Roger Federer won Wimbledon!

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Finally, after an exiting game of more then 4 hours, the Suisse Roger Federer beated the American Andy Roddick on Wimbledon!
Federer is now official the leader on Wimbledon, he overwon Pete Sampras with it!
Gongrats Federer!

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I haven't watched any Wimbly this year. Weathers too nice to be spending hours watching people whack balls. And nobody in tennis interests me in the slightest.

The men should play in jockstraps. Then I might watch.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As soon as yourself and Pieter get into those Jockstraps...
Send us/ME..a few pics please X
CHEERS to you both..and catch you around in the next few weeks

Had my $ on the US Boy without a doubt..ha--2-30am NZ was worth the getting up to watch it.
G

B_MUSCLE14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was there it was the best wimbeldon match ive seen in yrs andy placed like he never played before but roger was just a little beeter ill be next next yrs to see it again

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Finally, after an exiting game of more then 4 hours, the Suisse Roger Federer beated the American Andy Roddick on Wimbledon!
Federer is now official the leader on Wimbledon, he overwon Pete Sampras with it!
Gongrats Federer!

As good as Federer is I still wanted to see Roddick win, not only because I typically favor underdogs but because of his fantastic last name! :biggrin1: Anyone else notice that as soon as the shadow appeared, Andy seemed to start loosing it.

In agreement with Xcuse, I am glad I only watched the last 1 hour and watching Andy changed shirts made it all worth it! :biggrin1:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Best match in years? Damn you guys are prisoners of the moment. I actually thought that match wasn't anywhere near as good as last year's final between Fed and Nadal. There was no substance to this match. It was just a serve war from the very beginning. Federer played well below his usual skill level. The points rarely lasted any longer than a few shots. And for the first time ever Roddick actually kept his composure.

It was the longest match ever played in games, yet it was about an hour shorter than last years final. That is an entire hour of extra rallies. The tension in tennis disappears with short quick points. Last year some of those rallies between Fed and Nadal were INSANE. There was none of that this year. No amazing shots, no amazing rallies, no amazing recoveries for points, etc etc. Just a bunch of serves and errors. No great moments.

Can't wait until Nadal comes back.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It was the longest match ever played in games, yet it was about an hour shorter than last years final. That is an entire hour of extra rallies. The tension in tennis disappears with short quick points. Last year some of those rallies between Fed and Nadal were INSANE. There was none of that this year. No amazing shots, no amazing rallies, no amazing recoveries for points, etc etc. Just a bunch of serves and errors. No great moments.

Half an hour shorter actually, but I agree 2008 was a 'better' match.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not so certain Federer has played the same level of competition Pete Sampras did ? Nadal owns Federer. It's almost like Tiger Woods vs the field with Federer. Just me, but back in the 90's there seemed to be more recognizable names.

Just this one, Federer beat:

Garcia-Lopez, Kohlschrieber, Soderling, Karlovic, Haas & Roddick.

Maybe time proves otherwise, but Sampras in my opinion played better competition ? Haas & Roddick couldn't beat Sampras at the end of his career. Federer though has beaten Sampras, but that when he was about to retire or already had retired anyway ?

Last edited:

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Best match in years? Damn you guys are prisoners of the moment. I actually thought that match wasn't anywhere near as good as last year's final between Fed and Nadal. There was no substance to this match. It was just a serve war from the very beginning. Federer played well below his usual skill level. The points rarely lasted any longer than a few shots. And for the first time ever Roddick actually kept his composure.

Definitely. They made the ball bigger (by 6%) to slow down the game, but it's still sometimes a bashfest. I remember the '94 final (Sampras vs. Ivanisavich) and the longest ralley was four strokes. Points ended, literally, in the blink of an eye. It gets very boring very quickly. the 2008 final had much longer rallies and much more strategy.

Can't wait until Nadal comes back.

The 95-minute final set was amazing. This match could not have been any closer. I give Roddick props for that. Even if he's just a good server (his groundies and volleys are horrible), a big serve is really all you need on grass.

Federer is now the undesputed king of tennis. He has 15 majors under his belt now, which is pretty much the last record that was left to be broken. I'm excited knowing that he's only 27 and will probably win even more slams, maybe even the elusive Grand Slam.

Skully, You know how I feel about Nadal. He's boring and predictable and wins his matches by brute force.

I'm not so certain Federer has played the same level of competition Pete Sampras did ? Nadal owns Federer. It's almost like Tiger Woods vs the field with Federer. Just me, but back in the 90's there seemed to be more recognizable names.

Just this one, Federer beat:

Garcia-Lopez, Kohlschrieber, Soderling, Karlovic, Haas & Roddick.

Maybe time proves otherwise, but Sampras in my opinion played better competition ? Haas & Roddick couldn't beat Sampras at the end of his career. Federer though has beaten Sampras, but that when he was about to retire or already had retired anyway ?

Haas, Roddick and Sampras are all best on hardcourts. After Pete's neck injury, which forced his retirement, these guys were beating him on all surfaces. He didn't retire at the top like, say, Borg did.

As for Federer's draw, that's why he was seeded. Seeding protects the top players and prevents them from having to play tough opponents until they get to the final. Roddick was only seeded 6th, but he was also protected.

Last edited:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree seeding protects the higher ranked, that happens in all sports, some even get a bye. But to say who Federer played the past 2 weeks compares with Agassi, Edberg, Conners, McEnroe, Chang, Courier, Kafelnikov, Becker, Lendl, Stich, Muster and others.

I'm not saying Federer isn't in that class and couldn't beat those guys, but the difference is that I don't think you take the last decade's worth of men's tennis players, make them play the 80's and 90's best players head to head. I think the bunch I named beats the likes of Haas and Roddick and a host of others. Nadal is 13-7 against Federer (9-2 on clay, 4-5 on grass & hard courts). I think you put Nadal in that group of 90's players and you have a hell of a group to have any of the opens with. Many of the players I named had career resurgences, but each had periods where they each won solidly against the others. But Federer is being hailed as the greatest, Sampras might be going along with it in the post Wimbledon press, but I think who Sampras had to go thru, open to open was more difficult. Those 90's players wound up playing each other at the end of every tournament at a very high level of play. Wimbledon 2009 had some really good tennis too. Just my opinion and this post has a lot of that reasoning. Maybe you agree or not ? I respect your opinion either way.

Pete Sampras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you'll find this interesting,

"On November 20, 2007, Sampras lost the first of three exhibition matches in Asia against Roger Federer losing 6–4, 6–3 in Seoul, Korea.[33] Two days later in Kuala Lumpur, Sampras again lost to Federer, 7–6(6), 7–6(5). However, Sampras was able to win the last match of the series, winning 7–6(6), 6–4, even though he stated his goal was to just win a set.[34]
On February 18, 2008, in an exhibition match during the SAP Open, Sampras defeated another active player, former World No. 2 Tommy Haas. Sampras dispatched the German, 6–4, 6–2 in 43 minutes.[35]
On March 10, 2008, Sampras played another exhibition match against World No. 1 Roger Federer at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Sampras once again lost the match 6–3, 6–7(4), 7–6(6).[36]

Federer's only active win was 2001 Wimbeldon and that was considered an upset at the time and it was even a very close match:

At the 2001 Wimbledon Championships, Sampras lost to Roger Federer, who was 19 at the time, 7–6(7), 5–7, 6–4, 6–7(2), 7–5 in the fourth round, ending Sampras's 31-match winning streak at Wimbledon. The match also marked the first and only time that the two men ever played each other on the ATP tour."

I find it hard to classify Federer as the best ever, Nadal has won 13 of 20 matches against him. Tiger Woods loses on occasion, but it's a random player that beats him, no pattern that on a consistent basis that player is better. Conversely Federer has a nemesis and arch rival in Nadal. I put Federer in the group of best ever, but each player at their peak, I'd like to see Federer beat them all, because if Nadal beats him as he has, where's that logic & argument, because I certainly put Nadal in the category of one of the best ever with 6 open titles as respectable & worthy of consideration ?

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am so happy Roger won...Roddick was really scaring me for a while there...the only reason it went on so long, is Federer had incredible trouble reading Roddick's serve, something he has never had trouble doing.

he was dumping returns into the net in a way i have not seen before. Even Roddick said it after the match, how surprised he was, since Federer always returns Roddick's serve better than anyone, because he gets a read on it somehow.

Federer is a true artist. A great sportsman, a fantastic player, and proof, that sometimes, nice guys do in fact finish first.

Federer brought me back to tennis, when i had abandoned it by the late 90s he brought me back to the game with his artistry.

I loved Sampras, but he was rather a boring player...ruthless and efficient and great to watch at times...

My favorite of all time, was Bjorn Borg...i grew up with Borg (i was born in 71) i never thought anyone could replace him as the tennis player i most loved, but Federer did it.

I have tremendous respect for NAdal, for his grit, determination and strength. His game is somewhat violent and ugly to watch, but there is no way not to marvel at his talent, power and defensive prowess. It is beautiful in its ugliness i guess you can say, and if Federer was not my favorite player, i could see cheering for NAdal, since you must respect a player like that.

Unfortunately for Nadal, his career at the top may turn out to be short, due to the impact his violent all action style has on his already battered knees.

Being a defensive baseliner and counter puncher, Nadal's game is predicated on endless retrieval and defending, wearing the opponent down, grinding them in to the court...

it is this style that also, sadly will destroy him. Do not forgot, Rafa's ungle was a tremendous soccer player for Barcelona, and the similarites are striking...his uncle was known as "The BEast"...and he was an incredible defender, aggressive, uncompromising and relentless, which is where Rafa seems to get it from and seems to emulate...

the problem, for Rafa, is that he was also once a great soccer player...when his uncle and coach, Toni, encouraged him to play tennis instead of soccer, when he was about 12-13 or so, he left what he loved most, which was soccer. The reasoning, was that he could become a better tennis player then he ever could a soccer player, and his uncle was right...

the problem, is how much wear and tear, soccer, and running take on an athlete's body...Soccer players and tennis players have notoriously shorter careers...usually becoming pros around 18 or so, and declining as a force rather early, aaround the late 20s. (obviously there are exceptions, but the sheer amount of miles the legs rack up, eventually shows, and much earlier)

when you look at how much running rafa did in soccer *AND* tennis throughout his youth, and now, the fact that he still plays soccer to stay in shape recreationally, not to mention he is an avid jogger/runner for fitness so he can move the way he does on the court, and then add in the pounding, and running he has doneover the years at the pro-level, and I just get the feeling, that with tendinitis in not one, but *BOTH* knees, he simply cannot last.

tendinitis is brutal, and in the knees, it is devastating, both in terms of the pain, and the affect.

The only way that one can recover is long periods of rest...something that top level tennis is not conducive to.

Playing at this level will cause this again and soon...the only way to stop it, is by playing a less rambunctious, grinding style...which Nadal cannot do...if he were to change, it would destroy what makes him great in the first place!

He has great ground strokes, but his serve is the weakest part of his game...if Rafa cannot grind and run all day, then he will never be the Rafa that became #1.

Same way if Federer changed himself into a defensive baseliner, he would not be Federer, etc.

Either way, injuries are part of the game...Federer has deservedly reclaimed #1. Nadal could not keep up the pace at #1 before succumbing to injury...Federer was #1 for several years...through ups and downs, but, due to his style of play, he was never seriously injured...

in fact, as great as Nadal was last year, he still would not have taken the #1 ranking (IMO) had Federer not contracted Mono right during the Australian Open.

Mono is devastating...I had it when i was 15, and i could not play lacrosse that spring and summer at all...i was wrecked, from march all the way up until soccer practices started in the fall...i was still feeling it then, and i did not feel back to my best until december at the earliest...

several players on the ATP tour who have contracted Mono, took up to 6 months totally off to recuperate!
Federer *PLAYED* through it...and there is no doubt that he was affected by it from mid January 08, all the way into the fall. He was a shadow of his former self during that time, and he *STILL* made it to the semis of the Australian (lost to Djokovic) when he was literally just diagnosed with it in the end of January 08,

he then played just a month later in Dubai, where Murray knocked him out in the first round

just 10 days later, he made it all the way to the semis in Indian Wells, where he was beat buy Mardy Fish in straight sets!...that should show just how hard it was on Federer.

just a week later, he was in Miami, and he lost in the QuarterFinals to Roddick, who he had not lost to in years.

a week later he won the Estoril tournament on clay, a small tourney he'd never entered before.

a week later, he made it to the final in Monte Carlo, where Nadal beat him 7-5, 7-5 on clay.

a week later, he made it to the Quarters on clay in Rome, where he lost to Stepanek

that is only three months on from the infectious period of mono he suffered in Australia

a week after that, he made it to the finals in Hamburg, on clay, where he lost to NAdal, 5-7, 7-6(3), 3-6

he had a week of rest before the French Open, where he then made it to the Final, for the fourth straight year, where Nadal creamed him, 6-1, 6-3, 6-0

A week later he won Halle, the grass court tuneup for Wimbledon.

and then, came The Wimbledon Epic...roughly 5 months on from mono, when most players are just returning to the Tour after a bout like that, he had been playing straight through, he beat all six of his first opponents, without dropping a single set and just *BARELY* lost to Nadal, a powerhouse at the peak of his powers, in probably the most draining, epic match in the history of tennis.

then, with the schedule change because of the olympics, he was in Canada two weeks later, where Giles Simon, knocked him out in the 2nd round.

A week later, in Cincinatti, he was knocked out in the 3rd round by Ivo Karlovic, (he of the totally inhuman serve and nothing else)

ten days later he was at the Olympics, and made it to the OQ losing to James Blake.

A week later, he won the US Open.

a week later he won a Davis Cup match

he finally had a 3 week rest, and then lost to Murray in the semis in MAdrid

a week later, he won the Basel tournament

a week later in Paris, he had to pull out after reaching the quarters, because of a back injury...

a week later, he was in the MAsters CUp, and lost two matches out of three in the round robin phase, to Murray and Simon.

all told, considering what he went through last year, he was 76 wins and 16 losses...

he won 1 Major (US Open) appeared in the Finals of two others (Wimbledon, French) reached the semis of the Australian Open, and won 2 other titles, and appeared in 2 masters finals as well.

not a bad year considering how tough mono is to deal with.

come tomorrow morning, Roger will be #1 again, and it is well deserved.

If Rafa's knees heal, he will eventually replace Roger again sometime...but for now, Roger is the best in the world again....he may not have long left at the top, as he will be 28 in August, but if he remains injury free, he could play till he is 34 or so...and while he has already shown signs that he is no longer going unchallenged or is the near invincible player of 2004-2007, he will always be a threat to win a major. as of right now, the only ones who have shown able to challenge and overcome him on a consistent basis, are Nadal, and Murray. Both are still young, and have to overcome their own inconsistencies as well, and beat Federer.

he will never reach the dominant heights again, but is anyone willing to bet against the man, snatching at least one grand slam per year, over the next 3-4 years or so?

I think, over the next 3 years, he could win as many 6 titles, if things break right, in terms of Nadal not being healthy, Djokovic being inconsistent and Murray not being fully developed yet...

i think he will wind up with anywhere between 17-21 grand slams before he is finished.

way to go Roger...i cannot wait for the US Open! Which i shall attend in person :biggrin1:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Skully, You know how I feel about Nadal. He's boring and predictable and wins his matches by brute force.

haha, yeah, AND? Is that taboo or something? Is he supposed to prance around and frolic about, while boring his opponents to sleep? Please don't assume "brute force" is not mutually exclusive to, among other things; skill, talent, relentlessness, willpower, heart, etc etc. "Oh Federer only wins championships by sheer finesse..."...

Nadal straight up manhandles his opponents like no one else does. That is quite amazing to watch, especially when he does it to someone like Federer. His forehand is unmatched. Defensiveness, unmatched. Raw power and sheer determination, unmatched. I think he is by far the most exciting player in tennis to watch right now, so boring to me he is not. And predictable? How so? Because you know he is going to flatten his opponents with his forehand? Can you please name me some players aside from Federer who are more exciting to watch than Nadal?

could watch this for hours

in fact, as great as Nadal was last year, he still would not have taken the #1 ranking (IMO) had Federer not contracted Mono right during the Australian Open.

Aww come on man!!! Nadal owns Federer, mono or no mono, or mano y mano [which is how I judge]! We all saw Wimbledon last year, Roger could not have played any better. If mono affected his game at that time then he should go sip some dirty water bottles because he played about 10 times worse this morning. They both maxed out. Nadal was just too relentless for him. Roger definitely deserves to be #1 now but Nadal [IMO] deserved to be #1 before he even actually was #1. And I also think Roger lucked out that Nadal's injuries caught up with him, but nonetheless, they come with the territory if you play so violently. Roger is a beautiful player but I was disappointed in his performance today. And he does at times have the tendency to get bullied, especially by Nadal.

To me Nadal is the relentless warrior and Federer is the sorcerer or magician.

Back to this morning's championship, I thought the last set was a pain in the ass to watch! Seriously! A service war with no rallies. They weren't even trying to win points when they weren't on serve half the time. 40 love game after 40 love game. Roger just did enough to hold on because you knew at some point Roddick was going to falter. I hope and pray that Nadal will return healthy and continue to have a very long career, even just for the sake of the sport. No one else can step to Federer.

I agree that the talent level that Sampras was playing with was far beyond what it has been the past few years. I also think Federer and Nadal still may have beaten all of them.

He looked gutted at the end and absolutely exhausted - didn't even have the energy to smile or anything afterwards. :(

Hope he comes back to win in the next year or two. Unless it's against Murray, heheh.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bro get me a ticket I am so there! Never seen a match in person before, would die...

i wish i could help you my friend...but i am a tennis leech...my best friend and his family go every year to the US Open and the NASDAQ in Miami and i am lucky enough to be invited...his brother used to play on the sattelite circuit ages ago, they are huge tennis fans, and i have a hard enough time convincing them to drag me along alone!

i have seen some *FANTASTIC* matches there over the years...i have been to alot of the opening round days over the last 25 years or so, and i was at a couple of great semis and finals in the late 90s, but then, i started going a bit less before Federer arrived on the scene...once Federer started playing, i began to go again...i have seen him so many times, and while i know everyone likes to watch different things, i can truly say that the only thing i have seen that compares to Federer live, was seeing Michael Jordan live, in his prime. (and i saw Pele live, in the late 70s but he was already in decline)

I have seen Federer play a great deal at the USOpen, and i have seen Nadal too...Nadal though, has never been at his best at the US Open.

i have seen Federer at the US Open countless times...

in 2004, i saw him win his first US Open, absolutely wasting Lleyton Hewitt, that year i also saw him in the semis, beat Tim Henman, and a classic match in the Quarters vs Aggasi and also saw him play Costa and Baghdatis in the early rounds.

in 2005, i saw him waste a guy named Minar in the 1st round, then i saw him against Nalbandian in the quarters, Hewitt in the semis and beat Agassi in the final.

in 2006, i saw him beat Henman in the 2nd round and Spadea in the 3rd round, then i saw him in the semis vs Davydenko, and beat Roddick in the finals

in 2007, i saw him beat Capdeville, and John Isner, then Davydenko in the semis and Djokovic in the Final

last year, i did not get to go to the final though...:frown1: but i saw him play Djokovic in the semis, and Stepanek in the quarters...

