restaurants, shoe store departments, etc. you grew up with that are no longer there?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by elegant20, Jul 9, 2010.

1. elegant20

Gold Member

Which establishment did you grew up with and when you last visit them before they turned it into another CVS or A&P? Name some of these childhood hangouts that were use to and sadly are no longer there at all.

2. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thrifty.....Rite Aid bought them out
    Lucky's....Albertson's bought them out
    of course, Montgomery Ward went out of business too :(

3. ghb69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Richland Drive-in Theatre, became the Richland Mall, is now Walmart Plaza One.

4. D_Wally Walnuts

D_Wally Walnuts New Member

Krauss, K&B Drugs, D.H. Holmes, Maison Blanche, McKenzie's Bakery and Time Saver to name a few.

5. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

most obvious... the Riverside (CA) International Raceway became a mall.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

#6 nudeyorker, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  7. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep. Remember last time I was in Krauss on Canal St.

Maison Blanche (which was owned by the now defunct City Stores of New York) was “nickled and dimed” into oblivion before being swallowed up by Dillards. K&B was such a staple down here that we called every drugstore "the K&B" and we even described a particular shade of purple by the company's vibrantly colored logo. And who (who's ever tasted one) can forget a McKenzie's glazed donut?

There are a number of currently existing stores we haven't seen in N.O. (and especially the eastern section) since The Storm, though.

There was a "Wal-(something or other)", a "Big-whatever", and that hamburger place with the little red haired girl (or was she blonde), and "Sid's Club" (or was it Sam's). Rumor is there is a certain "CV-something Pharmacy" too, thought we’ve never ever sighted one in these parts anyway.

Funny how I can't seem to remember the names though, because in the five years hence we've made do with what we've got and the businesses that have come back: Home Depot, Lowes, IHop, Tire Kingdom, Walgreens, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Winn Dixie, Pep Boys, Popeye's, and dozens of locally owned businesses) who DID bother to return to our area.

#7 b.c., Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  8. MC1000

MC1000 Member

What I miss most is Chi Chi's! I hear there are still a few overseas, but I can't afford the $1000's in airfare!

9. wallyj84

Gold Member

Chi Chi's? Do you mean the pizza place? They closed it down? Damn, I have been out of country for too long. :(

10. dannyrankin

dannyrankin New Member

Lucky is back now. Haven't they changed back down there?

11. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    RIP GameBros. Best video game store I've ever been in. :frown:

12. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    I sorely miss:
    Korvettes
    Woolworths
    W.T Grant's
    Sterns

and:
    Tower Records
    HMV
    Virgin Megastore
    Sam Goody
    Harmony Hut

13. gretchenweiner

Albums:
    Winn-Dixie and Frost Groceries died when Super Wal-Mart came to town
    Eckerd's got bought out by CVS

however on the other side of the spectrum, a small restaurant called Chicken Express opened here and eliminated both Popeye's and KFC in our town, with small town, friendly service and phenomenal sweet tea

14. Northland

Gold Member

The Horn & Hardart Automat

E.J. Korvette's

Gimbels

Woolworths

Bohack's Supermarket

S.Klein (on The Square, as in Union Square)

Barton's Bonbonniere

15. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Oh, there are so many...
    Condon's Department Store
    W.T. Grant
    F.W. Woolworth

I'll probably think of more, but those are three biggies.

16. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

J.M. Fields
    Miller's

17. nudeyorker

Gold Member

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

19. Northland

Gold Member

Thank the good Lord there'll never be another like it.

Oh wait! There's a new one opened almost around the corner, which is exactly the same! Crappy overpriced food, scarfed down by celebs. That's essentially all Bouley offered. Celeb connection and in the hellhole of the world, Tri-fucking-beca. Most god forsaken section of the 5 boroughs, and not a wisp of fresh air to be had.

Bouley and his excessively priced spot has a more contemporary mate in the Shit-on-a-plate Sant Ambroeus. For around twenty dollars (includes tip),you get 2 runny eggs, burnt toast and o.j. with hair in it. Set outside at the 4th Street location and have the delivery trucks blow exhaust fumes over you and your plate. Celebs flock there from Dafoe (Willem) to Klein (Calvin) to Barton (Mischa) to Sutherland (Kiefer) to Joel (Billy-who has a place down the block from it on Perry where his daughter almost offed herself, I am glad she lived) to countless others- and the press constantly has stalkers around there to snap photos. Better by far to drop in next door at Extra Virgin or down a block to Tartine's. Tartine's while crowded has much better food and is quieter, more serene.

To their credit, the wait staff at Sant Ambroeus remain pleasant even in the worst of circumstances, and try to distract you as the man from DeBragga and Spitler meats, drags a carcass part across the sidewalk from his truck in a plastic bin, pulling it by a cord. To the credit of DeBragga, at least there's not a rotten meat stench coming from their truck, and the men delivering are handsome. Other meat purveyors for the restaurant, have trucks which smell awful, as the truck departs you see why- they forgot to close the door to the refrigerated truck. Who knows, maybe the bacteria will cook out.

Cheese and other products sit on the sidewalk in the sun for up to an hour.

Speaking of patrons, they bring along their screaming babies to Sant Ambroeus, some not even 2 months old and in dire need of diaper changes. I guess that's the ambiance some are a-searchin' fer. Smoking is allowed and the customers lining up for seating will smoke- even if you don't:smile: and blow the smoke towards you. Occasionally you get lucky and a dog will do his business 2 feet away, or piss along the open fence onto your Prada bag as you eat your overcooked rice. Best though, had to be when the two mounted police came by and both got lucky- their horses took their dumps right there! I never saw a staff clean up so fast. Too bad they didn't react as swiftly when the two rats got flattened by a cab.:frown1:

Well, they do hose down the sidewalk in the morning and they have chains to keep the chairs and tables secure overnight.

So, keep your dismal Bouley and the wilted lettuce memories, I'll take the real food with real texture, taste and quality.

I miss Anton's (where Sant Ambroeus is now) and of course Luchow's on 14th (I think it's a PCRichard's now).

Mainly though nudeyorker, I am glad you finally found a reason to learn culinary skills.

#19 Northland, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  20. nudeyorker

Gold Member

^ Sorry you had a bad experience. I had some of the most delightful meals and lovely evenings there.

Draft saved Draft deleted