Road Trips. Advice please.

I second Banff. Banff is truly spectacular and the hotel is just phenomenal. It's like the Chateau Frontenac of the west. Just look at the pictures. It truly rivals anything Switzerland has to offer.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I second Banff. Banff is truly spectacular and the hotel is just phenomenal. It's like the Chateau Frontenac of the west. Just look at the pictures. It truly rivals anything Switzerland has to offer.

Yes, Banff National Park and The Banff Springs Hotel are incredibly beautiful. But if you go a little bit south down you can also stay in Waterton Lake National Park at the Prince of Wales Hotel! I've stayed at both and like the low-key vibes at the P of W. It's a bit less touristy and you can nip down across the line to the US into Glacier Nat. Park and drive the incredible "Going to the Sky" road. McDonald Lodge is wonderful.

Prince of Wales Hotel | Waterton-Glacier National Park | National Park Reservations

Midlife gave a nice travelogue. I'd add that on Cape Breton Island in the summer the Cabot Trail is alive with Celtic music in every town. Throughout Nova Scotia and New Brunswick there are festivals and Céilidhs all summer. Our tour there 10 years ago was perhaps the best family holiday we ever took.

Attachments

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Yes, Banff National Park and The Banff Springs Hotel are incredibly beautiful. But if you go a little bit south down you can also stay in Waterton Lake National Park at the Prince of Wales Hotel! I've stayed at both and like the low-key vibes at the P of W. It's a bit less touristy and you can nip down across the line to the US into Glacier Nat. Park and drive the incredible "Going to the Sky" road.

Good advice, vince ... but it's the "Going to the Sun Road." Well, well worth while.

I'd add that on Cape Breton Island in the summer the Cabot Trail is alive with Celtic music in every town. Throughout Nova Scotia and New Brunswick there are festivals and Céilidhs all summer. Our tour there 10 years ago was perhaps the best family holiday we ever took.

The Cabot Trail is another wonderful idea.
Of course, if Drifter doesn't mind taking a flight or two, he could go up, say, to Whitehorse, up in the Yukon, especially if he's doing his trip in mid-June or so, and experience 24-hours-a-day sunlight.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Good advice, vince ... but it's the "Going to the Sun Road." Well, well worth while.
Yes of course... Going to the Sun. And they have these giagantic open top touring cars from the 1930's. They must take 20 people.

The Cabot Trail is another wonderful idea.
Of course, if Drifter doesn't mind taking a flight or two, he could go up, say, to Whitehorse, up in the Yukon, especially if he's doing his trip in mid-June or so, and experience 24-hours-a-day sunlight.
Indeed. He needs to get Hyderized as well. (Don't worry D, it just involves at little bit of Everclear and you won't feel a thing)

Last edited: