Retail Stores Like Newegg.com

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV, Mar 28, 2008.

1. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

Before I even heard of NewEgg there was this great store very close to my house that I could walk to in 15 minutes. I'm a bit of a computer junkie and like to buy parts and assemble my own PCs and could buy everything from the case to the processor and motherboard at this place. When they closed years ago thats when I discovered NewEgg. Anyway, its late friday and Newegg doesn't do anything on weekends. So even with overnight shipping I won't get anything till tuesday and want it sooner. Does anyone know of a place in New York City where I can buy computer parts? I'm sure some place has to carry stuff like this. Larger stores like Best Buy, Circuit City don't carry the kind of stuff I need. I tried searching on Yahoo but not having much luck. My zip is 11356 if someone can help me find a few places to check out.

2. Rendell

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    hmm 911 .. yelllowpages.com .. ask a taxi driver.. ask a taxi dispatcher .. check with outlying areas accessible on the public transit maybe?

3. transformer_99

Gold Member

Check out pricewatch.com, perhaps there is an on-line vendor with a local store in NYC that you can find with a better price than newegg ? I've used newegg before and they are fine, but I also find there are lower priced vendors closer that beat newegg's price for on-line purchases. I am fortunate to be here in Miami, FL, TigerDirect can have decent specials and quality product locally. Even there, I find sucking it up for a few days to a week, that waiting for an on-line purchase saves me the money. I try to time my purchases too, but can understand the mentality of "gotta have it right now". When I make the on-line purchase, the best I can hope for is great customer service for a timely and accurate shipment with equally exceptional tracking. If it's something I need right away, the bigger places you mentioned are my final alternative. Then again, there is very little I can't wait a week for and in the end, saving the $$$ is well worth it. Local stores would find their sales would increase if they honored the locals for internet specials. I'll find the same product they carry for less (even after S&H) and tax free. That beats @ss-raping me for walking into a similar retail outlet that it's going to be bought and shipped from for an on-line purchase.

Draft saved Draft deleted