resisting arrest

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Marius567, Aug 4, 2011.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

Is it normal for police to beat someone up so bad for resisting arrest?

Cops Kill Homeless Man for Resisting Arrest
    Kelly Thomas was a 37-year-old homeless man, who also happened to suffer from schizophrenia, living in Fullerton, California. When police in the area received word that somebody was breaking into cars near the town's bus station, Thomas caught their attention.
    Officers approached Thomas in the bus depot, where he presumably lived, and tried to arrest him; Thomas supposedly resisted. The cops proceeded to Tase and beat him so badly that he was placed on life support, only to die three days later.
    The problem with this whole mess, other than the fact that a man was beaten to death, is that a student nearby actually filmed the whole thing. And Thomas wasn't resisting arrest at all. He was actually crying out for his dad.

#1 B_Marius567, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. D_Larry_Lowboys

D_Larry_Lowboys Account Disabled

Yes. When a person resists arrest it makes an officer feel powerless, insignificant, and ignored.
    Since a lot of cops get off on having power, resisting them means your ass is going to get beat.

In a bad way.

3. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

I never been under arrest and I may not know what to do.

4. D_Larry_Lowboys

They will tell you what to do, believe me.

5. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

Quoting this for truth.

6. houtx48

Gold Member

Yes the cops did this but the victim made them do it...........I'm glad it was filmed.

7. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

This excuse is the same as when a man who has beat the hell out of his wife whines that she made him do it.

I wonder why no one reports that one reason for out of control cops is roid rage? We waste time, money and energy ruining the lives of our baseball heroes while staying silent about the cops.

8. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Lots of outrage against the cops on this guy. Cops are going to lose this one.

9. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

Yes I'm sure he kept throwing himself into their feet and tasers.

I hear the cops were all like "stop hitting yourself" but he just wouldn't listen. :frown1:

10. cruztbone

Gold Member

if you have never been to Fullerton, then you have not seen rogue cops in action. it is an orange county GOP town whose police hate the homeless and the mentally ill. thank goodness hundreds of locals came to the city council meeting and verbally tore the heads off the mayor and the police chief. finally.
    and the FBI is now investigating. no wonder Mayor Dufus is so tight lipped.

11. D_Larry_Lowboys

Resurrecting an old thread, but relevant:

Woop-woop!

Back in the 80's when hip hop was still named rap, people weren't afraid to speak the truth about cops.

12. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

No one trusts the police in Seattle. It's basically a conversational topic that need not be spoken. You go downtown have a run in with the police? 99% of the time it's because you opened your mouth a little too wide after one too many vodka martini's to tell them to ease off of what is clearly a homeless person, and they threaten to arrest you if you don't move along.

I've watched them physically beat a man who was supposedly disturbing the peace when in actuality he was sleeping in the doorway to an abandoned building as it rained. My friend Marcus said something to the effect of "So SPD gets off by hassling the defenseless underclass huh? Why don't you jackasses go earn your damn pensions!" and what happened? We were stopped, held on the side walk for half an hour, as they searched us and had dogs go through his car.

I think the idea of the police is a logical one. The laws that govern our society need to be enforced... but in certain areas, becoming a police officer seems to have nothing to do with enforcing the law or maintaining our society. It seems like the weaklings in high school who were bullied, graduate, skip college and go get a badge to enact some sort of vengeance on a world that failed to give them proper respect.

Cops downtown are ass holes. Cops on the ferry? Ass holes. Traffic cops (and I mean the ones who pull you over) ass holes. It's a generalization and I know there have to be some exceptions to it but in my life (never having committed a crime) I've had way too much reinforcing experience to buck the notion completely in addition to the fact that the police seem way too interested in excusing their often times very illegal behavior rather than correct the problems in their own misguided ranks.

NWA summed this up as best anyone possibly could have all the way back in 1988; Fuck tha Police.

JSZ

#12 D_Percy_Prettywillie, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  13. alx

alx
    Gold Member

Aww poor guy! Thank fook cops over here don't use that kinda force.

14. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Back in the 60's, several Birmingham "Vice Squad" members tried to make arrest at a private party. Gaining entrance inside, one beat a gay guy unmercilful for resisting arrest. He wound up in a hospital and later tried to sue the city. He lost and was forced to move to New Orleans. Several years later, the arresting officer, was transferred. Where else?

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

One small technicality...
    That track you linked to actually came out in '93 as part of the "Return of the Boom Bap" album. KRS-One is one of my all-time favorite MCs. But what you said is absolutely true. Hip-Hop/Rap music was a major vehicle to show just how life was for some people in the 'hood. Going back as far as The Message.

And it's scary how a record made almost 20 years ago is still societally accurate when we've supposedly have made so much progress. :no:

16. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Mad white homeless guy killed by cops in the US, people protest. Black gangster shot by police in the UK, people riot. Both tragic.

Tasers can be lethal after one shot - & police prefer using them on people who won't shut up & be calm, rather than touch them - because they're worried about restraining via batons. Seriously, would you want to risk a homeless, mentally ill guy scratching you?

I'm no fan of the police, but I don't see many complainers signing up to change things!

17. D_Larry_Lowboys

18. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

In all honesty this is one that I absolutely hate. In the United States of America there are thousands of men and women making a living in Law Enforcement. There are on a daily basis thousands of arrests made which are done with the best and most attention possible to all parties involved including the arresting officers.

When a Law Enforcement Officer crosses the line and makes an arrest of an individual personal and commits a violent act on the person arrested under any circumstance that is not 100% warranted it places a black eye on all the other Offers, Deputies, Agents and such who work damn hard to do the right thing.

In 1965 it was this kind of act on a black man in Watts in South Los Angeles that had the streets of Los Angeles ablaze with incredible destruction for weeks. I was 12 years old when that took place. We had a repeat when a very dubious guy with a checkered past by the name of Rodney King was made into a hero when a beating was recorded and given to the news media.

The Rodney King mess was the beginning of the end of the career of a man by the name of Daryl Gates who for a time served as the Chief of Police for the City of Los Angeles.

When a beating happens is when training of that officer has failed. It is when IAD does not investigate situations like this thoroughly enough or sweeps them under the carpet.

There was a time in my life that I had considered Law and Law Enforcement as a career. I grew up with and still have Law Enforcement Officers who are my personal friends. Professionalism will not allow them to comment without investigation on a situation like this, but, I can tell you that every time some idiot slips like this it is a major kick in the nuts to all of them who are good hard working people.

19. D_Larry_Lowboys

And "the message" is now nearly 30 years old :)
    I must be getting rusty about remembering my old-school rap music - I thought that "Sound of da police" was recorded with Boogie Down Productions.

I think that society has made progress, but the police haven't progressed a bit. They still use the same old tactics - only in today's age, they are going to get a rude awakening when they start realizing that it's getting easier to hold them accountable.

The revolution can now be televised.

Draft saved Draft deleted