Resurrected Conversations

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
this is the first topic ever posted in AAW, based on its position. It’s the last post on the last page of conversations.

From 2012, what is sexism?
How do you define "sexism"?

Read it, and see how your answers differ.

How has your personal definition changed since then?

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Tangent follows. I have always been the tall one. I tried to keep in mind my partner was anywhere from six inches to almost a foot shorter than me when putting items away or up. Still, I didnt fully understand. Now that I live with my boy/Sasquatch not being able to reach shit is hella frustrating. When he put in the new shower head I told him to make it his height. Now I got to stand like a foot back to get hit with water. Then there is his habit of using the tops of the cabinet for storage. I am standing on the counter like a fricking toddler trying to dust up there

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I live with tall man and short woman. At work, I am tall woman. Barely a woman over 5’2”. Then again, two guys over 6’5”. Personally, I’ll use anybody who’s near enough, tall enough, stronger than I for whatever purpose I desire. Equal opportunity user. :)

Reactions: lms28 and MickeyLee

I was raised with what at this point in time I guess are somewhat "old fashioned" manners. I'm about as far from religious as you can get, while still being respectful about whatever other people choose. I still say "bless you" if someone sneezes. I hold doors open for people if I get to a door first, doesn't matter the gender of the people who are behind me. I'm short. I'll ask who ever looks like they're not in a rush and is taller if they mind grabbing something for me at the grocery store. I give my seat up on public transportation if someone seems like they need it more than I do, no matter what gender the person is. It's ingrained in my head not to eat until everyone is there to start eating at the same time, put a napkin on my lap, etc.

One of the farther back but blatant times I dealt with sexism that really ticked me off and I still remember is in an art class. The teacher who was also coach of one of the sports teams was interacting with the students. He told the females to clean/tidy the classroom, and he wanted the males to help him throw together some easels for painting. My dad has done woodworking for longer than I've been alive. He does beautiful custom furniture. I'm not a craftsman like him, but I know enough to do basic shit. I knew more than a lot of the snot nosed little assholes he wanted to help him. It was just such a bald faced "I don't expect you silly females to know anything about this because you're females" that I wanted to strangle him.

As someone who is really into video games I run into it some, too. The "oh, are those your boyfriend's video games?" definitely happens. Less than it used to be when I was younger, but it's still a thing. : unamused:

I'm in some ways harder to offend than I used to be, and in other ways it's easier to get on my nerves. I notice more issues than I used to (I think), but I pick and choose my battles more. I've become more perceptive about when someone is just ignorant and when someone is trying to stir shit/intentionally being a fucker.

Reactions: MisterB and LaFemme

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not surprised I didn't answer in 2012. It definitely would have been different from today. Then I was in the heat of battle trying to get my firm's name if not on an equal footing at least not at the bottom of the pile of contractors. I slowly chipped away at the old boy mentality to get noticed and finally respected. There's no question that sexism USED to be rampant in my field. But I have to give a reluctant thanks to HGTV and Scripps for putting women builders out there.

Now, if we could get Norm Abrams in a sundress or maybe a woman on This Old House I might be happy.

Reactions: lms28 and LaFemme

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It’s still true for me. Although the balance has changed somewhat in my field, men are still promoted more quickly than women, we are seeing more women are in leadership positions.

I will still ask a tall guy to reach things off a tall shelf for me! :joy:

Reactions: Scarletbegonia

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Tangent follows. I have always been the tall one. I tried to keep in mind my partner was anywhere from six inches to almost a foot shorter than me when putting items away or up. Still, I didnt fully understand. Now that I live with my boy/Sasquatch not being able to reach shit is hella frustrating. When he put in the new shower head I told him to make it his height. Now I got to stand like a foot back to get hit with water. Then there is his habit of using the tops of the cabinet for storage. I am standing on the counter like a fricking toddler trying to dust up there
Welcome to my life.

Reactions: lms28

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
It’s still true for me. Although the balance has changed somewhat in my field, men are still promoted more quickly than women, we are seeing more women are in leadership positions.

I will still ask a tall guy to reach things off a tall shelf for me! :joy:

I’ll ask any tall person. Male, female, both, neither.