Restoring Presidential Dignity

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
A few people? Are you kidding me?

Surely, a glorious history of peace and harmony:

Reuters AlertNet - FACTBOX-Leaders of Iraq and their violent ends

Genocide in Iraq: Further Reasons for a Criminal Tribunal

Hussein murdered, maimed, executed and attacked women and children with chemical weapons. STOP acting like this was a peaceful, fun-loving nation that was raped by the US.

I'll listen to people bitch about Bush mis-steps, but spinning Iraq as a peaceful, innocent nation is absolute bullshit and you know it.

Saddam Hussein employed the death penalty on his citizens. You are absolutely right. He killed thousands of Iraqi people in his decades or reign. Meanwhile, the US Government was doing the same thing to Americans: Capital punishment in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It doesn't seem so "peaceful" and "fun-loving" when you really know the facts.

When you do a little travel to, say, Europe, west or east, or south or central America and you talk to almost anybody and you see how the American government is perceived and in what regard the current American president in particular is held, you will see that there is very little that can be considered 'dignified' about it.

Then ask them how they see Obama. This should help answer the question.

:eek: I agree!

I think Bill Clinton is intelligent and one of the best Presidents of the last 60 years. But he was not a suitable role model for our nations youth any more than George W. Bush.
I guess every President has been flawed. I admire JFK, but he was also a philanderer. On the other hand, being a philanderer, or alcoholic, or someone who picks their dog up by the ears (remember him, folks?) is a personal flaw and not indicative of their political platform. I hated W. Bush since day one, but I've never attacked his personal flaws--only his disasterous political policy.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
Saddam Hussein employed the death penalty on his citizens. You are absolutely right. He killed thousands of Iraqi people in his decades or reign. Meanwhile, the US Government was doing the same thing to Americans: Capital punishment in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It doesn't seem so "peaceful" and "fun-loving" when you really know the facts.

Are you really comparing the execution of murders etc here in the states to Saddam wiping out Kurds?

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Are you really comparing the execution of murders etc here in the states to Saddam wiping out Kurds?
Not directly. I'm just saying that the argument that "Hussein killed Iraqi people therefore it's OK to invade Iraq" is nonsense. The US kills her own people too, as do other countries. As for Genocide and mass murders, that's unforgivable. Nonetheless, if you are going to depose tyrants who engage in genocide and mass murder, then you should start in places like Rwanda where it's much more of a problem.

Bush invaded Iraq as a "war on terror" so it's really a moot point anyway. Genocide is not relevant.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
Not directly. I'm just saying that the argument that "Hussein killed Iraqi people therefore it's OK to invade Iraq" is nonsense. The US kills her own people too, as do other countries. As for Genocide and mass murders, that's unforgivable. Nonetheless, if you are going to depose tyrants who engage in genocide and mass murder, then you should start in places like Rwanda where it's much more of a problem.

Bush invaded Iraq as a "war on terror" so it's really a moot point anyway. Genocide is not relevant.

Just checking.

I agree there are places that are just as bad if not worse but we "won't gain anything" from interfering in those places lol.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I couldn't agree more. Sadly i don't see this happening in the near future or ever happening again.

Guys like Ike were demigods. Even if you weren't a Republican, you still respected your president in the day. Maybe that's a good thing... maybe it's a horrible thing. I have read about how Kennedy's secret service spent more time keeping Jackie from seeing his philandering than actually guarding him. I've heard of his pool parties. Despite this, Americans still loved him.

I'm amazed that Roosevelt managed to fool the world into thinking that he could walk--with the help of the "news" media. These days the media will pounce on the President over any minor flaw, like saying that they don't take the Bible literally and then spend all day covering the "story".

I guess my point is that there has been a lost of respect toward Presidents in post-war America (or rather post-50's), and that the press has taken full advantage of this. Rather than protect the president, they expose every flaw. Maybe "Presidental Dignity" is a thing of the past.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sounds delightful. Korean War, McCarthyism, racial oppression, Kruschev, heyday of organized crime...so blissful in the 50's.
Don't change the subject again dumbass. Do I have to review the thread for you?

