restaurants, shoe store departments, etc. you grew up with that are no longer there?

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh- I almost forgot. Boney's- which was a San Diego-area natural/organic food grocery store. Then we had Henry's, which got bought out by Whole Foods, but many are still branded Henry's. Cheap-ass local produce/meat

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

As a struggling youngster in NYC I spent a lot of time at the
Automat (Horn & Hordat) stretching my coins to feed myself....I miss it even today! Oh the wonders to be found behind those little doors...some of my favorites were their apple and cherry pies, chicken pot pies, hearty soups, chili and corn bread, wonderful coffee.....

I miss...the convenience and large number of different and affordable items carried by...
Woolworth's (I miss their lunch counter and their hot yeast rolls most of all...great banana splits and sodas....open hot turkey sandwiches with mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, and a vegetable....ummmm!!

The neighborhood
Lamstons, the other
"Woolworths"

and, of course,
W. T Grants...

Department stores.....
E J Korvettes, Sterns, Fortunoffs and Gimbles

and one that has just left a few weeks ago...
The Empire Diner in Chelsea...

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Which establishment did you grew up with and when you last visit them before they turned it into another CVS or A&P? Name some of these childhood hangouts that were use to and sadly are no longer there at all.

WOOLWORTH'S.
SKY CITY DISCOUNT.
ROSES.
WINN-DIXIE and A&P...great grocery stores.

SHANE'S STEAK AND SEAFOOD. They had that western theme down pat. And they wood grilled the seafood. And they had amazing rolls and clarified butter. YUM.
WESTERN SIZZLIN' Steakhouse.
BASKIN-ROBBINS.
BIFF BURGER.
HARDEE'S Original Charbroiled Burgers. *not that shitty HARDEE'S nowadays.
THE PEANUT SHACK. Amazing roasted salted pumpkin seeds EVER!
KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN back in the 70's and 80's. THAT was some great fukin chik'n.
BOJANGLES Famous Chicken and Biscuits when the were first starting.
PICCADILLY'S Cafeteria. I miss that place.
HALLMARK Cafeteria. I miss that place. They had the best baked spaghetti ever.
MOM AND POP'S COUNTRY KITCHEN. They had the best country breakfast buffet.
PO' FOLKS Country Restaurant. Amazing southern food.
GODFATHER'S PIZZA. Amazing pizza when they first started.

I terribly miss the 7-ELEVEN convenience stores. I was a SLURPEE junkie.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I terribly miss the 7-ELEVEN convenience stores. I was a SLURPEE junkie.
Have they gone somewhere (I ask cos I was just in one about 4 hours ago...)?

and one that has just left a few weeks ago...The Empire Diner in Chelsea...
The Empire Diner closed?! Wow - didn't know. Had many a good meal there. They'll surely be missed.

Another dept. store I just thought of that I miss: Alexander's.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Funny how I can't seem to remember the names though, because in the five years hence we've made do with what we've got and the businesses that have come back: Home Depot, Lowes, IHop, Tire Kingdom, Walgreens, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Winn Dixie, Pep Boys, Popeye's, and dozens of locally owned businesses) who DID bother to return to our area.

Then there is Krystals for those late nights on Bourbon, or Rouses which took over the A&P on Royal :biggrin1:

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Have they gone somewhere (I ask cos I was just in one about 4 hours ago...)?

The Empire Diner closed?! Wow - didn't know. Had many a good meal there. They'll surely be missed.

Another dept. store I just thought of that I miss: Alexander's.

Before listing the places I miss (and still miss) I tried for about
20 minutes to remember "Alexanders" and finally gave up..
I used to buy my Tux at Alexanders...cheap ones we waiters, actors, and singers,
musicians, etc. wore on the job. They did the job, so why pay more...???

And while remembering....how about all the magnificient old theatres in and around
Broadway that were torn down and replaced by ugly skyscrapers? I will not name any
of them because it will just tear me apart thinking about them....what a waste!!!

And, that grand old Pennsylvania Railroad Station in NYC....oh, damn...I am getting so
depressed!

And yeah, the owners of the Empire Diner tried their best to stay, but the owners of
the property gave them no choice...they upped the rent to an impossible amount. So,
there goes another "mom-n-pop" neighborhood establishment in Chelsea!
The Empire Diner plan to open in another location in Chelsea, if possible....but who knows,
every location is now almost priced out of the market and it just would not be the same.
Do we really need another big restaurant, CVS, RiteAid, DuaneRead, or art gallery in
Chelsea?

It has been announced that a "famous" restaurant chain (so the owners of the location
say) will soon move in and REPLACE the Empire Diner (as if anything could replace the
Empire Diner!). Whatever comes (probably a new Outback, Olive Garden, or something
similar) will never be the same as our old "neighborhood" hangout.

A real shame!

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Then there is Krystals for those late nights on Bourbon, or Rouses which took over the A&P on Royal :biggrin1:

I would give my left :censored: for at least 10 or so Krystal burgers right now!!! :tongue:
Oh man, I grew up on them...and how I love those "gifts from the gods!"
I had after movie snacks with dates there, still love 'em when I can get 'em....
How I wish Krystals were here in NYC....or even just one!
Yes, we have White Castles, but they just aren't the same or as good as Krystals.

Ocassionally I have my sister or brother send me an overnight box of Krystal burgers and
have a feasts....worth every penny!

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I would give my left :censored: for at least 10 or so Krystal burgers right now!!! :tongue:
Oh man, I grew up on them...and how I love those "gifts from the gods!"
I had after movie snacks with dates there, still love 'em when I can get 'em....
How I wish Krystals were here in NYC....or even just one!
Yes, we have White Castles, but they just aren't the same or as good as Krystals.

Ocassionally I have my sister or brother send me an overnight box of Krystal burgers and
have a feasts....worth every penny!

To me that is a good reason to go to New Orleans :biggrin1:

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i totally miss when mark's and spencer was in canada.... they closed up shop here almost a decade ago, and now i have nowhere to buy all the yummy st. michael's food hall products i grew up with....

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I tried for about
20 minutes to remember "Alexanders" and finally gave up..
I refer primarily to the one in Paramus NJ with the very famous huge Stefan Knapp mural on the front of the building.
But there was also one on NYC on Lexington Ave. (pictured). I believe it was right across the street from Bloomingdales.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I refer primarily to the one in Paramus NJ with the very famous huge Stefan Knapp mural on the front of the building.
But there was also one on NYC on Lexington Ave. (pictured). I believe it was right across the street from Bloomingdales.

Yep that's the one...at the time I would visit Bloomingdales (Bloomies) to
see what I wanted but could not afford as yet...and then go to Alexanders and buy the less costly, but still good quality, substitutes...of course leaving without the famous
Bloomingdales "blue shopping bag." :biggrin: I knew one girl that carried a B Bag with her
and put the Alexander merchandise in it when she left so people thought she shopped at BD.

by the way...I still remember the wild and well known men's changing rooms at both stores,
especially at Bloomingdales. Sometimes it was a bit unbelievable what went on there...
Was it the same in New Jersey?