I saw Nadal last year lose to Murray in the semis...and i saw him beat Sam Querry in the Quarters

in 2007 i saw him beat Tsonga, then lose to Ferrer

in 2006, i saw him lose to Youzhny in the quarters

in 2005, i saw him lose to James Blake in the 3rd round

anywaym seeing a match on TV is nothing compare to live...the TV angle does not do the speed of the game justice...the speed in person is beyond belief.

when i was young i used to go to the Volvo tournament up in New HAmpshire in the early 80s, and i saw some great matches up there, with a lot of classic players...

in 1980, i saw a young Ivan Lendl play, and i also saw Jimmy Connors, Yannick Noah and a couple others

...to see Nadal put Federer back in his place at #2!!!

bah humbug!

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Aww come on man!!! Nadal owns Federer, mono or no mono, or mano y mano [which is how I judge]!

i would hardly say he "owns Federer". he has some very clear advantages, and his style of play is very difficult for Federer to counter on clay, most notably because Nadal is a lefty, and, the key to the victories has been Nadal's topspin forehand on clay vs Federer's one handed backhand, which has proved to be the difference in the matchs...

they have played in their matches a total of 69 sets vs each other...

Nadal leads, 40 sets to 29 sets. if those 69 sets, 16 were decided in tie breakers, and 22 were decided by a single break of service game. in other words, 60% of the sets they have played, have been decided on a tiebreak or one service game break overall....so it is hardly being "owned", though Nadal does have the edge.

We all saw Wimbledon last year, Roger could not have played any better. If mono affected his game at that time then he should go sip some dirty water bottles because he played about 10 times worse this morning.

indeed, he did not play well vs roddick at all...but if you think Roger could not have played any better at Wimbledon, you are a bit off...

Federer played well below his usual level...he served 66%, while Nadal served 73%.

Federer had *52* unforced errors...while Nadal had only 27

Federer uncharacteristically threw away break chances (converted only 1 of 13)

he was poor at the net, converting only 52% of his chances (42 of 75)

and, finally even with all that, Federer won 204 points, Nadal won 209...of the 209 points Nadal won, over 1/4th were Federer unforced errors.

They both maxed out. Nadal was just too relentless for him.

well, a combination, actually. Nadal's relentlessness, and Federer's uncharacteristically huge unforced errors.

Roger definitely deserves to be #1 now but Nadal [IMO] deserved to be #1 before he even actually was #1.

well, we discussed that last year :wink:
And I also think Roger lucked out that Nadal's injuries caught up with him, but nonetheless, they come with the territory if you play so violently.

true...but Nadal also lucked out with Federer's mono, since throughout the spring, Federer was unable to defend the points that would have kept him atop the rankings, even if Nadal deserved the #1 ranking.
Roger is a beautiful player but I was disappointed in his performance today. And he does at times have the tendency to get bullied, especially by Nadal.

yes, it was not his best performance, i agree.

but i have never actually seen Federer get "bullied". I saw Nadal beat him very badly at the French last year, and i have seen Nadal overcome him quote a few times, (never as bad as the French last year) but i have seen Federer wipe the court with Nadal a few times...most notably:

Hamburg 2007 on Clay, after losing the first set 6-2, Federer came back and won the next two sets, 6-2, 6-0...on clay! (no easy feat against Nadall)

Masters Cup 2007, 6-4 6-1

Wimbledon 2006, Federer beat him 6-0, 7-6(5), 6-7(2), 6-3

up until last year, the matchup was 8-6 in favor of Nadal.

To me Nadal is the relentless warrior and Federer is the sorcerer or magician.

true.

but, we cannot forget, that the slower game and higher bounce favors Nadal, and tennis, has been moving (very sadly) away from speed and skill towards attrition.