Pecker said, "Personally, I'm looking forward to a President who can lead morally and with dignity, who'll be a proper role model for children as well as their parents."

Then Mr. Snakey replied, "I couldn't agree more. Sadly i don't see this happening in the near future or ever happening again."

Then you replied to Snakey, "When was that?"

I replied to you that was in the 1950's. The topic is Presidential dignity, not what was going on when. I my opinion Eisenhower was the most dignified American president since WW2.

Clear now?

Last edited:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Guys like Ike were demigods. Even if you weren't a Republican, you still respected your president in the day. Maybe that's a good thing... maybe it's a horrible thing. I have read about how Kennedy's secret service spent more time keeping Jackie from seeing his philandering than actually guarding him. I've heard of his pool parties. Despite this, Americans still loved him.

I'm amazed that Roosevelt managed to fool the world into thinking that he could walk--with the help of the "news" media. These days the media will pounce on the President over any minor flaw, like saying that they don't take the Bible literally and then spend all day covering the "story".

I guess my point is that there has been a lost of respect toward Presidents in post-war America (or rather post-50's), and that the press has taken full advantage of this. Rather than protect the president, they expose every flaw. Maybe "Presidental Dignity" is a thing of the past.
I agree. You make some very good points indeed.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Well said.

Because of today's media and our tabloid-starved society, the idea of respecting our President has all but disappeared.

If Obama can stay clean through this Blago thing, he'll have a good start in bringing dignity to POTUS.

Folks may disagree with W's politics, but I haven't seen where he's been anything buy dignified and perfectly appropriate during his two terms in office.

Nick8: Obama will have enemies in Europe, too. Sometimes leadership can be lonely. The more difficult decisions the Pres has, the more dissenters will emerge.

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Just checking.

I agree there are places that are just as bad if not worse but we "won't gain anything" from interfering in those places lol.

Instead by invading Iraq George W. Bush gained a much worse genocidal, torturing and blood for oil reputation than Saddam Hussein.

There goes Bush Co.'s presidential dignity------> :Flush:

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
"

I replied to you that was in the 1950's. The topic is Presidential dignity, not what was going on when. I my opinion Eisenhower was the most dignified American president since WW2.

Clear now?

And it was the Republican Eisenhower who said at the end of his second term, "Beware of the military Industrial Complex."

Sounds like a liberal to me.....

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
And it was the Republican Eisenhower who said at the end of his second term, "Beware of the military Industrial Complex."

Sounds like a liberal to me.....
Yes it does. Yet he was probably the most conservative (in the classic sense of the word) President in living memory. A great man and an underrated President.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Well said.

Because of today's media and our tabloid-starved society, the idea of respecting our President has all but disappeared.

If Obama can stay clean through this Blago thing, he'll have a good start in bringing dignity to POTUS.

Folks may disagree with W's politics, but I haven't seen where he's been [less than reasonably] dignified and [in most instances] appropriate during his two terms in office.

Nick8: Obama will have enemies in Europe, too. Sometimes leadership can be lonely. The more difficult decisions the Pres has, the more dissenters will emerge.

:present: Christmas came early this year: Agreed. with just the slightest bit of tweaking.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
Folks may disagree with W's politics, but I haven't seen where he's been [less than reasonably] dignified and [in most instances] appropriate during his two terms in office.................... what the hell you been snortin?

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Folks may disagree with W's politics, but I haven't seen where he's been [less than reasonably] dignified and [in most instances] appropriate during his two terms in office.................... what the hell you been snortin?

houtx48:

Will you ever substantiate or source anything, or are you just the resident forum heckler?

Heckler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You remind me of the guy at the end of the bar that whistles and hollers every time a woman walks by, chugs a beer, then smashes the beer can on his forehead.