Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well like anything that catches on really big it suffered from over exposure.

Spin offs came from the original concepts, and before you knew it all became a parody of itself, complete with the symbolic Travolta suit, finger pointing in the air, wide collar unbuttoned polyester slick and all.

So the images of what remains from the parodies: the commercial Hollywood interpretations, of what we are told it was like; don't always accurately represent the realities, no more so than what will be remembered of current genres.

Which is exactly what the book I linked to points out.
You's a smart-a fellow! :wink:

A lot of the records & groups that people associate with R&B/Funk these days owe a lot to the early days of Disco. The O'Jays, LTD, The Brothers Johnson, MFSB, Heatwave... the list goes on and on. Some of their biggest hits were actually Disco tracks.

And to Uncle BB, BillyTheMountain and anyone else who liked the "Apache" clip, you may get a kick out of this. This was going around in the Techno circuits last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCE8i7W2EVQ

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A lot of the records & groups that people associate with R&B/Funk these days owe a lot to the early days of Disco. The O'Jays, LTD, The Brothers Johnson, MFSB, Heatwave... the list goes on and on. Some of their biggest hits were actually Disco tracks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCE8i7W2EVQ

It's pretty much impossible to "sift-out" Disco from 70s soul/funk.R&B, especially by the middle part of the decade and the emergence of the Philadelphia Sound, which was pervasive and ubiquitous.

And nearly every Disco album included at least one ballad, even if they were never released as singles.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I had a blast going out dancing etc in the 70's! I don't know if I could even get my hair that big again. Oh la la the clothes... I have nothing to wear like that anymore. I'm afraid a revisit would resemble this... I Will Survive...Maybe?
As much as I adore Ms. Baranski, and if you know her she's every bit as amazing in real life, I think we need to hear the quintessential disco anthem from the diva herself:

And the song and songstress that started it all:

Crank it up, and roll back the rug, y'all. :biggrin2:

Last edited: