Rolling Or Cuffing Jeans

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Bbucko, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    From my mid-20s through my early 30s (~1986-93), rolling one's straight-leg jeans up enough to show off one's big boots was a hot look. It combined the Skinhead look (which, in its earliest stage was an Anarchist, not Fascist thing) combined with a street-savvy coolness and trendy hipness. It kinda died when Doc Martens' popularity waned and everyone started wearing baggy jeans.

It was completely dead with the re-introduction of flared-bottom jeans about eight years ago; I was the night manager of a trendy boutique on FtL's version of Rodeo Drive and there wasn't a single pair of men's straight-legs in the store. The momentary fad of skinny jeans brought straight legs back, but they were too tight to roll or wear boots underneath.

I've started noticing a return of steel-toed Doc Martens back about 8-9 months ago (except among certain fetishists for whom they never went out of fashion) and have seen more than a few younger guys beginning to wear their jeans either with enormous (4-5") cuffs or actually rolled to a point just above their ankles again.

About 10 days ago, I was out having dinner with a friend and decided to try it (for the first time in over 15 years). Though I don't currently own a pair of Docs, I do have a nice pair of police-issue 18" boots that I combined with a pair of dark, straight Diesel jeans rolled up to about 5" off the shoe; it felt great and looked somehow very fresh, especially as I was wearing a simple (not overdecorated, douchey T-shirt) and was consciously not aping the Skinhead cliché of braces (suspenders) and too-tight polo shirt.

Is this a trend you've noticed where you live? Would you attempt it yourself?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Unfortunately I've never been able to partake in this particular fashion trend. I have a 36" inseam. Typically when I wear jeans I wear my Frye boots and if I'm in Hawaii I wear them slightly cuffed (or rolled in my case) with rubber slippers. (flip-flops on the mainland)

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have something of the opposite problem with a 28" inseam :redface:

I cuffed before it was really fashionable because I disliked all that bagginess around the calf/ankle area. It always looked like I was wearing a pair of someone's taller brother's jeans.

4. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've always cuffed my jeans/trousers but it's out of necessity not fashion. I'm very overweight so to get j's/t's that fit my waist, I have to buy them with very long legs. Some of the big clothing store chains offer sizes with multiple leg lengths but I can't afford to shop in places like that. I do my clothes shopping in K-Mart or Target.

Many years ago I had a pair of work jeans that were very long. To make them to fit down to just above my ankles, I had to pull the cuffs right up to my knees!

I don't have this problem at home though because I just slob around in elastic track-/sweat-pants and the leg lengths fit me perfectly.

#4 willow78, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. D_Hammond Happydipper

D_Hammond Happydipper Account Disabled

same here

only around the house

i do not want a big hole in my new jeans etc...

#5 D_Hammond Happydipper, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    How would cuffing your jeans put a hole in them?

7. D_Hammond Happydipper

D_Hammond Happydipper Account Disabled

not doing it would result in holes

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    You mean fraying around the bottom? Sorry for being dense, I just don't understand.

9. dickman45885

dickman45885 Member

Albums:
    The only jeans you can cuff, and not look super stupid...501's. You can do anything in 501's...a true classic

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree that 501s look great, but the Diesel Larkee looked just fine, and had a lower rise, which made it look more contemporary.

11. dickman45885

dickman45885 Member

Albums:
    Almost $200 for apair of jeans is a bit much for me.....501's much more affordable for me. They do look nice, but did not see a button fly, nice for commando.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice