Rockabilly RULES and YOU KNOW IT!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Can I get a hands up from people for my favorite music?! Any other fans out there?
Wanda Jackson
Billy Lee Cyrus
Brian Setzer
So many great singers....I could start a mile long list. Are you a fellow fan? Lets chat a1nd keep the rab love going. Hope to see some of ya lovers at VLV next year

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thx Jas. Check out some rockabilly...western swing, hillbilly jive and you'll never listen to mainstream music again.
Can get an AMEN for Deke Dickerson
Hanks Williams the 3rd
Candye Cane
The Blue Moon Boys
and sooooooooooooo many more.....

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ahh psychobilly....I dunno I've never been to a PB show where you can understand anything anyone is singing.
Just saw once again the Roy Orbison PBS special again. Great guy, great singer.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I went to ye olde guitar store the other day, and on a whim deviated from my normal Paul Reed Smith fetish to try out some Gretsches. HOLY SHIT. They rock. I tried a Setzer model, a Chet Atkins Country Gentlemen, and some assorted white falcons and 6120s. They won't handle heavy distortion the way I require, but man! That clean tone was so crisp and bright while retaining hollowbody fullness.

Love Setzer, btw. And his thick, plucky, overdriven Gretsch tone!

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SoCal has a fantastic harder genre of Rockabilly..... some mixed in like Social Distortion, but other great bands like Deadbolt (The Scariest Band in the World).... love the lineup, with two dudes on bass:

HARLEY DAVIDSON: Voodoo Guitar, Vocals
R.A. MACLEAN: Bass, Vocals
3RD DEGREE BURNS: Bass, Vocals
BADTIME CHARLIE: Drums
PATCHES: Unknown

the Hootenanny festival in OC, Royal Crown Revue, X (they dipped a bit), Road Kill Kings, and a slew I know I'm missing.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
SoCal has a fantastic harder genre of Rockabilly..... some mixed in like Social Distortion, but other great bands like Deadbolt (The Scariest Band in the World).... love the lineup, with two dudes on bass:

HARLEY DAVIDSON: Voodoo Guitar, Vocals
R.A. MACLEAN: Bass, Vocals
3RD DEGREE BURNS: Bass, Vocals
BADTIME CHARLIE: Drums
PATCHES: Unknown

the Hootenanny festival in OC, Royal Crown Revue, X (they dipped a bit), Road Kill Kings, and a slew I know I'm missing.

2 on bass? Sweet. I'll have to check out those other bands. I saw ROyal Crown while I was at VLV this year.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How about some rockabilly blended w/that delicious and potent variant known as western swing? How about the now defunct Cave Catt Sammy orthe Two Timin' Three. Love the Chops Tops also.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ya know it's weird...the last few weeks I've been hearing alot of Setzer music on commercials and they've been using lot of rockabilly on NYC radio show wrap-arounds lately. INteresting. :biggrin1: