Reverse?--Lifelong gays realizing midlife that they're STRAIGHT?

goldeneye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Does anyone know of any cases of this ever happening? The thought suddenly occurred to me over the weekend and I wondered if it had ever happened to anyone. It would be, I imagine, terribly fascinating.

mjcp

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lord, I'd have to get a whole new wardrobe.

And come IN to my parents.

And get a bigger dog.

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
this would never happen, there are only guys that are straight then mid life realise that they are gay because they have never accepted that they were before and have been lieing to themselves because of the discrimination that gay guys get etc. that just wouldnt happen the other way round.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why COULDN'T it ever happen? Maybe it can happen the other way around: pressure to be gay, and then a midlife realization that this is all very fun and nice, but boobies are better. :biggrin1:

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Why COULDN'T it ever happen? Maybe it can happen the other way around: pressure to be gay, and then a midlife realization that this is all very fun and nice, but boobies are better. :biggrin1:

Naive! Tits are no substitute for cock. Get that straight. :rolleyes:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Naive! Tits are no substitute for cock. Get that straight. :rolleyes:

OMG! He said, "straight" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

- - - - -

All kidding aside, it COULD happen. Society is changing, and the "stigma" of being gay is disappearing in increasing numbers of communities. I know from my own kids in high school that people are starting to POSE as gay to fit in and be socially accepted.

So.... all I'm saying is that it COULD happen. If not now, then in 5, 10 or 20 years.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
OMG! He said, "straight" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

- - - - -

All kidding aside, it COULD happen. Society is changing, and the "stigma" of being gay is disappearing in increasing numbers of communities. I know from my own kids in high school that people are starting to POSE as gay to fit in and be socially accepted.

So.... all I'm saying is that it COULD happen. If not now, then in 5, 10 or 20 years.

It only happens when people discover religion. But its all fakery.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lord, I'd have to get a whole new wardrobe.
And come IN to my parents.
And get a bigger dog.

:rofl: Oh the shame of it! Your poor parents would have to renounce their PFLAG membership. :frown1: What would the neighbors think? A man becoming straight at your age. :tongue:

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
how about realizing that they are actually bisexual and would like to start exploring the other side of the fence.
Except for extreme rare cases, think electro shock and crap like that. Sexual preferences seem to be hardwired in the brain.

didn't something like gay2str8 happen for Anne Heche :dunno: or did the aliens and anal probs seal her fate?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i think it might happen,,
when i was young, i loved looking at playboys (5yrs age),
was very, very interested in girls, would chase them at recess,
talked about girls and whoever i had a crush on at the time,
then,,,,
at the YMCA in 3rd grade, my principle embarassed me with a comment i made
about wanting to be in the womens locker room to see what they where doing,
i was basically labeled a pervert, then a few months later,
summertime, a tent, and the neighborhood kid that molested everyone, and
me and my freinds started to explore each other.
and that lasted until a few years ago, the rest of my "play" friends have gotten
married had kids, everyone but me,
however,
I do have dreams about having sex with women, and there are times when i am
with a platonic women freind and i get this urge to be very close to her.
And the dreams, they are so frequent,
I went to therapy for 10 years and never told my shrink of this, I wish i did.
I have wondered if i am a latent hetro..
When i notice a man that i find very attractive, I swoon, but if nothing happens,
which is usually everytime, I find out "what" i was attracted to him about,
and when i discover that quality in me, the attraction usually leaves.

Any thoughts?

dcw4:confused:

Perhaps you need to act out your fantasy. Problem is, it's not always easy to rope in a girl.

But I'd give it a go if I were you.

I believe that we are born with "DNA induced" tendencies. But I also believe that our early sexual experience "wire" our monkey brains (the old, "reptilian" section of the brain) -- and once wired, we're kinda stuck with it.

So, you could have been DNA programmed to be a hetero breeder, but you only found acceptance and release (and, oh, happy day, lots of endorphins) in homosexual sex.

