Rick Warren Abandons Fight Against Gay Marriage?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Principessa, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what do heterosexual people lose by allowing gay marriage to occur? :confused:

#1 Principessa, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. houtx48

Gold Member

what's he going to whine about now?

3. D_Pubert Stabbingpain

D_Pubert Stabbingpain Account Disabled

the link you posted also clearly shows his endorsement of CA's Prop 8 claiming marriage should be between a man and a woman and the courts overturned the will of the people but yet, when interviewed by Larry King, he denied any endorsement. He claimis that the recent gay marriage decisions are not his agenda and claims that all "his gay friends" know all the great AIDS work he is doing (that alone should raise a red flag to you as he is equating AIDS with gay!). He is just another hypocritical, lying religious right wing pig (from the looks of the extra fat he now has under his chin!) whose sole purpose is to make more money for his own church, putting more money in his pocket and more food in his belly. Mark my words, in the next 10 years he will be "outed" by an ex-boyfriend (or, ex-bookstore trick!) just like Haggard was. Every gay-bashing pastor is a closet case just screaming to come out.

When is real sad about Larry King is that he does not put these people in their place during these interviews. In fact, there are very, very few TV "personalities" who will come right out and call a guest a liar because they are afraid of alienating their audience. That's why I don't typically watch this crap. Almost all such interviews are simply a platform to promote their own book and in fact, Warren did just that if you go back and watch that again.

Have a nice day!

4. invisibleman

Gold Member

I dunno. :rolleyes:

5. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    I still do not approve of the way he used the opportunity to speak Obama gave him to aggrandize his own position.
    He is just about as offensive as Fallwell.

6. houtx48

Gold Member

the right wing fundies organizations are falling apart, papa dobson said all the issues were lost so he quit. It's fun to watch the republicans flounder, give flip flop a whole new meaning.

7. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hout,

I understand what your saying. Just be careful equating "Republican" with "Right Wing Fundie." The two terms are not mutually exclusive. There are, believe it or not, Republicans who are decent people. Heck, some of them aren't even Christians.

I am very much enjoying the spectacle of a floundering fundie movement. I'm right along with you there. The spectacle of the dissolving Republican party, while i usually count myself as their opposition, is really rather sad to me. Without opposition, there is no debate. Without debate there are ideas/people that get overlooked.

OK - enough of today's Political Science 101 lecture. Carry on.

8. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

9. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    As usual, I couldn't agree more.

10. invisibleman

Gold Member

I agree that there are some decent folk out there who are Republicans. And there are some Republicans who aren't Christian. It seems that the ones who are most vocal and most influential are the Republicans who are in right-wing fundamental Christian interest groups.

And because there are Republicans that are decent doesn't mean that they are for gay marriage either. They aren't sympathizing or empathizing how gay people feel. They don't
    care. They don't. They aren't EVEN budging on their position. And there are Democrats who feel the same as the Republicans on gay marriage as well.

11. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    For the non-religious it's question of equality vs. identity. Some feel it bastardizes the penultimate (perhaps producing offspring being the ultimate) hallmark of a heterosexual relationship and cheapening it.

I guess the terms "marriage" vs "same-sex marriage" aren't enough of a difference. Maybe the hetero couples can append their union as "Darwinian marriage"... and there can be a fuss over terminology and state-recognized terminology.

12. faceking

Albums:
    Yikes... The Supreme Court makeup, percentages in both the House and Senate, only 4 months off an 8 year term, current voter registrations, Obama's dissapproval ratings doubling already... and it's the fall of Rome already for the GOP... wishful thinking to label "spectacle of dissolving".

The Patriots missed the playoffs... there's a team in disolution if I ever saw one.

Back to the OP.

#12 faceking, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  13. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Leave my Pats out of this, face. :biggrin1:

14. hud01

Gold Member

The party has pandered to the religious right since Reagan. Most of the decent Republicans have been marginalized by their own party and the Democrats.

Chafee in RI, Shays in CT have both lost because the party is so associated with the radical wing.

15. houtx48

Gold Member

joy, i seriously doubt that the repbs. are going away as you know these things go in cycles somewhere down the line the democrats will get to big for their britches and will get slapped down just like the republicans have been.

16. faceking

Albums:
    Must Republicans I know aren't that religious, or right-wing. They are pretty pragmatic and not that emotional it seems. It's easy to throw out "neo-con", but when I think of many of the 2nd and 3rd generation Asian republicans out here... that's the last thing I think of. Too much Olberman and Maher results in poking-fun-at-neocons, without true understand of whom the actual enemy is. Perhaps because I'm in California mostly...

17. invisibleman

Gold Member

Well, FYI, this is not a competition for who will be getting phased out or "slapped down" next. And this wasn't a scorekeeping thing. See, that is the problem.

18. hockeyguy741

Gold Member

Albums:
    If these politicians had put as much effort into watching the economy as they did worrying about who's getting married to who, chances are the economy wouldn't be in such a shambles.

19. invisibleman

Gold Member

I doubt George W. Bush lost sleep over gay marriage though. :rolleyes:

20. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I know guys (and they're mostly guys) who refuse to believe that two people of the same gender can truly love and care for one another. This is especially true when talking about two males getting married. It really just freaks some straight guys out. Maybe it makes them question their own sexuality, I'm not sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted