Romance or erotic novels?

Crazy Cock

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Do you like reading softcore romance or hardcore erotic stories? Which do you like experiencing more in your life?

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You changed the question. You asked about soft-core romance and then you asked about romance.

I have enjoyed a romantic novel every so often when I was younger. I enjoyed reading about relationships and how they develop. Sometimes the action becomes graphic, and I'm fine with that as long as it's authentic. Bodice ripping is not my cup of tea. If any man dared rip a button from my shirt you can bet I would tell him where I keep my sewing materials before we proceed further.

Softcore romance is yawn (to me). I enjoyed Lorelei James' "Mastered" series... erotica with relationship-romance thrown in.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
No. I hate "chick flicks" too.

I know you were asking women who do read those kinds of books, but I still feel like I can answer part of the question.

"Hardcore Erotica" would be my preference in reality. "Softcore romance" doesn't push boundaries. The reason I've become so bonded with my guy is the fact that we open up that vulnerability that comes with hardcore sexual experiences. We have seen each other and felt each other in ways that gave us perspective and appreciation for one another.

So, I hope that answer provides something with while.

Reactions: g0nz0

I don't read garbage.

I even had to stop reading the Anita Blake series because the author got so caught up in
the sex that it completely destroyed what story there was.
Yeah....awesome!
Oh, look! Anita is fucking a cast of hundreds in the back of a limo........AGAIN.
Three chapters later they're still at it!
*YAWN*
For fuck's sake! Drag your fucking knees together and go out and kill something
already.
At this juncture I'm praying Otto will find a way to kill her off and put
her out of my misery.

I prefer Wilbur Smith and other novels that have a LOT of gratuitous violence in them,
are extremely well written and the sex is fairly incidental.

I do read some books with smut in them. Jean M Auel, Jacqueline Carey, Laurell K Hamilton, Wilbur Smith, etc. It depends on how it is done. Auel and Hamilton got boring. I wanted general vaguely historical fiction about cave people not just fucking for a goddess for the former. The latter, I wanted her working with Edward and preternatural creature crime solving with a little BDSM, not nonstop orgies.

I do read some books with smut in them. Jean M Auel, Jacqueline Carey, Laurell K Hamilton, Wilbur Smith, etc. It depends on how it is done. Auel and Hamilton got boring. I wanted general vaguely historical fiction about cave people not just fucking for a goddess for the former. The latter, I wanted her working with Edward and preternatural creature crime solving with a little BDSM, not nonstop orgies.

Looks like our tastes are very similar!
You might like the following-

J.R.Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Very well written, Very vivid, preternatural world. Lots of depth. Gritty and believable.

Nalini Singh- - The Guild Hunter series. Very well written. Lots of depth. Believable.

Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark Hunter series.

Jennifer Estp - Elemental Assassin series.

All these authors ( and their series) are exceptional and they're prolific.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I am a voracious reader, and my main preference is for crime/horror/thriller/spy/science fiction/fantasy/classic lit/poetry.

I do not mind if there's a romantic theme to the story if it is a good story. For instance, Nadja by Andre Breton is one of my favorite novels and I'd consider it a love story.

As for erotic lit, I do own several first edition Anais Nin books and several first edition The Marquis de Sade novels.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Looks like our tastes are very similar!
You might like the following-

J.R.Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Very well written, Very vivid, preternatural world. Lots of depth. Gritty and believable.

Nalini Singh- - The Guild Hunter series. Very well written. Lots of depth. Believable.

Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark Hunter series.

Jennifer Estp - Elemental Assassin series.

All these authors ( and their series) are exceptional and they're prolific.

I can eat up Sherrilyn Kenyon books like candy

Reactions: Bonfire

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
clarification: to those that like novels, do you prefer romance or erotic novels?
No. Mysteries and thrillers, sci-fi and fantasy, afro punk/afro-futurism, manga etc. I don't prefer romance or erotic novels.

The way you've worded your clarification is ridiculous. It's pretty sexist to presume that a woman either likes those genres or doesn't like novels.

D

deleted924715

I recognise some of these authors ;)

A straightforward romance or erotica will bore me, I just can't stay interested. I like to have a story and be teased with a building relationship that isn't the main focus, usually over more than one book- the build up is my favourite part, it needs to leave me wanting more. I read so much heavy stuff for work that if I read a book I want to be whisked away.

To me, this question is from the "what makes a guy a great fuck?", "if you could pick between a big dick that hums I'm a shark constantly and owns a parrot that can only say swear words, or a small dick that turns into moth on Wednesdays but will give you $3.74 million if you swallow, who would you choose?" school of thought.

It's not about what you think it's about. It's about nuances. I love the slow burn. I like to see the attraction grow, the trust build, him prove his affection/loyalty first, because those things are important to me and will hook me. The sexy bits are sexier if there is context - I need a whole story and world/character building.

My favourite romances/sex scenes in books were a long time coming: Ilona Andrews, Karen Marie Moning, Karen Chance, Kim Harrison, Sarah J Maas (my latest hotel read - I just *love* Rhys). That being said, I love me a good Kresley Cole :yum

Oh and it makes me cry to think about how the Anita Blake series went downhill - it was soooo good at the beginning.

If y'all liked earlier Anita Blake, may I suggest Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs? At least the first... six (I think) books were really fun. Not much in the way of romance/fucking, though a romantic interest does develop and I think it was fairly well done. Haven't had the chance to get any new books in a while, so I can't speak as to how the rest of the series went. It's modern day times, she's a VW mechanic, and a shape shifter.

Kim Harrison I liked. Are they worth reading after book 9? That's what I got up to and haven't had the chance to pick up more.

D

deleted924715

And completely unrelated, but @MickeyLee has always reminded me of Kresley Cole's proto-Valkyrie, Nix. I picture MickeyLee posting with a bat on her shoulder. I think the profile pic helps :blush:

Reactions: LaFemme and Enid
D

deleted924715

If y'all liked earlier Anita Blake, may I suggest Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs? At least the first... six (I think) books were really fun. Not much in the way of romance/fucking, though a romantic interest does develop and I think it was fairly well done. Haven't had the chance to get any new books in a while, so I can't speak as to how the rest of the series went. It's modern day times, she's a VW mechanic, and a shape shifter.

Kim Harrison I liked. Are they worth reading after book 9? That's what I got up to and haven't had the chance to pick up more.

Oh I have read Mercy Thompson and I do enjoy it! I wasn't fussed on her other series though.

I thought the series was worth finishing, unfortunately most series I've read hit their peak at about book 3, but it's still a really good quality read. I love the intricate world building in The Hollows series. Kind of like Harry Potter for adults

Reactions: 693987

Oh! Also, Earl Emerson's books about Thomas Black are a fun read for mystery. Author is nice, too. The Nightside series by Simon R Green is fun modern fantasy/darkish fantasy too, if that's your cuppa tea. He gets a bit repetitive with how he describes things, but I liked them overall. Gave me a bit of a Dresden Files vibe. Little bit of romance thrown in but very mild.

D

deleted924715

Oh! Also, Earl Emerson's books about Thomas Black are a fun read for mystery. Author is nice, too. The Nightside series by Simon R Green is fun modern fantasy/darkish fantasy too, if that's your cuppa tea. He gets a bit repetitive with how he describes things, but I liked them overall. Gave me a bit of a Dresden Files vibe. Little bit of romance thrown in but very mild.

Oooh thank you - I'm always looking for a good read. Lately with some of my Kindle purchases I've had to do the unforgivable and not finish. I don't think the reviews can be trusted any more.

Oooh thank you - I'm always looking for a good read. Lately with some of my Kindle purchases I've had to do the unforgivable and not finish. I don't think the reviews can be trusted any more.

I hope my suggestions don't disappoint! :scream: