Right turn on red.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Honestly, when you're sitting in the opposite seat, it comes pretty naturally. It usually only takes me a couple of minutes to readjust and that is just getting used to the change in relative position of the rest of the car. I've never tried to head off in the wrong lane!

I would be afraid to drive in a country that drives in the opposite lanes that I am accutomed to. Because if you come to an intersection where there are no cars or no one way signs, I would worry that my instincts would put me in the wrong direction.

But the head on collision discussion is about the Jersey barriers, when you are driving in the right lane and swerve into the wrong on-coming by mistake or if you slide on a slick or ice covered road.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In California, motorists are permitted to make a right on red after a full stop and checking both ways to see that it is safe to proceed.
In NJ and PA the law is the same but many ignore it.:mad:

What a joke! As a cyclist, I observe drivers flying up to the intersection with a cell phone on their ear, they go right through the stop line at the crosswalk, never look to the right, take a fast glance to the left, and speed off. Even if pedestrians/cyclists have the white WALK sign, we have to watch the increasing number of morons who don't feel the need to stop at stop signs and red lights because they're in a hurry. It's really getting bad. YUP!!!

I would be afraid to drive in a country that drives in the opposite lanes that I am accutomed to. Because if you come to an intersection where there are no cars or no one way signs, I would worry that my instincts would put me in the wrong direction. Same here, but I'm dyslexic and often confuse left and right as well. :redface: My friends hubby actually had a moped accident in the Bahama's because of this.:frown1:
But the head on collision discussion is about the Jersey barriers, when you are driving in the right lane and swerve into the wrong on-coming by mistake or if you slide on a slick or ice covered road. Black ice is a wicked bad thing! I actually hit a Jersey barrier and a guard rail in January 2005 after spinning out of control on black ice. Totaled my 94 Volvo wagon and I still can't watch those 'Safe Happens' Volkswagen commercials without cringing and having a flashback. :redface:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would be afraid to drive in a country that drives in the opposite lanes that I am accutomed to. Because if you come to an intersection where there are no cars or no one way signs, I would worry that my instincts would put me in the wrong direction. Same here, but I'm dyslexic and often confuse left and right as well. :redface: My friends hubby actually had a moped accident in the Bahama's because of this.:frown1:
But the head on collision discussion is about the Jersey barriers, when you are driving in the right lane and swerve into the wrong on-coming by mistake or if you slide on a slick or ice covered road. Black ice is a wicked bad thing! I actually hit a Jersey barrier and a guard rail in January 2005 after spinning out of control on black ice. Totaled my 94 Volvo wagon and I still can't watch those 'Safe Happens' Volkswagen commercials without cringing and having a flashback. :redface:

Wow! My hat is off to you . I have never hit one of them but just having witnessed it was enough to make me cringe.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Some states allow right-on-red from both lanes of a double right lane. I'm not used to that. Florida allows right-on-red from only the rightmost lane.

I've been to "reversed" :biggrin: countries and left-on-red is strange.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
In Virginia a driver may turn right on red - we don't have to, although we'll surely get honked at if we don't.

We may also turn left on red if we are turning from the left lane of a one-way street onto another one-way street on which the traffic is going to our left.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Any other countries in the world where they drive on the WRONG :)biggrin1::biggrin1:) side of the road?!

A third of countries drive on the left, mostly the commonwealth, plus Indonesia, Japan, some former Portuguese colonies. All of southern and eastern Africa, Suriname, and the US Virgins. About half used of all countries to, the US switched over following independance, Canada switched over as well to avoid confusion.

Re the OP, right on red here, and from a one way to a one way, left on red as well. (that is if you are in the left lane of a one way facing a light, and traffic is to your left on the cross street, after stopping and looking, you can proceed.

What makes things interesting here, is because of studded tires, the painted traffic lines are quickly worn away, it becomes a matter of opinion where the lanes etc. are.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They are dividers on highways made of poured concrete, about 3 feet tall and help avoid you going into the oncoming lanes to avoid head on collisions.

They are also called K-rails.

Jersey Barrier refers to a specific type, with a particular way of connecting the sections, there are several. The generic term is just traffic barrier, I work part time in a local concrete precast plant where they are made. They have steel forms for three different types.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In Virginia a driver may turn right on red - we don't have to, although we'll surely get honked at if we don't.

We may also turn left on red if we are turning from the left lane of a one-way street onto another one-way street on which the traffic is going to our left.

I never heard of Left turn on red. We do not have it in NJ. But then again we are the most densely populated state.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are some places where they drive on the right, and mostly have cars with the controls on the right, such as Afghanistan, most cars came in from Pakistan, where they drive on the left. Likewise the Russian far east, most cars are used Japanese ones. You have to have a passenger looking out, as well as the driver.:eek::eek:
I think the opposite is the case in the Virgin Islands, most cars are from the US, and they drive on the left side of the road.
Most early US cars had the controls on the right.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...(because I know that in Manhattan it is not allowed.)...

Actually, that's not quite right. It's not permitted ANYWHERE within the five boroughs, unless otherwise stated. Where it is permitted, you can count on getting stuck behind someone who is so used to not being permitted to make the turn, that all the honking in the world won't budge them. Often enough, that someone is me. LOL

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I found this interesting tidbit.

Making a left-turn on red from a two-way street is legal in only five states: Alaska, Idaho, Michigan, Oregon, and Washington. In Washington, freeway on-ramps are considered one-way streets for the purposes of the left turn on red law.