River Deep, Mountain High

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Here at 8" above sea level in SoFla, we're experiencing floods like I have never seen. A bud tried to drop me off after work (at about 3:00 AM) only to find that the water was too high to stop near my building and he was forced to move on.

He eventually dropped me off about three blocks away, and I waded through, with the water occasionally reaching my upper thigh: wow!

About 15 minutes after I finally arrived, wet and shivering, a neighbor knocked at my door, warning that the waters were less than an inch away from our doors. I opened and asked him to help me move my carpet (stark naked, of course). He not only helped me move my Tibetan carpet but my sofa as well (which stood on it).

There's a full brook (several inches deep) where my walkway used to be, and the water's still rising, thunder and all. Yow!

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's just as well you're not sleeping unaware of it all! And nice that the neighbour is helping out. Hope you come through unscathed, flood water is mucky stuff, not just wet!

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We're pretty soaked in N. Fla too, but not nearly to that extent. Wow, keep safe!

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm glad you managed to rescue your carpet and sofa. And that you're safe of course! :tongue:

I hope you and your possessions come out the other side without too much damage.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Holy crap! Higher ground, please! Please stay safe! I will worry about you, so please take care.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well, I was able to stay awake until about 7:30. The brook running down my walkway was just too bizarre: awesome in the true sense of the word. Luckily, our doors are elevated about 5" above it and the water never penetrated, so there wasn't any damage done to the interior of my unit. I'm leaving everything in disarray until the sun comes back.

The bar I work at has a patio out back, and that will flood if it rains long and hard enough, but last night, the entire place had levels of water up to 4-5" deep in spots. The owners tried to just laugh it off, but the whole scene was just surreal. And like I wrote last night (early this morning, actually), getting home was an ordeal.

The particular area I live in is quite urban, which in SoFla means paved, making drainage an issue when it rains as long as it has (four days, and in torrents). Luckily, there's a large vacant lot across the street from my building which must have absorbed massive quantities of water (again, the short walk home brought me to places where the water came up to my thighs!): there aren't any canals or rivers within a half-mile of my street.

It's been raining intermittently all day, and we're expected to get a lot more again tonight. I had plans with a friend to go out and have some fun, but I honestly think I'll stay in tonight. I truly don't want a repeat of last night's slog home.

Thanks to everyone for the concern. I moved here for the weather which is usually great until it suddenly becomes slightly terrifying. Well, at least I'm not shoveling snow :rolleyes: