Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

Was Ricky Gervais offensive when he hosted the Golden Globes?

• Yes

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 67.9%

• Total voters

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"...the other is Tim Allen" might've been my favorite line. after all the accolades he dished on Hanks, you knew it was coming, but he still nailed the delivery and the timing.

honestly, nothing he said was truly "offensive". he implied robert downey jr had a drug problem; robert downey jr did have a drug problem. he implied the head of HFPA was old; the head of HFPA is old. he implied that tom hanks was awesome and tim allen sucked; tom hanks is awesome and tim allen does suck. he implied 'certain scientologists' were closet queens, and ive read that same sentiment about a million times somewhere on this board.

the only defense i can give towards the outrage is that people weren't expecting to be roasted, and got blasted in the face. i still think that's a weak argument, because ricky gervais does nothing but roast people, all the time. that's his shtick. he has completely mastered the ability to insult someone to their face, then give a little "no, im just playin wink wink" but leave you feeling like he's actually thinking "no, im just joking about just playin, i really do think you suck" ...its a difficult premise to pull off, but he nails it.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I find his humour hilarious and quite spot on :tongue:
In some cases (like the scientology-joke) he didn't mention celebs their names, but everyone knew immidiatly about who he was talking. That is such a powerful joke, because even the one who got offended by it can't complain because his name wasn't mentioned.

It's television, it's bound to happen when you're famous. Especially in Hollywood.
Worst there is that paparazzi follows you everywhere while in other countries, like here in Belgium, celebrities can walk on the street without being followed by fans or paparazzi.

I found him to be unamusing, rude and obnoxious. I hope they don't invite him back.
Yeh, same. I do feel a bit sorry for him now, but he was crap. If there were one or two mean gags and other funny stuff, it would be ok - but there weren't. I've never liked him tho, so maybe I'm biased...

Russell Brand and Gervais are rubbish at hosting. Get Catherine Tate and Stephen Fry next year. :)

^^ Kathy would be mean but funny. Kylie would giggle and show her bum. ;)

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Russell Brand and Gervais are rubbish at hosting. Get Catherine Tate and Stephen Fry next year. :)

I actually like both Russell and Ricky - but not as hosts. They'd be deadly dinner guests though, lol.

I like Catherine & Stephen - but I don't think they're too well known on this side of the pond.

B_bi_mmf

Expert Member
Media
I think that Ricky has done some great stuff.

At the awards he definitely pushed the envelope, but most of it was a refreshing change from the usual hype and ass-kissing. And I think he does help to boost the ratings because people want to see just how outrageous he will be.

On the other hand, my wife, who usually likes him, thought he went way too far.

My favorite line on Sunday was his last: "I want to thank God for making me an atheist."

So many egotistical entertainers thank God in their acceptance speeches (especially the country singers) for taking a direct interest in their careers.

S

superbot

He's WAY OUT of his depth in America.He's actually becoming more and more like David Brent (The Office) the word that comes to mind is CRINGEWORTHY.His delivery is awkward and self concious.Sorry but he's a one trick pony and that programme finished years ago!!