Resume Help

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Does anyone know of any good resources for technical resume building?

I thought mine was pretty good...but I've been told it's crap by one of the local universities (Literally).

I called a local resume place today, but it sounds like an individual writing them...so I can imagine it may not be what the job markets today are looking for.

Free Resume services - which ones to trust?
Pay Resume services - know of any good ones?

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
knowing how to write/structure a resume is most important if you want it noticed. wherever you go, a person will write the resume and should be able to do an excellent job, provided you can provide good career information.

as to the university, I'd listen only to the placement office but also say consider the source.

my experience including reading/writing some 20,000 resumes and applications as an employment recruiter and employment/human resources.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
heh.... so telling you that your resume was crap was all the university could do? i thought they got paid to help you with this sort of thing....

I'm sure they get paid to do something, but evidently they have more luck just telling people that their resume is terrible.
I agree - the particular University has lost their state accredidations several times, so I didn't take it too seriously..but always wondered.

I had my university placement office help me re-vamp it, but since then, near zero calls. Lots of views, but nothing.
It could be the economy...it could be the resume.

Besides the university, there's only one individual in the phone book here that does it...so I may give it a whirl for $60.

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Besides the university, there's only one individual in the phone book here that does it...so I may give it a whirl for $60.

Have you looked on Craigslist? I've found technical writers, illustrators, and graphic artists on it here in Denver... I'm pretty sure that you could find a resume writer. Give it a whirl. Maybe even look outside your geographic area -- this doesn't sound like a task that has to be done in your backyard.