rip off britain?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by selkent, Jul 31, 2007.

1. selkent

selkent New Member

Is there any reason why products from the U.S are so much more expensive in the U.K? I am British and travel to London regularly. On one of my visits I bought a Krispy Kreme doughnut for 1 pound 10 pence. For a single doughnut. I presume they don't cost that much in the States. The same accusation can be levelled at Apple, Ralph Lauren, Gap etc. Any suggestions?:mad:

2. jeunessedoree

jeunessedoree Member

HeHe....I guess it's because of the natural price differences that come with different countries. For example, a Samsung tv here might be more expensive than it would in Korea because Korea is the country of its origin.

P.S. This whole reply was a shot in the dark... :)

3. speshk

speshk New Member

That does seem very high considering how weak the dollar is. You should see the price of British and European imports here, though. :eek:

4. dong20

Gold Member

In the US it will priced in $, in the UK while the price is often the same, or very close, it's priced in £. Right now £1 ~ 2$. It's bargain time for visitors to the US, but it must sting the other way around.

Sometimes the differential is partly or even wholly justified but some some items; software and intangibles especially, you will rarely if ever get a sensible, credible answer out of a vendor as to why the price is hiked.

The reason should be obvious, things are priced at what the market will bear. Few sellers will look you in the eye and tell you that of course. Not everything is expensive here, and London is not especially representative of UK pricing as a whole for many things; especially those based around tourism and leisure activities.

5. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    Ha Ha another great reason to get out of the UK. Sorry but everything is a rip off there, but at the end of the day the retailers will charge what people are prepared to pay, you bought the donut so whos fault is it that it cost that much. Next time you think something is a rip off don`t buy it and urge your friends and family to do the same. the only way anything will cvhange is if there is a mass pblic movement against over pricing. Saying all of this, its one of the reasons that the economy is doing so well. Start lowering prices and corners have to be cut, jobs are lost,Retailers will always try and keep their bottom line intact whatever it takes. So there you go, this is just opinion and supposition.
    Oh by the way i can go to Walmart(Asda for you UK boys and girls) and buy 12 Krispy Kreme for $5.50 if you convert that to UK currency thats about £2.20.
    God bless Canada

6. speshk

speshk New Member

We getting cornholed here, too, you may be sure, namely by the banks, insurance companies and the energy providers. These things can't be boycotted.

What should we expect? This country is being run by CRIMINALS. All our rights, including consumer rights, are vanishing. Corporation have been given a license to steal by the Republicans.

Just wait till we, and the world, sees the full effects of their putrid corruption! (Tony Soprano is alive and well. He and his crew moved to Washington, DC).

The Republican Depression of 1929 will look mild by comparison.

7. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Now imagine what the Brit army must be like with price differentials! I swear we'd be 1000% more effective if we just smuggled in some OICWs, they'd be cheaper than what passes as a weapon for soldiers!

I suppose the East End isn't too bad for costs as their isn't much of tourist value (besides Banglatown, but I'm not a curry-holic) although Canary Wharf is a country by it's own right with how isolated it is!

Central London is the pits though. Everything is twice as expensive even by London standards.

8. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    Canary Wharf Isolated?
    Hardly
    Served by over 20 bus routes
    the Doclands Light Railway
    The Jubilee Line
    A thousand cabs a day
    And the A13 passes right by it
    Plus numerous cycle lanes and footpaths
    And lets not forget The Thames River and all the boat taxi services

9. chico8

chico8 New Member

Some of it is simple profiteering, some if is due to the fact that few of the products you mention are made in the US, some of it is due to VAT. In the US the sales tax is in addition to the price not included like VAT is. That's about 17%, isn't it?

A lot of it has to do with property inflation. You can thank all the oligarchs and England's tax benefits to foreign residents.

10. dong20

Gold Member

17.5% on most things. And sales tax is often overlooked when comparing prices. That said, none EU residents can to reclaim VAT on certain purchases. VAT registered businesses can reclaim most input VAT, which can help profitability.

Some of it, yes, in that high prices lead to high business rentals which in turn lead to high prices. As for those tax breaks, enjoy them while you can...

11. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I went shopping in London and stopped in Gap, just to see if the stores were different from the US stores. What I found funny was that items were priced the same--a shirt for 19.99, or whatever, but instead of being $19.99, it was £19.99. Talk about outrageous! In other stores selling British products, things seemed more in line--a littel higher than US prices, but not doubled by changing the currency character.

12. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

I am a social-observer. I wasn't referring to the geographical isolation, but the social and cultural isolation.

C-Wharf to the North is barricaded in by Poplar where the crime rate is...mad (although it has gone down reasonably these last years so no public shootouts), while to the south, the Isle of Dogs is not somewhere you want to go out at night (I should know, I've hung around there at midnight, I am not the only horny crazy dude lurking around!)

Meanwhile, the Wharf has more police and security than the rest of Tower Hamlets, is kept spotlessly clean with uber housing, lots of modern elite buildings and modern elite people. I feel under-dressed every time I go there! is £300 000 too little for a one bedroom flat? It is now!

13. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

You guys are the ones who invented the look that Ralph Lauren is trying to achieve, so you should be able to buy the real thing at ordinary U.K. prices (just with no polo ponies, artificially huge crests, etc.)

14. davec94

davec94 Member

everything appears to be more expensive in the UK. probably because the pound is so highly valued that retailers can get away with it.

15. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Thank god for Primark :)

16. selkent

selkent New Member

Thank god indeed, Princess.

Draft saved Draft deleted