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Every couple of years (and usually in February because it's the shortest month-- but I'm not doing it this year) I have done a workout in addition to my gym work that goes like this:
February 1. 10 pushups
February 2. 20 pushups
February 3. 30 pushups
February 4. 40 pushups.
Etc.

This was originally a challenge on a fitness site. The rules were that you have from midnight to midnight to get the prescribed number of pushups done. It's a great challenge to do with friends. I have made it to 280 pushups twice now. And your chest will feel HUGE!

BUT, the imbalance of doing that many pushups risks shoulder damage. It's important to do lots of rows to keep a balance between pushing and pulling, but not all of us have rowing machines in our home or office. The easy solution is a resistance band and do reverse flys.

The reverse flys are really good for anyone who sits in front of a computer or drives a lot. I do a set every morning, even when I'm not doing 100 pushups.

TrueB2

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not 100% on topic, but because of the discussion of resistance bands...has anyone ever done Dumbbell Curls w Resistance bands to, well, add extra resistance? I just started doing it and wanted to know if anyone else has done this.

But I think go for the resistance bands and alternate between using them and doing pushups every now and then.

I was thinking of getting some resistance bands to keep in my office at work so I can get train a little in the quiet moments.

Whenever I search for resistance band work outs, I just tend to see women doing it, or else it's rehab/physio focused stuff.

Are they really good for strength and endurance training? Or am I better off just doing some push ups?

I use resistance bands in my home gym. They are easy to store, portable and flexiable to use. Just about any free-weight exercise can be adapted to be a resistance band exercise. Don't be fooled by the pics of women or rehab patients: bands are just fine.

Lots of times I will use two resistance bands or double one band over in order to add the resistance I require. Again, these are a very flexible tool for your situation.

Great idea above from AI93JR: do bands but rotate

Reactions: AI93JR

Lentils

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I got some band... I'm going to give them a go. A bit sceptical so far, but i'll persevere. I mainly wanted to use them to do some lower body work as I already do tonnes of push ups and pull ups at home so I wanted to be able to do some leg stuff at work.

I got some band... I'm going to give them a go. A bit sceptical so far, but i'll persevere. I mainly wanted to use them to do some lower body work as I already do tonnes of push ups and pull ups at home so I wanted to be able to do some leg stuff at work.

Great! Since I do my workouts at home, my leg workouts depend a lot on a weighted vest. One of the best purchases I made though I was skeptical at first. There's lots of body-weight stuff you can do for your lower body that gets supercharged on a weight vest. I bet you can figure out how to get the same results with bands.

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Although I might do burpees instead. Maybe just adding 5 a day though

Burpees are awesome way to burn calories. Aside from being a core workout I always feel the burn when I do burpees.

You know you can always throw in some squats and lunges at work in your office. If you're in a multi story building you could also do stair climbing on lunch. Just my two cents.

Lentils

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Burpees are awesome way to burn calories. Aside from being a core workout I always feel the burn when I do burpees.

You know you can always throw in some squats and lunges at work in your office. If you're in a multi story building you could also do stair climbing on lunch. Just my two cents.
Burning calories isn't really my goal... I'm a skinny guy anyway, so this is more about building strength and endurance

Reactions: Gj816

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Burning calories isn't really my goal... I'm a skinny guy anyway, so this is more about building strength and endurance

Gotcha. Any strength training exercise is going to burn calories. Lucky you. I can look at a cake and gain five pounds.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
And I was that skinny guy as well. I definitely recommend the pushup challenge. Your chest and your triceps will gain quickly.

Lentils

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
And I was that skinny guy as well. I definitely recommend the pushup challenge. Your chest and your triceps will gain quickly.

I'm on day 20 today! It's actually easier than I expected so far so I've been throwing in some variations to keep things exciting. I'm doing normal pushups, some close and wide hand push ups, and some pike push ups. I think I'm going to try and push to about 300 then stop. It is definitely fun so far and I do feel stronger, but it's kind of taking up time, so I've been doing fewer pull ups as a result.