Robbed at gunpoint!

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I am so sorry that happened to you. A friend of mine got robbed three times in LA in 2 years. I am glad you did the right thing and are seeking good avenues of emotional help. Hugs.
Didn't happen to be in Hollywood, did it? Again, thanks for the words of kindness.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I say we get together, get some coffee, then hunt him down.
and give him a 'curby'!
were tough guys!!!
well.. not really :)
D
I'm up for the coffee, but you'll have to buy until I get a wallet, and an ATM card, or new Visa. :tongue:

Um, regarding the "tough guy" part, you did read above, and notice my lightning-speed "here, take it", didn't you? :wink:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey honey, so sorry to hear that this happened to you. You are lucky to be in one piece, and as for the rest, you can take all the time you want to get back to your old self, or whatever version of your new self you deem necessary. Oddly enough, I was robbed at gunpoint myself in my own apartment almost exactly a year ago. I spoke of it to only a few people, so I applaud you for being able to come right out with it to the forum.

I haven't done such a great job of getting back on track, so I really don't have any great advice to offer, but I do have two broad shoulders and a big heart that sends you a genuine hug- you know I luv ya! While I wouldn't wish such a thing on anyone, it is particularly baffling that it seems to happen to the gentlest and most decent people- I would never wish such a thing on you. The one thing I took comfort from when my own robbery was going on was that I'd rather it be happening to me than someone who was less prepared to deal with obnoxious behavior in others. I've seen a lot of obnoxiousness, and I figured if I was lucky enough not to get shot, I knew I'd get over it eventually. It's surprised me that it's taken this long, guess my preparations didn't help as much as I'd imagined.

Don't lose who you are, and if you have people irl to spend time with- do it. It's a different kind of thing to realise that safety is basically an illusion. We can minimise the likelihood of such an attack by taking realistic precautions to protect ourselves, but after that we really have to just live our lives. There's no such thing as absolute security- I really won't stop answering my front door! I hope you find ways to make yourself as comfortable as possible, honey.

Jana

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Novice,

I empathize with you. I have been mugged in broad daylight and it shook me up for about a month. The mugger threw a punch in my face and I naturally punched back. He then drew a switchblade when some people came around the corner he fled. I realized that I could have been stabbed.

Getting mugged robs you of your sense of safety. I think I was on guard and paranoid for a long time but it eventually wears away. I'm just more aware of my surroundings now, always. It's something you will never forget. But the ensuing fear is something that isn't worth being a prisoner to. Take good care of yourself and be well Novice.

elj

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Jana,
Thanks so much. Yeah, I'm just generally messed up a bit right now. As I mentioned, the whole irony of this is that I had actually made myself go out to be with friends, because I"m not handling a devastating grief very well. So, there I am, thinking I'm out and about, taking care of myself, making myself live, and out of a hidden shadow, a lazy coward steps out, and puts a large caliber pistol 6" from my heart, and puts himself in a stance to brace for the recoil. In reality, the only thing I lost was temporarly access and any form of money. Nonetheless, I still keep having phantom pains in my chest, and having a sensation of my body spinning from the impact.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm so sorry love, my participation around here has been spotty at best lately so I was unaware of your loss. That's a lot to be dealing with all at once.

Guns look enormous when they're pointed at you, don't they? That was what I remembered the most when the cop was asking me about my robbers- all I could remember was the gun. I spent about twenty minutes face down in a pile of my own laundry with some fat fuck laying on top of me with a gun in the back of my head, telling me the whole time I was going to die tonight. He kept asking where I was hiding my money and drugs while his partners trashed my place looking, but all they got was $28, some expired credit cards and a prepaid cell phone with about 20 minutes left on it. The only thing that hurt was that they took every single piece of identification I had, including old tax returns and titles to cars, my passport, and driver's license, ss card and birth certificate. God what a mess to replace all that crap! But I can't feel safe anywhere anymore- not even at home. Where do you go to hide when you can't be safe at home? It's been a fucking nightmare.