The reptilian brain seeks those endorphins, and will alter your behavior in attempting to "get" those endorphins. This is the basis of alcohol and many drug dependencies, and it may or may not apply to sex. (One of my best friends is going through rehab right now, and this is all he ever talks about :eek:)

This
is a bit of a long article about the brain, but this and other articles on the web describe the function of endorphins and behavior.

dcw4

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
wow, thanks not puny,
in the July issue of Playboy, Dr Drew is interviewed, and what i
read partly was that, everyone with a drug or alchohol problem was
basically traumatized sexually as a child, (usually molested)
my confusion was, do children of the same age actually molest each other
(what happend to me) or do we at the time percieve it as "play".

your reply makes alot of sense to me.
right now im late for the gym, hope i dont get confused again and walk in
the womens locker room..hahah. just kidding,,

dcw4

Media
WELL... honestly i have thought of this and i thought whether it can actually happen to me, here's why
the brain is a pretty amazing piece of machinery, yes when someone had his first sexual experience as a homosexual he will find it easier to recreate that act, in fact the thing is 2 men will have sex easier than a man and a woman, let me explain, u see a man on the street, u exchange eye contact, u might go and have sex with him, this happens often in parks and in public bathroom, beaches... etc. this is less frequent for straight people, right??

so a guy that is used to having sex with a male, will find the pattern easier and more satisfying, where one night stands are more often... later in life, he might want to experience something different, and find that "pussies" and "boobies" are more his thing :) than dicks
lol

dcw4

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i wouldnt know, i have never caught the "eye" of another man or
stranger, all my sexual activity has come from the childhood friends
that messed with me.
It stopped 5 years ago, at my insistence.
Havent had sex since.
I have been told i project a "pissed" attitude, telling people take get away.
I have been working on it though,(smiling, trying to catch someones eye)
I have a women i work with hit on me alot in life, yet, I have always felt like
"damaged goods" and wouldnt know what to do if I was ever intimate with them.
shit, just re-reading this,,,
I do have other friends that wonder why I am alone, im sure they think im
gay or asexual, but no one has ever asked, but i do notice when i make the occasional
"gay" joke, they give me a look like i just insulted my mother.
i have never let myself get this far in this subject, i am closing this.
getting depressed.
dcw4

auncut10in

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
WELL... honestly i have thought of this and i thought whether it can actually happen to me, here's why
the brain is a pretty amazing piece of machinery, yes when someone had his first sexual experience as a homosexual he will find it easier to recreate that act, in fact the thing is 2 men will have sex easier than a man and a woman, let me explain, u see a man on the street, u exchange eye contact, u might go and have sex with him, this happens often in parks and in public bathroom, beaches... etc. this is less frequent for straight people, right??

so a guy that is used to having sex with a male, will find the pattern easier and more satisfying, where one night stands are more often... later in life, he might want to experience something different, and find that "pussies" and "boobies" are more his thing :) than dicks
lol

I think your statement is basically true. And I have to say if being gay was just a matter of choice, I think a lot more guys would choose to be gay than straight. You don't even have to buy the guy dinner.

I have never heard of someone that is totally gay deciding he was straight all along. It is just too difficult to be gay to not really want to try to be straight first. Maybe in 20 years it might be more of a choice, but it sure isn't in the world we currently live in. I started a thread about this a while ago. Found it quite interesting what people had to say. http://www.lpsg.org/85031-are-guys-born-straight.html

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
It's possible. It's quite uncommon, but possible. For example, if a young man started having sex with men at a young age and got heavily into the gay scene with or without serious same sex relationships, he may stay in the gay lifestyle for many years, defining himself through it, not knowing that his sexuality would evolve over time. It could also occur during this time that he was never aware of the fact that he enjoyed women for a variety of reasons until he would end up having sex with one years down the road.

For a few, sexuality is very malleable over time. Besides, who are we to say that this cannot happen? As far as I know, we all have unique sexualities, just like our handprints.

By the way, it's only because of societal taboos that straight > gay transitions are much more common during midlife.

Last edited:

piratebulldog

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
A man in my extended family came out to his mother and sisters when he was about 20. They threw a big party and celebrated and invited all sorts of people over to his 'coming out' party. Mothers and sisters all joined PFLAG and marched in every gay pride parade and festival for years. All of their cars are decorated with rainbow flags and stickers. You don't meet them for the first time without one of them mentioning 'my gay son of whom I so proud..." or 'my gay brother who I strongly support and love'...

The young man is now in his thirties and recently married a man and had a huge wedding and all....and now the couple are separated. I don't know details but it didn't work out.

I did wonder if perhaps the family members made too much of a big deal of it in the beginning in an effort to be supportive . How funny (in one sense) it would be if the poor kid was just confused somewhat and made a declaration to his family too early and they got so excited and identified so strongly with PFLAG and athat, in actuality, he was straight and really wantsto marry and have a family but he doesn't want to disappoint his family who have put such effort into all of their support.

Nah, he is gay and is fine with it...but I think it possibly could happen that a man in middleage might find himself more or less straight. Why not?