Richard Sandrak 'The World's Strongest Boy'

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Wrey, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Wrey

Wrey New Member

OK, first:

Please do not post any photos in this thread!

I promise you will understand why....

I'm watching TLC and there is a show concerning a child named Richard Sandrak. He is 'The World's Strongest Boy.' His family has had him weight lifting and 'on the circuit' since the age of 6. He is 11 years old at the time of the making of the show and has the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger but only at 1/10 scale. Part of me is amazed, part of me is horrified. I'm not really sure what to feel about this. Is his family super supportive, or is this a form of child abuse? If you have seen the show, chime in and tell me what you think, because I am feeling confused about what to feel....

2. Vein Man

Vein Man Member

Wrey,

I seem to recall that a while back the Richard Sandrak affair was pretty widely exposed as child abuse. I believe there may even have been a family break-up over it all.

I have seen the lad interviewed and he is trying to put togethert a new and more normal life away from that pressure to be extraordinary.

Cheers,

3. B_Leatherboy

B_Leatherboy New Member

The parents are nuts. It's child abuse.
    :mad:

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I've seen coverage of the boy's life, too. It's not dissimilar to raising a girl to be a beauty queen in my opinion.

It would be nice to see him mature into a happy adult but it's not likely.

5. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    His so-called trainer was giving him steroids.Apparently his father
    knew about it.
    He now is growing up normally, no lifting or training.

6. agnslz

Gold Member

Ditto! I think that both this, and little girls in beauty pageants, are downright creepy. Children should be allowed to be children! They'll have the whole rest of their lives to look and act like adults, they shouldn't be doing it while they are children.

7. Ganymede

Ganymede Guest

8. digitalhunk007

Pecker is right. The boy's situation is no different than 'raising a girl to be a beauty queen'. Take for instance, Jon Benet. That little girl was in all sorts of beauty pageants—then in the end, she was found murdered.

I find it completely horrifying that any parent would want to put their child through this type of thing. If this isn't child abuse, then I don't know what it is. There would be no way on God's green earth that I would ever allow my parents to put my 4 year old sister in some kind of beauty pageant.

Children need to be children and adults need to be adults. SICK AND WRONG.

9. OmahaBeef

Gold Member

Very close. From what I understand, his father was a semi-violent felon and when the kid's trainer asked the father if he can have the kid's blood tested, the father threatened to kill the trainer.

Anyone who has been into the Iron Game for a long time and understands the human endocrine system can tell you with 99.9% accuracy that his father had him on the "gas". I concur. Which undoubtedly, is child abuse. Chances are he will have hypogonadism/growth malfunctions when puberty hits.

...OB

10. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Too true. But its not different than an over eager Hockey/Baseball/Football/soccer parent frocing their child to
    excell at all costs. Even if said child doesn't want to.

11. digitalhunk007

Oh very true, jakeatolla! And it's not just sports, but it's even the same thing with school and grades.

I knew of a girl in high school who had parents that wouldn't accept anything less than A's on her report card. C's were okay but B's were totally unacceptable. If she got any B's on her report card, her parents would ground her for a month because they believed that she "wasn't living up to her fullest potential".

And how did I find this out? I was never friends with her—she was one of the last people on earth that I wanted to be friends with. But her mother was a teacher and her father was a forest ranger and spokesperson.

10 years ago, one afternoon, he came into my freshmen English class and told us all about the high expectations that he and his wife had for both his son and daughter when it came to school academics. Then what pissed me off even more was when he totally dissed students like me who wanted to pursue art & design careers. Why? Because he believed that art/design was a hobby and NOT a profession.

After that visit, I lost all respect for that man—and I STILL hate him (and his wife) to this day.

Draft saved Draft deleted