Robert Goulet R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Celebrity Endowments' started by B_Lightkeeper, Oct 30, 2007.

1. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I just saw where he died. He had a great voice and use to be rather attractive. I have no idea what he packed. Think he was married at one time to fellow singer Carol Lawrence.

2. Osiris

Gold Member

You are correct about Carol Lawrence (1963 to 1981).

He had a powerful voice.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

A soothing voice and a sense of humor.

RIP

4. Principessa

Gold Member

He was one of the greats and shall truly be missed.

'Camelot' star Robert Goulet dies at 73

By Duane Byrge

Oct 31, 2007
    Robert Goulet, a singer and actor best known for his towering, romantic portrayal of Sir Lancelot in "Camelot" both onstage and in the movies, died Tuesday. He was 73.

Goulet died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles while awaiting a lung transplant after being diagnosed with a rare form of pulmonary fibrosis in September. In 1993, he had a cancerous prostate removed.

Goulet's heartthrob looks and rich baritone not only graced Broadway and films, but he also had a successful recording career. He recorded such singles as "One Life," "What Kind of Fool Am I?" and "Don't Be Afraid of Romance."

Goulet received a Tony Award as best actor (musical) for his performance in "Happy Time" in 1968.

Goulet made his U.S. TV debut in 1961 on "The Ed Sullivan Show." During the '60s he was a popular guest star on the top variety shows and specials of the era: "Judy and Her Guests, Phil Silvers and Robert Goulet," "The Jack Benny Program," "The Joey Bishop Show," "The Mike Douglas Show," "The Dean Martin Show," "The Andy Williams Show" among them.

In the late '60s, he starred in such big musicals as "Brigadoon," "Carousel" and "Kiss Me Kate." All three of the musicals appeared on ABC, with "Brigadoon" receiving five Emmys, including best special of the 1966-67 season.

He also guest starred on almost every major variety TV show, including "The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour," "Follies" and "The Flip Wilson Show."

More recently, Goulet performed on the TV program "My Favorite Broadway: The Love Songs."

He performed at the White House for three presidents and delivered a command performance for Queen Elizabeth II.

A good sport, he appeared in "Police Squad!" as himself and alter co-starred in "Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear" (1991). Indicative of his sense of humor, Goulet appeared in "Weird" Al Yankovic's video for "You Don't Love Me Anymore." Also on the comedic side, Goulet appeared in the movies "Beetle Juice" and "Scrooged."

He entertained on a wide array of formats and venues, including "Omnibus," "The Enchanted Nutcracker," "The Broadway of Lerner & Lowe, "The Garry Moore Show," "Bell Telephone Hour" and "The Judy Garland Show."

He performed at supper clubs: His four-week engagement at the Persian Room was one of the most successful in the history of the Plaza Hotel.

Robert Gerard Goulet was born Nov. 26, 1933, in Lawrence, Mass. After his father's death when he was 11, his mother moved to Edmonton, Alberta, where he developed an interest in performance. He did a stint as a DJ on CKUA and sang in local shows. When he was awarded a singing scholarship to the Royal Conservatory of Music, Goulet moved to Toronto.

While training, he won small parts on TV and made his stage debut in 1951 as Edmonton in Handel's "Messiah." He subsequently landed the male lead in a CBC production of "Little Women." He also starred on the Canadian stage in the satire "Spring Thaw."

Goulet's star brightened with TV: He appeared on Canada's top TV variety program, "Showtime," where he co-starred for three years.

With increased TV exposure in Canada, Goulet moved to weightier stage productions, including: "Thunder Rock," "Visit to a Small Planet" and "The Bells Are Ringing." During this period, he auditioned for Lerner and Loewe for Sir Lancelot in New York, impressing the duo when they had given up on finding a suitable performer. Playing opposite Richard Burton and Julie Andrews, Goulet became a stage star.

In 1962, he voiced the animated feature film "Gay-Purr-ee" along with Judy Garland.

Characteristically, Goulet's self-deprecating and good-natured sense of humor landed him on the top comedy shows as well: "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," "The Flip Wilson Show." More recently, he voiced himself on "The Simpsons."

He brought his jocular style to such game shows as "What's My Line?" and "Password."

He also teamed with his wife, Carol Lawrence, for an engagement at the Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas. The couple also starred in "Monsanto Night Presents Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence," a syndicated TV special.

He married Louise Longmore in 1956. The couple had one daughter, Nikki, before divorcing in 1963. That year, Goulet married Carol Lawrence. The couple had two sons, Christopher and Michael, before divorcing in 1981. Goulet married Vera Novak in 1982.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

5. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I liked his voice too. Sorry to hear he's gone.

6. xxxBoyBennyxxx

xxxBoyBennyxxx New Member

:frown1:

R.I.P.

B-list star with an A-list attitude. The world just lost a real class act. I guess it was just his time to get up to that great big lounge in the sky.

7. camper joe

Gold Member

There once was a Camelot. RIP

8. horneyoldguy

horneyoldguy New Member

Albums:
    I'm old enough to remember Goulet in Camelot. It is unfortunate that he was seduced by Hollywood and Vegas. His career would have been better off had he been liked Jerry Orbach and stayed with Broadway, where his skills would have been more appreciated and then move to television, when his voice became tired.

9. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sorry to hear he passed his voice was so rich.
    One thing though wasn't it someone else in the movie version of Camelot...I think Franco Nero.

10. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

That's right, Fratpack.

I knew people who worked with Goulet at CBC in Toronto in the early 1960s, I believe.
    He was apparently a very nice man, not egotistical at all ... quite loveable.

11. agnslz

Gold Member

I mainly knew of him from the movie Beetlejuice, but I thought he was a nice enough man. It's quite sad that he passed away while awaiting a transplant.

12. Fireballs

Fireballs New Member

13. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I've been listening to a lot of his stuff on YouTube.
    It seems to me he must have had something close to perfect pitch ... not that, as a popular singer, he tried to always sing right on pitch, but I think he always knew where the exact note was.
    He seems to have come along at just the wrong time. Elvis was already King. The Beatles were landing. And here comes this guy, good looking, suave in an old-fashioned way ... who can do certain things to a real 'T,' but the market's pretty much shifted on him.
    He was a bit of dinosaur right from the start.
    But that was a real voice ... better than I remembered.
    And I like the way he could spoof his overdrawn persona.
    I get the sense he was a pretty smart guy, and a nice guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted