Robbed at gunpoint!

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
The short version: I was in Hollywood, and robbed at gunpoint last night (Saturday).

The details:
Because I'm still in mourning, I've been having a rough time, and realized yesterday (Saturday) that it was already late afternoon, I hadn't been outside yet, and I hadn't eaten a thing all day. I called a buddy, told him I needed to get out, and made plans for dinner, I'd told him I'd even go over to his side of town (Hollywood). I picked him up, we had a great dinner, after, parked the car at his place, then walked down the street to grab some coffee. On the way back home, about 10:30 p.m., we were walking along, a guy popped up out of nowhere, stepped somewhat behind and between us, focused in more my direction, I think because I was in dress-shoes and dress-pants, and an ok shirt, whereas my buddy was very casual. I thought he was kidding, and just trying to get past us on the narrow sidewalk, when he said, "OK, you fellas are gonna gimme your wallets now." I turned, and was about to make some comment, like "very funny, go ahead, we'll let ya through" and let him pass when I saw the pistol. I froze, but my buddy, not seeing the gun must've thought the guy just intended on using brute force, having had that happen to him in the past, when living in New York, said instead, "No way. Fuck you," and stepped away, out of the guy's reach. The guy was a bit flustered by my buddy not complying, refocused on me, and again started demanding my wallet. I said, "OK, OK, OK, here. Take it." Then I kinda stepped back, he kinda stepped back, then I'm fuzzy for a few seconds, but then my buddy was next to me and said "C'mon", and we started running. It was all pretty quick. We THINK he may have run down the street to a car that looked like it was waiting with an open passenger door, but we're not sure.

People, well, guys, will say, "Oh, I would've...", or "Man, you should've...", and that's all fine TALK, when you're hanging out with other guys, but the REALITY is... When someone is standing in front of you, holding a gun like they obviously know how to use it, it's 6-8" away from you, and aimed at your chest, what you REALLY say is, "...here. Take it", and pray that the desperate guy isn't crazy enough to pull the trigger.

He did get my ID, so he knows who I am, and where I live. I was able to cancel 2 of the 3 credit cards I had with me. The "open" one, he used in the middle of the night to buy gas, THREE times in succession (???). I had a couple gift cards, and a $50 check made out to "Cash", but as far as REAL money goes... Anyone close to me, knows that I never carry much, if ANY, cash. He must've been completely furious when all that he found were the $4, yes, FOUR dollars, that I had with me. The most impressive thing that he really got out of the whole deal was my Coach wallet.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm so sorry to hear about this but at least you're ok and in one piece. You're right though, people can say whatever they want about what they'd do, but they'll never know until they're surprised by someone with a gun. My niece was robbed at gunpoint in DC earlier this year. She had just started her second week of her internship! She was forced to lay flat on the ground while he rifled through her jeans for her wallet, which earned him only 10 dollars, a drivers' license and a bus pass. Certainly wasn't worth his time and effort.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
I am so sorry bro. I had someone try and mug me years ago. He tried to choke me with the shoulder strap of the seat belt. I was on vacation. All they got was a postcard of the jet I flew in on. I hope you called the police.
It took me a while to get my nerve back. I was very skittish for a long time about peeps being around me. I still won't go after dark to areas where it could happen. I am so sorry.

NCPharmD2B

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thank God you are OK! HUGS. I would have given the guy whatever he wanted...I never carry cash in my Coach wallet either...no respect for property orr life these days...what an asshole...

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's the last thing you needed right now Novice and it completely sucks. I'm glad that you weren't hurt physically.

Big hugs to you mate.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Novice, I'm so sorry to hear that! What a scary story. I'm glad you're OK too. Sick predators.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
This society is so violent! I can't even talk right now. Know that your guardian angel was there.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you are being comforted by those who love you. Here's a big hug from me to you.:hug:

