Ridiculous Fines (I shot the sherrif)

Javierdude22: Well, I had a peachy day yesterday...

So a buddy of mine and myself are driving through The Hague to go to an electronics store to check out some computers and DVD-players, when all of a sudden three cops jump from behind a small van to stop us.

With a blinding smile on his face a cop asks us to roll down the window and with a Disney like happiness yells: seatbelt control!

Exsqueeze me? Seatbelt control?

'Yes' the not so bright looking policeman tells me, everyone in this car should have their seatbelt on, both of you don't so both of you get a fine.

So I start checking for hidden camera's and that annoying tv host rom Candid Camera but alas....all I see is three more sadistically endowed cops pulling over other unaware drivers on the other side of the road.

That's when it hit me: I'm screwed.

Do you have ID? 'No" only my student card. That'll do. Name adress city etc. You are getting a 40 Euro fine for this. 40 Euro's!! And a convicted murderer gets 4 years?

'Well, I know where our government is closing it's budget deficit from this year', I tell him. 'We'll get to that in a second', he says as he is trying to finally use his second grade knowledge of spelling on my name.

When he's finally done, he tries to use police school calmness on me by replying with a rather see-through wisdom that 'No, this is not how our government will close it's budget deficit this year'.

Then I'm like 'What the hell'. 'Well 'Sir' the thing is that we have a crime rate in the top 3 of the Western World and thousands of unsolved deaths, and here we find 6 cops pulling over students who hardly have the cash to buy socks, for their friggin' seatbelt!! I would rather see you do something worthwhile with my tax money instead of ripping me off some more through other channels than the IRS. If it were gun controls, or at least something like driving and using your cell phone (illegal here) than I would have a little more understanding for this waste of time since that could cause somebody else harm if you cause an accident. But not wearing my own friggin' seatbelt does not cause accidents, and it would even be easier to clean up if something were to happen as you wouldnt have to crowbar me out of the car, but scrape me off the floor instead.

The not so bright looking policeman looked at me rather uninterested, and even less bright than I already would give him credit for, so I figured there was no point.

'This is why the Dutch look at police officers with no respect mister'....but here I must say police school paid off....a guilttrip is useless on cops...

Have a good afternoon he said with that 'I'm gonna jerk off over my little ticketbooklet' face. Yeah....you too dude
And that's the thing, the biggest paradox in his remark was that it was gonna be nothing near a good afternoon, this little 5 minute trip through our nation's world of law cost me a day of good humour, 40 Euro's in cash, and tonights point in working, as those six hours will flow into my beloved country's treasurebox.

Am I wrong here or does this ssound like a government sponsored campaign to screw a few hundred citizens over. And then they wonder why we don't spend enough....that''s cause your sitting on my money Harry!!
(Ever see our PM? I now know how Harry Potter will look like when he hits 40).

Long post...long day...

awellhungboi: I'm sorry to hear that, Javier! Guess there goes the DVD player. I thought only the U.S. had draconian laws designed to 'protect' people.

Although, you should come to North Carolina. If you had talked that way to a cop here, you'd probably get a truncheon upside the head.

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yes, 40 euros... a fine for a ticketless travel with RER from Gare du Nord to Charles de Gaulle airport is 20 euros. A colleague of mine received such a gift and had to pay it sur le champ !!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Javierdude22: Thanx Monstro, The DVD player indeed was not an option anymore, more cause my mood was down the drain :).

And I sometimes wish the police would be a bit tougher as in NC! I was actually surprised I could say what I said (Although I always stayed polite 8))...thats the thing here, the police are soft, and are basically viewed like a government body designed not to hélp anymore, but more or less just to bug.

That is a bit un-nuanced of course, but not very far from the truth I have to say.

Raal, I know man, ticketless travel can bequite the moneygrabber!!...happened only once thank God, and it was quite cheap back then, now you also pay a 30 Euro fine for ticketless travel.

Longhornjok: [quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=99;num=1064654041;start=0#0 date=09/27/03 at 02:05:01]....all I see is three more sadistically endowed cops...

That's when it hit me: I'm screwed.[/quote]
Hmmm, it sounds like that could have been a painful situation there, JD! ;)

SpeedoGuy: I certainly understand your frustration with that situation, Javierdude. A similar thing happened to me last year and blemished my spotless driving record. :mad:

But isn't your unhappiness better directed at the elected civil oversight of the police force? The cops on duty are just doing what they've been told to do. Venting at them doesn't seem likely to accomplish much.

Where I live there aren't enough police to enforce traffic law. The state patrol is short 400 troopers due to budget crisis. While that may seem a reason for some drivers to celebrate, I would feel alot better knowing they were on duty patrolling for drunk drivers, etc.

SG

7x6andchg: Well the fine for not wearing your seatbelt in Wisconsin is $35 (about E 30).

Don't even get me started on SPEEDING TICKETS. First of all the Wisconsin State Patrol would give a ticket to their own mother.

Secondly, they START at $75 (67 E?) and go up from there - AND are doubled in work zones.

7x6&C

7x6andchg: Oh well at least we don't have to pay those then...ours are all civil offenses...no court UNLESS you fight.

I shouldn't say all...DWI and such are criminal.

7x6&C