Rice Rationing?

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
sams club is Rationing Rice and can only buy 4 50 pound bags of rice

how will people get by on only 200 pounds of rice.

it cost 19.95 for a 50 pound bag of rice at sams

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sam's Club, Costco limit rice purchases as prices rise - Apr. 23, 2008
Rice sale restrictions to have little immediate impact - Apr. 24, 2008

Sam's Club and Costco limited purchases of rice I think mostly because of small businesses stocking up in anticipation of even higher prices. Prices of rice on the chicago commodities market hit record highs the other day. How serious is the price of rice? One billion people, one out of every 6 people in the world, depend on rice as much as you think Italians depend on wheat (think pasta!) And the Italians protested prices of pasta last year. In Mexico 70,000 people demonstrated because the price of corn tortillas has increased so much. It turned into a riot among some. Haiti had riots just a few days ago.

China has price controls on rice so that the price is relatively affordable and the stomachs are full, but I think they have had price controls for years. Hungry people lead to wars and governments toppled. A failed harvest here or there and prices skyrocket, add in high oil prices for fuel and fertilizer and there will be starvation. India, Vietnam, the Philappines, Indonesia have banned almost all rice exports. Thailand the world's biggest exporter of rice so far hasn't. I think they said the price of rice has TRIPLED since January.

The prices of basic foodstuffs has increased worldwide. The price of wheat over 100%, a doubling, since last year. The Ukraine and Russia have effectively banned wheat exports by adding a 40% tax to all exports. Brazil or Argentina has banned wheat or rice exports. In Peru soldiers are now eating potato bread.

Corn (maize) prices are high too, and this when the largest corn grower, the USA, has had record/near record harvests. Thank ethanol made from corn for that. More corn goes into the tank instead of the belly of you, or farm animals. Higher meat, egg and dairy prices result. If a farmer in the USA can plant corn or wheat in his field, he'll plant what gives the higher price. Combine less acres for wheat, a diminished harvest in Australia because of drought, floods in Argentina, and bingo the price of food goes up.

We're turning to ethanol made from corn to power our cars. Archer-Daniels Midland, ADM is a very large political contributor, with their campaign donations they have supported ethanol subsidies for years. Quick, who's the largest ethanol producer? I can think of studies showing ethanol actually has a negative effect on imported oil. Most studies show a 1.2 to 1.8 gain in energy. For ever one gallon of oil you get about a gallon and a quarter of ethanol. Brazil and sugarcane ethanol is much much more efficient, with a 6:1 or 8:1 ratio. The other year President Bush mentioned cellulosic ethanol and it does hold promise. That converts the woody parts of plants by breaking down the odd sugars in plants, like xylitol. In Europe they are growing rapeseed for biodiesel. Rapeseed better known as Canola Oil in the USA. Soybeans can be made into biodiesel as well. Germany has scaled back a mandate of biodiesel from 3% to 1%.

STOP BIOFUELS (ok my little rant is over)

If you live in America or Canada you spend as little as 10% of your income on food. Europe it's slightly higher, 15% overall. Some in the third world spend 80% of their income on food. The Chinese spend on avarage 30-50% on food.

What can I say I spent waaaaayyy too much time on Yahoo video, watching the news reports from the BBC, CNN, and Reuters. And that's where I got most of the info you see in my post.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe what we're seeing here is some of what was experienced during WW II, shortages and rationing while at war, not that we could expect Bush and the rest of his propaganda machine spinning and churning out the truth for a change ? Then there's the possibility of overpopulation globally ? And then there might be the Rice producers manipulating supply for fun and profit (similar to the petroleum industry/market) ? Combine it all and Wal-Mart has to limit cheap sources of food.

Zayne

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read something I think about people not wanting to buy commodities tied to the dollar any longer, so investing in rice. I'm thinking there really is not a rice shortage, and that megatons of the stuff are being stored for trade purposes, artificially inducing 'shortage-like' price hike.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Maybe what we're seeing here is some of what was experienced during WW II, shortages and rationing while at war, not that we could expect Bush and the rest of his propaganda machine spinning and churning out the truth for a change ? Then there's the possibility of overpopulation globally ? And then there might be the Rice producers manipulating supply for fun and profit (similar to the petroleum industry/market) ? Combine it all and Wal-Mart has to limit cheap sources of food.

you might add over-"development" (what I've always called planetary destruction)

the paving over of farmland for houses, aprtment buildings, shopping malls here in the US and around the world,

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Yes.

Before calling something stupid, do your research. This is pretty serious.
I didn't call him stupid, I called the rationing stupid. Who buys more than 200 lbs of rice in a year, not many people come through my till with it... I'd not heard of it.. it certainly hasn't hit Canada... so, to me yes it sounds stupid.

visualalert

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I didn't call him stupid, I called the rationing stupid. Who buys more than 200 lbs of rice in a year, not many people come through my till with it... I'd not heard of it.. it certainly hasn't hit Canada... so, to me yes it sounds stupid.

All this global warming nonsense has prompted us to start re-purposing food products as biofuels with not-unpredictable results.

The Editors on Ethanol on National Review Online

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Texas and Louisiana grows most of the rice for the world. Since I live close to Winnie where they grow the stuff, (and I see it every damn day) I can tell you first hand there is no shortage here, nor is there shortage of fertilizer here or Louisiana for that matter. If there was a shortage of rice, it was during the hurricanes of 2005, but I don't recall that the hurricanes affected it.

There has been nothing but ideal conditions to grow the rice, and nothing has hampered it yet. Except the cost to transport it.

Looks to me like someone in the media has created an artificial shortage effectively scaring everyone.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh dear Lord! :aargh4: How is it that someone like myself who is admittedly shallow and vapid knows more about the worldwide rice shortage than the rest of you? :confused: Don't get me wrong, I still love big dicks, but I do occasionally pick up a newspaper or watch the news on television.

Rice is the primary food source for more than half the people in the world! Haitians are starving in the streets and getting sick because they are eating dirt. Why? Because there is no rice!

I know it's a stereotype; but the truth is many people of Asian, Indian, Mexican and Spanish heritage use rice as a basis of their diet. Just because you work with a Hindi girl who loves pizza doesn't mean that's what she was raised eating at home.

Do to a 6 year drought Australia's largest rice farm recently closed. They used to produce 98% of the countrys rice.
The collapse of Australia's rice production is one of several factors contributing to a doubling of rice prices in the last three months — increases that have led the world's largest exporters to restrict exports severely, spurred panicked hoarding in Hong Kong and the Philippines, and set off violent protests in countries including Cameroon, Egypt, Ethiopia, Haiti, Indonesia, Italy, Ivory Coast, Mauritania, the Philippines, Thailand, Uzbekistan and Yemen.
Ricegrowers' Association of Australia

New Green Revolution May Solve Rice Shortage in Asia

Price of rice prompts renewed anger in Haiti - Boston.com

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yep we have one of the worst droughts in history.
thank goodness we have had rain this season in most of the rice growing areas.
(Lord knows there was a wet season this year in the tropics.)
With the rain there should be a rice crop this season so suppies should increase and prices should drop.
Fingers crossed.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I can't imagine buying a 50 lb bag of rice. Yes, rice and beans are a staple in my diet, but I still have rice left over from the last time I bought a 10 lb bag of the stuff over a year ago.

The media over reacts. They survive on ratings. If there's a shortage of ratings they'll find some small anomaly in the regular day-to-day process of modern life and make it sound as if the sky is falling.

What they aren't talking about (which is very interesting) is why petroleum combustibles are going through the roof --- not just in the USA, but everywhere. Somehow they avoid talking about the fact the price of oil has little to do with OPEC but EVERYTHING to do with playing crap shoot in the commodities exchange markets. If crude oil were regulated under the same rules as public utilities, there would be little to complain about. However, don't plan on that ever happening. In Argentina AND Nevada I belong to an electrical cooperative. As a result, electricity is cheap. But EDUNUR, the electric power company that lights Buenos Aires is a private corporation and therefore electricity is relatively expensive. Electric cooperatives also exist small populated areas in the USA and Canada. Imagine how cheap gasoline/diesel would be if I could belong to a petroleum cooperative? But no. Somehow the concept is illegal.

We're just sheep led by über petrol corporations who have us securely by the nuts (even in your female).