I don't jump at shadows anymore, so that's progress. The worst part is that there are just a lot of days I can't leave the house, so it's killing me financially. I'm getting ready to move (yet again) to see if a geographical cure will help, but I also was in the process of dealing with another issue when it happened, so neither thing has gotten the attention needed. Hey, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? I know we'll both emerge from this with more tools in our toolbelts, but what a horrible thing to have to learn from. I wish these fuckwits would be able to see others as human beings and not just potential money-making opportunities. One thing I took away from this was to see others more as I want to be seen. I guess that's a good thing.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Thanks, Sweetie. Yeah, I made allusions, but never really went too deeply into the grief. I still can't address it too much without a breakdown. Someone at work told me yesterday that the reason I wasn't shot was because the person I lost, stepped in as a guardian angel. So, right there, in the middle of work, I quickly stepped away, sobbing. I'm usually totally fine, when around others. It's when I'm alone that I have trouble, although, ironically, all I want to do is nest at home. Now, there's a new facet added. I don't trust being around people either. Tonight, I was standing, waiting for some food I'd ordered. I hadn't noticed that there was a map on the wall that I was leaning on, right behind me. Some scruffy guy made a B-line for it, and just kept hanging out behind me. He was totally harmless, but I was totally freaked out, and moved entirely across the room.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Novice,

I empathize with you. I have been mugged in broad daylight and it shook me up for about a month. The mugger threw a punch in my face and I naturally punched back. He then drew a switchblade when some people came around the corner he fled. I realized that I could have been stabbed.

Getting mugged robs you of your sense of safety. I think I was on guard and paranoid for a long time but it eventually wears away. I'm just more aware of my surroundings now, always. It's something you will never forget. But the ensuing fear is something that isn't worth being a prisoner to. Take good care of yourself and be well Novice.

elj
Yeah, that's another part of the problem for me. I'm always VERY aware of my surroundings. I always have been. But this guy was totally hidden. There was no way to prepare, nothing I couldn've forseen. It was just random.

roosevelt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't read anything but your first post man. Sorry, it sucks being robbed. I've been robbed on 5 continents, and it never becomes more enjoyable or reduces the feeling of violation.

I've beaten robbers back before, but Even I'm not stupid enough to resist someone with a gun!

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
...I've been robbed on 5 continents...
5 CONTINENTS??? :eek:
*Mental note: Don't travel with Roosie!* (kidding)

But seriously, I can't even imagine. Just the once, has messed me up plenty. Yeah, when I saw the gun, my mind basically switched into total compliance mode.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I say we get together, get some coffee, then hunt him down.
and give him a 'curby'!
were tough guys!!!
well.. not really :)
D

What is a curby?

P.S. If you're thinking tonight, you can forget it. I'm currently not going out after dark. :31:
I don't blame you!

I have no idea what I would have done in the same situation. Yes I do, most likely I would have cried and possibly fainted. At least your brain was still functioning properly. Take as much time as you need to heal babe.

RE: A previous post, you lost something very important; you lost your sense of freedom.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Gosh, how terrifying. I'm real sorry this happened to you. For sure one of my worst fears. You handled it well, so that should offer some solace. Also very sorry for your loss. Things will begin to look up soon hun, they always do.

((hugs)) CG

Quite Irate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Wow....based on the response of this thread, I definitely need to post some of my less pleasant experiences with crooks and the criminal element. :tongue:

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am so sorry that happened to you. A friend of mine got robbed three times in LA in 2 years. I am glad you did the right thing and are seeking good avenues of emotional help. Hugs.

Didn't happen to be in Hollywood, did it? Again, thanks for the words of kindness.

Actually, I didn't find out where exactly, and he has since passed away of heart complications, but I believe the incidents occured in the late 80's. He was living in Tennessee when he told me, and we have since spent many an evening "on the town" in Knoxville, Atlanta, New York City, Portland, Seattle, Nashville, and New Orleans. It seems he did overcome many of his fears, and I am confident you will, also. He was a kind and generous (like you) Japanese gentleman who stood at 5'2".

(sends another big hug)