Rites of Passage in Modern America

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ostrich egg, Nov 17, 2007.

1. ostrich egg

ostrich egg Member

What are some rites of passage in America today? it seems like most have been antiquated, or have become insignificant. Old rites may have included things such as getting your first kill on a solo hunt, having sex for the first time, or some other kind of major event, but anymore it seems like they have been abandoned and many people are looking for a point at which they can call themselves a man, rather than a boy or a guy. the only one i could come up with is losing your virginity, but that dosent really work because some guys became "Men" as early as 13 years old, when they clearly had not developed the maturity, nor the age to be considered such. So, do we guys have any rites of passage anymore or do we just take the title when were recognized as men by the law? (18/21)

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

A rite of passage was an indicator that you had reached manhood, it doesn't necessarily have to be a physical test. Having undertaken a rite of passage didn't necessarily mean you were an adult just that you were recognised as an adult but you were still just as likely to make stupid infantile mistakes as any kid would so I don't think rites of passage have much meaning. Killing a lion at 13 didn't make you any readier to face marriage and fatherhood.

3. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Well the ages of 18 and 21 are now just legal abstracts in isolation. There are rites of passage associated with each. Having your first drink legally in a public place when you are 21 would be one. Going to register to vote for the first time after turning 18 would be another. Getting your driver's license when you turn 16. A girl's "sweet 16" birthday party if she has one. Buying a ticket to an R-rated movie for the first time without your parent's permission when you turn 17. Going off to college if you are going away to school to live in a dorm when you are 18. The graduation/commencement ceremonies of high school or University when you are 18 or (most of the time) 22. Moving out of your parent's home or getting married if you don't do the above. Getting your first job post college graduation. Paying your first bill.

4. ostrich egg

ostrich egg Member

Oooh, those are all good ones!

5. earllogjam

Gold Member

6. Northland

Gold Member

7. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I don't think there really are any "formal" rights of passage anymore... it pretty much just depends on the person. For me personally, it was getting pregnant that made me a woman... that was what made me grow up and take responsibility and get a grip on my life.

8. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

There's nothing like having another person totally dependent on one for making one grow up.

Draft saved Draft deleted