Rolling Or Cuffing Jeans

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
From my mid-20s through my early 30s (~1986-93), rolling one's straight-leg jeans up enough to show off one's big boots was a hot look. It combined the Skinhead look (which, in its earliest stage was an Anarchist, not Fascist thing) combined with a street-savvy coolness and trendy hipness. It kinda died when Doc Martens' popularity waned and everyone started wearing baggy jeans.

It was completely dead with the re-introduction of flared-bottom jeans about eight years ago; I was the night manager of a trendy boutique on FtL's version of Rodeo Drive and there wasn't a single pair of men's straight-legs in the store. The momentary fad of skinny jeans brought straight legs back, but they were too tight to roll or wear boots underneath.

I've started noticing a return of steel-toed Doc Martens back about 8-9 months ago (except among certain fetishists for whom they never went out of fashion) and have seen more than a few younger guys beginning to wear their jeans either with enormous (4-5") cuffs or actually rolled to a point just above their ankles again.

About 10 days ago, I was out having dinner with a friend and decided to try it (for the first time in over 15 years). Though I don't currently own a pair of Docs, I do have a nice pair of police-issue 18" boots that I combined with a pair of dark, straight Diesel jeans rolled up to about 5" off the shoe; it felt great and looked somehow very fresh, especially as I was wearing a simple (not overdecorated, douchey T-shirt) and was consciously not aping the Skinhead cliché of braces (suspenders) and too-tight polo shirt.

Is this a trend you've noticed where you live? Would you attempt it yourself?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Unfortunately I've never been able to partake in this particular fashion trend. I have a 36" inseam. Typically when I wear jeans I wear my Frye boots and if I'm in Hawaii I wear them slightly cuffed (or rolled in my case) with rubber slippers. (flip-flops on the mainland)

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Unfortunately I've never been able to partake in this particular fashion trend. I have a 36" inseam. Typically when I wear jeans I wear my Frye boots and if I'm in Hawaii I wear them slightly cuffed (or rolled in my case) with rubber slippers. (flip-flops on the mainland)

I have something of the opposite problem with a 28" inseam :redface:

I cuffed before it was really fashionable because I disliked all that bagginess around the calf/ankle area. It always looked like I was wearing a pair of someone's taller brother's jeans.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've always cuffed my jeans/trousers but it's out of necessity not fashion. I'm very overweight so to get j's/t's that fit my waist, I have to buy them with very long legs. Some of the big clothing store chains offer sizes with multiple leg lengths but I can't afford to shop in places like that. I do my clothes shopping in K-Mart or Target.

Many years ago I had a pair of work jeans that were very long. To make them to fit down to just above my ankles, I had to pull the cuffs right up to my knees!

I don't have this problem at home though because I just slob around in elastic track-/sweat-pants and the leg lengths fit me perfectly.

Last edited: