Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Not to pick on you, but man...that ride is NOT that scary. :tongue:
Please tell me you didn't go on The Hulk. That surprise is far worse.

It was terrifying for me!!! it might not be to the casual roller coaster person, but for me it was pure hell. Leave me alone with my fear! :biggrin1:

and i was planning on going on the Hulk after Jurassic Park, but after Jurassic Park, that was quickly cancelled. plus, whoa. jut looking at it made me queasy. I have this wonderful picture i took of some of the members of my family looking up at the ride in pure fright. :tongue:

But to tell you the truth, i'm an extreme lightweight when it comes to rides like that. Give me Space Mountain anyday of the week. ooh, invisible ink is fun!

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I hear all these stories of people getting ejected from coasters and falling to their deaths. That is scary. Nothing more scarier than being on a ride wondering if your seatbelt or harness is working properly.

What even more disturbing are the 16 year old operators who secure you into the rides who do their jobs lackadaisically with a "I am so bored I could care less about any safety precaution because I'm only making $6.50/hr" attitude.

It's not like this in most parks, actually. You'd have a higher chance to be hit by a car or a falling piano from the sky than falling off a rollercoaster. But it does suck to hear about these accidents for they shouldn't happen at all.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I almost fell off of the Cyclone at Six Flags in Atlanta. Chalk it up to a skinny guy having a big girl best friend in high school, and the seat belt popped off midway through the ride. Funny thing was, she yelled that it happened, and the next thing I know, I'm wrapping my leg around the lap bar and holding on for dear life. I almost didn't want to let go even after the ride had stopped.

(Needless to say, got over my fear of roller coasters really quickly after that.)

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh My Goodness.....I love rollar coasters. I make it a point to ride every rollar coaster I get an opportunity to ride. (I have never met a rollarcoaster that I didn't like)

I grew up going to Six Flags over Texas at Arlington every year. The only funny incident that I have ever had......was that the first time I went to Six Flags with my husband (fiance at the time) I discovered that he has a fear of heights and he doesn't care for rollar coasters. We are at Six Flags with my family....female cousins and their husbands. The first ride we get on is called The Cliffhanger. It takes you up real high and then like pushes you over the cliff.....and you go straight down. (I love that ride). Anyways we are in the ride and it gets to the top.....and I look over at my soon to be husband.....and his face is as green as the Incrediable Hulk. I had no clue he had a fear of heights.....or that he didn't like rollarcoasters. I don't think he would have ever offered that information either.

Anyways my husband is a good sport. I think he is glad that we have kids now....and he always volunteers to stay with the kids......and I get a chance to go ride all the rollarcoasters that I want to by myself.

These days we only go to theme parks that are close to us or where we are vacationing. Like Six Flags Fiesta Texas...... Seaworld.......Silver Dollar City..... Last summer we went to Disney World. I have been to Bush Gardens. I used to love going to Astro World. (which is closed now).

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lol Pantsies....rollercoasters are peanuts. Meet me when ya'll wanna go bungie jumping or skydiving.:rolleyes:

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Some people just want a finger up their ass. Others want the whole fist. :biggrin1:

OCMuscJock: The Beast is a legend. Still the longest wooden rollercoaster in the world. They made a second version of the Beast that was just insane. All wooden with a 200 Foot drop (biggest drop on a woodie), and a LOOP. I heard they took the loop out, but there's still videos out there showing people riding it all in tact.

Last edited:

I hear all these stories of people getting ejected from coasters and falling to their deaths. That is scary. Nothing more scarier than being on a ride wondering if your seatbelt or harness is working properly.

What even more disturbing are the 16 year old operators who secure you into the rides who do their jobs lackadaisically with a "I am so bored I could care less about any safety precaution because I'm only making $6.50/hr" attitude.

It's not like this in most parks, actually. You'd have a higher chance to be hit by a car or a falling piano from the sky than falling off a rollercoaster. But it does suck to hear about these accidents for they shouldn't happen at all.

I almost fell off of the Cyclone at Six Flags in Atlanta. Chalk it up to a skinny guy having a big girl best friend in high school, and the seat belt popped off midway through the ride. Funny thing was, she yelled that it happened, and the next thing I know, I'm wrapping my leg around the lap bar and holding on for dear life. I almost didn't want to let go even after the ride had stopped.

(Needless to say, got over my fear of roller coasters really quickly after that.)

Decapitation is the one that surprises me. I don't know if whole trains ever go off the track.

The scariest coaster I've ever been on is also the most famous: The Cyclone.

The first reason it's scary is because it has some wicked turns. The Cyclone was built in an era before anyone knew about modeling or even much about the physics of roller coasters. What holds you onto the track is brute steel, not centrifugal force. The Cyclone has a particularly vicious sting close to the end you don't expect but will certainly remember.

The second reason it's scary is because it doesn't look all that well maintained. Sure it's a national landmark but it looks like a museum piece. The cars are ancient, the seats are worn, the bar is burnished smooth from decades of riders, it squeaks and rattles and shudders, there's paint chipping from the scaffolding, and the operators look like homeless guys picked off the street for a day's work. It's definitely shabby and you wonder just where your train will land if it went off the track as you get thrown around against the car with only this one rather small bar holding you in place. I think this makes The Cyclone more frightening than any modern roller coaster because the new ones all seem so shiny, new, and safe with their all-steel tube, computer-designed curves and hills and their safety harnesses.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media

So true. I remember riding on a roller coaster that just had a lap bar. I was in the car with two friends who were both ummm heavier than I am. I could feel myself sliding up from under the bar. Never again.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Fuck that bullshit. I'm terrified of heights. I've been on one rollercoaster ride and honest-to-God, I don't remember anything after getting on, thankfully my mind completely blacks out the incident.

I went to a carnival and got on the thing that goes back and forth in a half circle, it barely went more than 50 feet in the air and I spent the entire time cursing everybody out at the top of my lungs for letting me get on.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Fuck that bullshit. I'm terrified of heights. I've been on one rollercoaster ride and honest-to-God, I don't remember anything after getting on, thankfully my mind completely blacks out the incident.

I went to a carnival and got on the thing that goes back and forth in a half circle, it barely went more than 50 feet in the air and I spent the entire time cursing everybody out at the top of my lungs for letting me get on.

I bet u were very entertaining for those around you!:tongue:

One time I was riding the Lightning Loops @ Six Flags with some family members...one of them was my big cousin - he was a big guy - had to be about 6'3, 250 lbs, ex-military, security guard and a regular tough guy...

all of that meant nothing after the first drop - he screamed like a WOMAN at the top of his lungs until the ride was over! my sister & I couldn't believe our ears...it was the funniest thing ever...

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I bet u were very entertaining for those around you!:tongue:

Actually I felt kinda bad, I was only 13, WAY too young to be using that kinda language, and in front of me were two little girls who couldn't have been older than 8 and 10. In retrospect, I still laugh at how babyish I was.

bguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Waited nearly 2 hours in line to ride Stealth at Paramount's Great America and it was totally worth it. I was bummed to come back a year later and discover it had been torn down to make room for their water park.

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've gone with my dad on a bunch of the rollercoasters I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread... the guy is so laid back in general, it's almost scary. We'll be hurtling down a damn near 90 degree drop at 80 mph; I'll be yelling and screaming and waving my arms all around and having a blast, just like a kid again, and he'll just be sitting there calmly, with a smile on his face, as if he's taking a ride downtown to get a cup of coffee at starbucks. It's unbelievable.