Rick Perry signs anti-abortion pledge

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am leaning on voting for Perry however didn't he recently state he is against legalizing gay marriage or unions? :frown1:

He's not just against marriage equality, he's for reinstating sodomy laws, which were banned as unconstitutional in 2003. He's so anti-gay it's sickening.

On topic: Perry, Bachmann and Palin (who may yet still announce) are the top cheerleaders for the Culture Wars among the most viable candidates, but Santorum and Cain are right behind them. Romney was pro-choice as a senatorial candidate and as governor of Massachusetts but seems to have a change of heart.

There hasn't been a pro-choice GOP candidate for President in a generation and one-half.

ripsrips

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

umami_tsunami

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Would you rather have him sign a I'm for abortion and killing unborn babies pledge?

What and deny the bible-punching idiot fringe it's moron king? I love watching odious fucktards like Perry squirm when a reporter gets a hold of him and asks what he would do if his spouse or daughter were gang raped and became pregnant.

That piece of shit Santorum was on CNN yesterday rolling around his little shitball about life beginning at conception and the soul being inserted by the lord blah, blah. Never mind that the brain of a fruitfly has approximately 50,000 times more cells than the zygote at that time, we want to give it the same rights and opportunities as a fully formed, adult human being. Ultimate stupidity.

Perry would still lose in a landslide once normal people learned anything else about him. He's a willfully ignorant liar.

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hopefully just against Unions.

ripsrips, they don't see it as a baby, they see it as a mass of cells.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Perhaps because that's what it is.

I have a sister who is ten years younger than me. When she was still an infant, she was infected with Eastern Equine Encephalitis; the net result is that she has the affect of someone with profound autism. She can neither read nor write, and her speech is difficult for those unacquainted with her to understand.

When she was 16, she began abusing herself horribly, resulting in the loss of much of her hair and a fractured skull. It was eventually determined that she'd been sexually abused repeatedly for months. Bear in mind that although mentally she functions somewhere between the ages of three and (maybe) five, physically she was completely mature and capable of conception.

Anyone who would force her to bring a conception to term is a monster. The only good news in this entire sad story is that such never happened, somewhat miraculously.

I cannot justify an abortion for my sister but not for some other woman, who may or may not have been in the proper place in her life to bring a child into her life. I will never begrudge anyone the right to ultimately decide what to do with his/her own body: that's not my place.

Though he's hardly one of my political heroes, Bill Clinton got it right when he said that abortions should be "legal, safe and rare". A woman is not a baby oven, she's a person. An early-term pregnancy is indeed "a mass of cells", and no one should be forced to carry an unplanned, unwanted pregnancy to term.

Last edited:

umami_tsunami

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Yes. And if you had not been indoctrinated by religious bullshit and had any amount of reasonable intelligence, you would see it exactly this way, too.

If you can honestly say that a microscopic cluster of cells tens of thousands of times smaller than the brain of fly has had a "soul" implanted in it and it deserves the exact same rights we give to fully developed adult human beings, then I am here to say you are wrong. Absolutely, arrogantly and ignorantly wrong. And we have thankfully acknowledged that error through secular progress and reason when the supreme court handed down Rowe v Wade almost 40 years ago. If you don't like abortion, don't get one and STFU.

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media
Conservatives don't want to feed, shelter, provide education for or in really anyway meaningful way aid the poor. By and large, the people who opt for abortion over adoption and other alternatives aren't millionaires- they're poor people, who can't afford to have a baby and raise it.

While I think abortions should be a whole lot more rare than they are they should nonetheless remain an option... and it always surprises me, given the conservative stance on the poor, that they don't think so too.

It's a mass of cells now and you're all for protecting it and giving it rights and all that jazz. But the minute it's born? Fuck it. It deserves no health care, no legitimate education, and really nothing else from the government save for a Marine with an M16 standing at the border between Texas and Mexico.

JSZ

Last edited:

w1952tq

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
he's a hairy republican conservative cuntbag that doesn't understand the concept of sex. the most he will ever get is from a blown up sheep. if he wins I'm out of this country.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm pretty conservative in a lot of ways but I am pro choice.

I really never get why conservatives and christians need to push this as a main theme of the party.

There are MANY valid reasons to have an abortion. There are a few really poor/selfish reasons too.

I'm against abortion in my personal life (expect for all the valid reasons - so I guess I'm only really against the selfish abortions) but it is not up to me to dictate this to others.

As for the religious aspect - I have no problems with the right to advertise against it but in the end I let God sort that one out.

To me this is one example of the right doing what we hate about the left.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not pro-abortion, but I am pro-justice. And the American legal system has deemed the legality of a woman's right to abortion. If a political party can put that much credence in trying to overturn that ruling then they have no right to bully against those trying to overturn laws banning cannabis.

Despite what others believe, this country was not founded on any religious principle, but on the basic right of humankind to exist in a free society. Religion abhors freedom. It favors its brand of "freedom," which is nothing more than virtual handcuffs.

Show me the difference between a country based on Muslim law and one based on Christian law. Aside from the severity of punishments in theory they are identical.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Show me the difference between a country based on Muslim law and one based on Christian law. Aside from the severity of punishments in theory they are identical.

You go live in the middle east for a while and you would be crying to get into a Christian gov't controlled country.

You statement is beyond absurd and shows how much you do not know.

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media

Hand this country to the Tea Party and give them unbound, unfettered, unchecked, unilateral control of absolutely everything I'd go so far as to say this country would be worse in terms of what you're talking about. A theocracy based on the Old Testament? The very notion brings a chill down my spine.

Thankfully, the United States isn't a theocracy, and in spite of attempts by the right, there is a distinct separation of church and state (just not between church and politics.) Letting it slide in that direction though and I've no doubt that's just what we'd get- enactment of Leviticus into actual law.

JSZ

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hand this country to the Tea Party and give them unbound, unfettered, unchecked, unilateral control of absolutely everything I'd go so far as to say this country would be worse in terms of what you're talking about. A theocracy based on the Old Testament? The very notion brings a chill down my spine.

Thankfully, the United States isn't a theocracy, and in spite of attempts by the right, there is a distinct separation of church and state (just not between church and politics.) Letting it slide in that direction though and I've no doubt that's just what we'd get- enactment of Leviticus into actual law.

JSZ
Hey, we're not basing it on the Old Testament. There weren't any Christians then.:tongue:

There is a separation of Church and State, as there is not State religion. However, there must be a base moral standard, typically a Christian or Deist one, which is what our Founding Fathers were, and which was what they used and believed in when creating this nation.

I'd say there's a bit of hysteria in your posts if you think we're going to "enact Leviticus into law".

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media
Hey, we're not basing it on the Old Testament. There weren't any Christians then.:tongue:

Well, that's a comfort.

There is a separation of Church and State, as there is not State religion. However, there must be a base moral standard,

Says who? We have a set of laws in this country, that when broken, result in consequence for said offender. Who says we have to be moral? To put it point blank, the American dream isn't a moral covenant, it's a materialistic pursuit, defined by how much money we have and how much freedom said money can buy us- it has nothing to do with being moral and is in fact gained often times by less than moral means. I don't answer to the morality police and as an American, it's my right to be an A-moral ass hole if that's how I chose to live my life and the government has no business telling me otherwise.

typically a Christian or Deist one,

I don't agree that there has to be a moral standard to begin with, nor that the government should be the one defining but even if I did agree with those two things, I still wouldn't agree it needs to be based off a Christianity or any other form mythology. I don't need a book cobbled together by self help authors of their day to tell me the difference between right and wrong but even if I did that would be irrelevant- thanks to the set of laws we are and have been operating under for quite some time. I'm not a Christian... but I somehow still have the good sense and common decency to note that murder, rape, and theft are wrong. Funny how that works, isn't it?

which is what our Founding Fathers were, and which was what they used and believed in when creating this nation.

... I'm going to leave that for someone else. Honestly... That's about as "throw it into reverse" backwards, wrong as it gets.

I'd say there's a bit of hysteria in your posts if you think we're going to "enact Leviticus into law".

Ten commandments, 'Love God' monument triggers court fight - USATODAY.com

I'd be paranoid and hysterical if I were afraid of the possibility. I am not. There's no chance the scenario I mentioned would ever happen (The Tea Party entrenched in all three branches of government in majority numbers) so I'm not all that worried about it. Ron Paul has a greater chance of being elected President in a 50 state sweep, twice, than the Tea Party does of running the government. That said? In that alternate reality universe... I don't think being concerned which parts of the Bible they would make into law would make one a hysteric. You say it wouldn't be Old Testament (which I don't agree with since they like to cite it so often as evidence of whats wrong with various groups of people "in gods eyes") as though the New Testament were completely absent things an ordinary person might find questionable or suspect were said things enacted into law.

JSZ

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
He was for the states deciding until the right told him he wasn't.

He also WAS for trashing Social Security and anti child labor laws, until he became "candidate Perry".

Why is Rick Perry distancing himself from his controversial book? - The Week

Look for all of the wacko Republicant candidates to do a lot of two stepping during this campaign, to align themselves with Tea Party agendas while waffling and flip flopping on programs like Social Security that many in their OWN constituency depend on.

Smoke and mirror time again.

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hope the GOP pick is Perry.

Won't have to worry about him being elected President. He may be a prize for conservatives, but he is a fail to anyone else.