Right turn on red.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Is this the law where you live?

It is in my state of NJ, unless posted otherwise.

Also, in the major cities where you live is it allowed? (because I know that in Manhattan it is not allowed.)

I'd also be interested about other countries' laws on this.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In California, motorists are permitted to make a right on red after a full stop and checking both ways to see that it is safe to proceed.

What a joke! As a cyclist, I observe drivers flying up to the intersection with a cell phone on their ear, they go right through the stop line at the crosswalk, never look to the right, take a fast glance to the left, and speed off. Even if pedestrians/cyclists have the white WALK sign, we have to watch the increasing number of morons who don't feel the need to stop at stop signs and red lights because they're in a hurry. It's really getting bad.

SlimGuySB

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, I am glad that you are not funny.

Excuse me? In the UK the turn would be a left on red as we drive on the other side of the road - a right turn would involve crossing a lane of traffic. So the equivilent of a right on red would be a left on red and you can't do them. It wasn't an attempt to be funny.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Excuse me? In the UK the turn would be a left on red as we drive on the other side of the road - a right turn would involve crossing a lane of traffic. So the equivilent of a right on red would be a left on red and you can't do them. It wasn't an attempt to be funny.

LOL, you are right. I was thinking with an American mind. I think of a left turn on red as a major collision. (I forgot you people drive on the wrong side of the road) JUST KIDDING!

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In California, motorists are permitted to make a right on red after a full stop and checking both ways to see that it is safe to proceed.

What a joke! As a cyclist, I observe drivers flying up to the intersection with a cell phone on their ear, they go right through the stop line at the crosswalk, never look to the right, take a fast glance to the left, and speed off. Even if pedestrians/cyclists have the white WALK sign, we have to watch the increasing number of morons who don't feel the need to stop at stop signs and red lights because they're in a hurry. It's really getting bad.

That's why they call it a "California stop"

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL, you are right. I was thinking with an American mind. I think of a left turn on red as a major collision. (I forgot you people drive on the wrong side of the road) JUST KIDDING!

Any other countries in the world where they drive on the WRONG :)biggrin1::biggrin1:) side of the road?!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Around here, they are called "Jersey walls," and yes, they are EVERYWHERE.

I never heard that term untill this year. I never knew they had a name besides traffic barrier.

But they were created here in NJ, because WE NEED THEM.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Jersey walls / barriers... but what are they?!:confused:

They are dividers on highways made of poured concrete, about 3 feet tall and help avoid you going into the oncoming lanes to avoid head on collisions.

They are also called K-rails.

SlimGuySB

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Whoa! THree countries I'll never drive in!

What's a Jersey barrier?

Honestly, when you're sitting in the opposite seat, it comes pretty naturally. It usually only takes me a couple of minutes to readjust and that is just getting used to the change in relative position of the rest of the car. I've never tried to head off in the wrong lane!