This country needs to address violence as its core problem. People are too busy worrying about making money, staying beautiful, buying houses and cars and competing with others. America the Violent will not go away until America takes back its streets. Our military should be patrolling the streets of our major cities, not walking in the oil fields of Iraq.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're right when someone pulls a gun on you and says give me your money you better give that shit up, even if you think the guy isn't actually going to use it it's not worth the risk. The same thing happened to me before but I didn't have anything on me. Luckily the guy let me go after checking. One of my cousins was in D.C. and was robbed at a gas station. After giving them the money they shot him with a sawed off shotgun at point blank in the stomach. Somehow he survived it. This was just a few years back. The robbers almost took someones life for 30 bucks. Also, someone tried to rob my brothers girlfriend back when I used to live in Baltimore. The crazy thing is he did it in the middle of the day with people all around. She told him she didn't have anything and he ended up letting her go.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I feel for you novice, having been held up by a group of men with knives before, I know it's an experience that robs you of confidence in your own safety.

Hope it doesn't shake your faith in mankind too much.

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My dear novice, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I, too, was held up at gun point here in NYC and the details of that incident are unimportant now. What is important is that you are okay. The loss of the wallet and other things you will get over. Over the next few weeks you will have flash backs and you will be skittish. That is what happened to me. The whole scene will play out in your mind and you will second guess yourself and indeed it will almost become surreal. I only say these things, so that you will know what to expect and it is to be expected. Do not blame yourself, you did nothing wrong...trust me that will come up as well.
I so want you to feel safe again and that will come in time. There are crime victim counselors out there who are there for you, if you feel the need.
I wish I was there to hold you in my arms and give your a long, tight hug. I wish I was there for you, to help you through this. But always know that even though 3000 miles separate us, I care for you and will always wish you well. Take care. Frat.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Novice--

There are resources available to you. You should check your local law enforcement agency for them. There are survivors of violent crimes groups. I went to a survivors group via reference from the local law enforcement when I had gotten gay bashed outside of a gay bar. It took me a month to start going clubbing again. I got my confidence back thanks to that group.

You aren't alone in this.

Invisi.

ceg1526

Experimental Member
Media
Novice-

I'm glad you and your friend are OK; robbery is a violent crime. If you haven't done so already, go to Hollywood Station (1358 Wilcox), go in, and talk to the desk sergeant (or whoever is at the front) and make a report. I hope you remember what the bad guy looked like, so someone else doesn't go through what you went through.

Take care

Ceg

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I just wanted to drop a line to thank you all for the well wishes. I never really expected much, if any response. I just somewhat wanted to get it off of my chest. (Eesh, considering, that was a bad analogy.) Anyway, I really DO appreciate all of the comments here, and the flood of PMs that I've gotten. It's really incredible to see such an outpouring.

As for counselling, well, I was actually already signed up for grief counselling this coming, and that's why I hadn't been out of the house (I'm NOT dealing well with the death of someone extremely close to me), and then THIS happened. It's been a rough few weeks around here.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Novice-

I'm glad you and your friend are OK; robbery is a violent crime. If you haven't done so already, go to Hollywood Station (1358 Wilcox), go in, and talk to the desk sergeant (or whoever is at the front) and make a report. I hope you remember what the bad guy looked like, so someone else doesn't go through what you went through.

Take care

Ceg
I just immediately called 911, a squad car came, took the report, and were quick and kind. That's the bad part, he was in all black, had on a black hoodie, and it was under the 101/Ivar underpass, and the lights were all out (and apparently HAVE been, for about a month). I have a freakishly great memory for faces, but didn't get more than a peek at him, and in my terror, I kept my eyes on the gun, and never looked up, or made eye contact. The good news, if the police are willing to follow up on it, is that he used my card at a gas station to fill up, and if they have surveillance, there MIGHT be a pic of him.

amiegrrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Your life is certainly not worth anything you might have in your wallet!! Big *huggles* and very happy you made it through uninjured!

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just immediately called 911, a squad car came, took the report, and were quick and kind. That's the bad part, he was in all black, had on a black hoodie, and it was under the 101/Ivar underpass, and the lights were all out (and apparently HAVE been, for about a month). I have a freakishly great memory for faces, but didn't get more than a peek at him, and in my terror, I kept my eyes on the gun, and never looked up, or made eye contact. The good news, if the police are willing to follow up on it, is that he used my card at a gas station to fill up, and if they have surveillance, there MIGHT be a pic of him.

I hope they get the sorry sack of mud. Sure glad your okay.