Reverse Image Search Engine?

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Think about it. You're missing the obvious.

It would matter if your avatar pic came from a photo that's on your FaceBook page, blog, online photo album, someone else's online photo album that identifies your name, etc. Many people like the same images so much that they re-use them in different places, unintentionally linking an anonymous identity with a public one. For instance, my company's website has a lot of personal information about me. If I unwisely chose an image that can also be found on my own company website, then people who have seen me on cam would recognize my photo there, know my name, and where I work if they used TinEye to find that website. The same thing could happen with FaceBook, MySpace, LinkedIn, blogs, etc.

I was just using my avatar image to demonstrate that TinEye "sees" avatar pics. I would not have posted that link if it linked to any identifying information about me. I'm obviously concerned about images that are not my avatar pic, or else I would not have used it as an example.

I did think about it Petite. That's why I said "unless you use the same av on different sites". I probably should have said, "...the same av image..."

I like this thread. It's an excellent idea for internet users to be aware of their presence online, and to realize that there are really creepy stalker types out there (and in here) who are constantly trying to piece together members' identities for their own nefarious purposes.

My opinion is that one cannot be too careful in protecting their identity online.

It's also in your interest to know the laws in your state that govern online stalking and harassment...it's invaluable knowledge to have on your side should you ever find yourself the target of some psychopaths' obsessions.

I agree. There are too many weirdos out there so it's great that Petite posted this to raise awareness.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I did think about it Petite. That's why I said "unless you use the same av on different sites".

Well, I was just using my avatar as an example. I wasn't talking about avatars specifically. Actually I wasn't talking about avatars at all regarding the original reason why I created this thread. It was just an example to show how it works and that it finds matches from LPSG.

A lot of people share photos here via PM or through email, thinking that their identity is protected as long as they don't show a face in the photo without realizing that partial photo matches can be found using TinEye.

Last edited:

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have a friend who is a bit of a conspiracy fiend; he insists that Facebook, myspace and even social sub sites like LPSG fill the need for domestic intel recon..as people self report their activities under the cloak of 'anonymity' and a misplaced expectation of privacy.

Hmmmmmmmm

Media
I like this thread. It's an excellent idea for internet users to be aware of their presence online, and to realize that there are really creepy stalker types out there (and in here) who are constantly trying to piece together members' identities for their own nefarious purposes.

My opinion is that one cannot be too careful in protecting their identity online.

It's also in your interest to know the laws in your state that govern online stalking and harassment...it's invaluable knowledge to have on your side should you ever find yourself the target of some psychopaths' obsessions.

I totally agree. I have a close friend who went through quite an ordeal with an online stalker. It was not pretty.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I have a friend who is a bit of a conspiracy fiend; he insists that Facebook, myspace and even social sub sites like LPSG fill the need for domestic intel recon..as people self report their activities under the cloak of 'anonymity' and a misplaced expectation of privacy.

Hmmmmmmmm

That would not astonish me.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have never thought of facebook as anything other than a place for people I rarely get to see to post. Even my Dad is on my FB page. There is nothing mysterious about my page. Though I did put a different place of birth and birthday, just because my real friends know it. There are to many cases of stolen idenity for me to blab to much.

redejb87

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is there a way for someone to see your personal info on say, your facebook if you have it all set to private? I'm not sure if any of this would link to my facebook or anything, but I do set everything including name address and stuff to private; no one except ppl on my friends list can see it.