Wimbledon surface in 2008 and 2009, is actually now *SLOWER* then most hard courts and it has been changed to a surface which gives a more true bounce.

no longer can the fastere harder hitting players count on the fast, low skidding bounce...instead, more of a true bounce, and less skid and speed, aids the heavy spin, defenders like Nadal...allowing them that extra split second to get to the ball, that on previous surfaces would be a winner past them.

this is an ATP issue, and i really hate the ATP stance on all this...the whole point of having different surfaces and speeds was to provide variety throughout the seasons...

what is the point of different surfaces, if you are going to make them all the same speed and bounce? sort of defeats the purpose.

frankly, i do not like the fact that hard courts are so prevalent...tennis was designed for grass courts, and it is a travesty, that there are only 6 grass court tourneys a year, and they are crammed in to 5 weeks, so, even if you played straight through, you could only play three maximum, since Halle/Queens Club is the same week, then Hertogenbosch/Eastbourne are the same week, then Wimbledon, then Newport (which starts the day after the Wimbledon final, so nobody can effectively enter that has made it into the quarters of wimbledon)

it is absurd...the US Open and Australian used to be on grass decades ago...now they are hard courts...

the constant smashing on hardcourts is causing injuries...

IMO, the entire summer season should play on grass...

i do not know if you have ever played on grass, but it is absolutely amazing...i love it. it is how tennis should be played, and always was cept for the clay courts.

anyway, more athletes are going to start breaking down for this simple reason:

if you increase the size of the ball, and then slow down the speed of the surface, it makes for much longer, defensive, rallies...more rallies equals much longer matches, longer matches, leads to wear and tear, and wear and tear and longer matches on hard courts, is a killer. imagine 3-4 miles of quick, side to side movement, bursts and sprints and pounding on essentially concrete.

it is ruining the game IMO.

the balls were even made 6% bigger this year to slow the game down further...advantage to the counterpunchers and defensive baseliners, like NAdal and Murray and Hewitt etc.

Back to this morning's championship, I thought the last set was a pain in the ass to watch! Seriously! A service war with no rallies.

i did not think it was a pain to watch necessarily, it was terrifying...though you are right, it was indeed a service war...(though nothing like the horrific 2001 Wimbledon Final between Ivanisevic and Rafter)

They weren't even trying to win points when they weren't on serve half the time. 40 love game after 40 love game.

well, i don't know if it was *THAT* extreme :wink:

Federer put on the best serving show of his life, wheras Roddick's serve was starting to flag in terms of velocity and consistency from the higher levels earlier in the match...

Federer had several chances where he made it to 30-40, but his return game was way off...had he been on his usual way, it likely would have been a three-four set win and not what it became.

Roger just did enough to hold on because you knew at some point Roddick was going to falter. I hope and pray that Nadal will return healthy and continue to have a very long career, even just for the sake of the sport. No one else can step to Federer.

true...i think Murray may surprise you though...i really do not like him very much...I dislike counterpunchers/defensive baseliners like Nadal and Murray
. I think it is very negative tennis. I respect its efficiency, but it is just a war of attrition style based on causing errors, not hitting winners and being agressive. (it is like the way Germany used to play soccer vs the way Brazil plays)

Murray and Nadal i think will be the next rivalry over the years possibly, which will be interesting, since Murray is the only one close to Nadal in terms of ability to retrieve and defend with such capacity.

I agree that the talent level that Sampras was playing with was far beyond what it has been the past few years. I also think Federer and Nadal still may have beaten all of them.

I agree that both Federer and Nadal would hand ass whippings to most of the rivals from the Sampras years, but frankly, i think that gets overplayed alot with regards to how good Sampras' competition was.

I think Courier was totally overrated.
Agassi was great, but the pre-98 Agassi was not as good as the Agassi that finally dedicated himself to tennis.
Becker, Edberg were already in decline by 92, Wilander was finished a bit earlier.

aside from that, there were alot of 1 or 2 hit wonders in that era, 1992-2000...Kafelnikov, Breugera, Muster, Krajicek, Moya, Korda...it was still basically Sampras, then Agassi, then everyone else.