Romantic Love: Fact or Fiction?

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it's called "discriminating taste".
Perfect answer.

Hey Starry eyes,

It happens to me and continues to happen. However there are limits when you're married and have kids.

What kind of limits? I'm not trying to challenge you but asking what obstacles to romance you've found since being married and having kids. I'm sure there are plenty I haven't considered.

I understand that romantic dinners and getaways won't be as spontaneous as they used to be because you'd have to plan for someone to look after your kids but they can still happen. Heck, if you can pack the little ones off to the grandparents' for the night you can still greet your loved one at the door nekkid and proceed to ravish them on the spot.

Spontanaeity can still be had in front of the kids, too, if a little subdued. If you find your mate doing something in the kitchen take them for a brief twirl across the floor. A dip, a kiss, and mosey off humming a tune to yourself. You'll be happy, your partner will be happy and you'll have given the kids something to giggle/snicker/roll their eyes at (age dependant). I think things like this are healthy for kids to observe in their parents as they make for happy memories and give them something to strive for when they're ready to have relationships of their own.

P.S. Very glad to hear you're still experiencing it.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Let me see ..........blah blah blah...................—"romantic love."

Isn't it romantic?

As Jason has reminded me, Romantic love is often unrequited and in this state it does live forever.

Romantic love is the acceptable face of unrequited lust. That lust has to be sanctified in holy matrimony, much to Paul's chagrin.

Romantic "fiction" fills the bookshelves when the above goes wrong, and sometimes even right.

Much of life isn't particularly romantic. That said, I bought someone flowers the other day.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My personal definition of romantic love is caring for someone's well-being as much as your own and experiencing the same in return. I've experienced it more than once and just because it didn't last doesnt' mean it wasn't love. Nothing lasts for humans. Even if you believe in an afterlife, everything comes to an end on earth for us when we eventually die. Some might think that's a reason not to yearn or search for love but I disagree. Each year goes by faster and the hope and/or blessing of being able to find someone you want to share your life with for however long you can - be they 2 or 28 years - is reason enough to believe that you can appreciate love all the more knowing that your time on earth is finite.

*has the sudden feeling she's created a real downer of a post with the mention of death*

Yay love! :biggrin1:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree that although it doesn't last, it does exist.

I used to ardently support the notion that it's nonetheless worth pursuing. I'm unsure of my position at this point.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
--------------------------------
I have been thinking about this for a while. But first, I would be interested in what others have to say.

Anytime you give your heart to someone, you give them permission to do with what they want. It is a sure thing. If you love them today, they can disappoint you tomorrow...and it is up to you to pick up the pieces from where they left off.

I am only speaking for myself not others. Some may get romance and keep it forever. Some don't get that.

Romantic love is fact for some. Some it is fiction. Romance fiction are best-sellers. So are self-help books. I wish that I didn't spend as much money on those books. I could've had a life instead of believing in such things as romantic love. :frown1: I think that what really kept me feeling I was someone. I felt alive.

I bet my parents laughed at my optimism. :smile:

Nowadays, I go by the SELF-HELP/RELATIONSHIP aisle at BARNES+NOBLE...when no one is looking, I so want to spray adhesive in most of those tomes and put them back on the shelf. :mad:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree, but romantic love is different to love.

Ahhhhh this mortal coil :wink:

How vast of a difference do you think there is?

Nowadays, I go by the SELF-HELP/RELATIONSHIP aisle at BARNES+NOBLE...when no one is looking, I so want to spray adhesive in most of those tomes and put them back on the shelf. :mad:
Don't you dare walk into MY bookstore and do that. I'll be the one on the endcap giving you the evil eye. :tongue:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Huge.

Romantic Love is a confusion of the most powerful emotions. Love, true love, is the shambolic in harmony.

Ommmhhhh :biggrin1:

What makes you think the former can't evolve into the latter?

*Crosses legs yoga-style. Shut eyes. Hums* :biggrin1:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Don't you dare walk into MY bookstore and do that. I'll be the one on the endcap giving you the evil eye. :tongue:

AHHH. You are no fun. :rolleyes:

Viva la revolucion!!!:eek:uttahere:

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had romantic love that lasted 6 years. It was great while it lasted. 10 years later, I felt the same thing, but it was one sided. Hasn't happened since. I'm fine with having friends and enjoying people socially without the heavy duty partner trip. I'm open to it if it should come my way, but not holding my breath. I'm not one of these guys who needs someone to be complete.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think that every couple has to define what romance is for them. Speaking for my partner and I we...
Always kiss when greeting or parting.
We unwind everyday with a glass of wine with quiet music and talk about our day.
I find love letters in my luggage whenever I travel.
I send flowers to his destination when he travels.
When we travel anywhere together we make a point to slow dance under the stars together.
We take candle lit baths together.
At least once a week, we turn off the phone and don't answer the door for a least 12 hours and spend quiet time enjoying our company.
Last night we had a lovely slow dance around the kitchen before bed.
When I woke up this morning there was a love note written in soap on the bathroom mirror.
All of these things are simple acts of kindness that I never take for granted. I certainly don't intend to ever stop making romantic gestures. All of this may not be how you define romance, but it certainly works for me.

Last edited:

greatdickismydrug

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
--------------------------------

Romantic love is fact for some. Some it is fiction.

Exactly, just like Santa Claus. Same goes for parental love.

Romance fiction are best-sellers. So are self-help books. I wish that I didn't spend as much money on those books. I could've had a life instead of believing in such things as romantic love. :frown1:

Don't be hard on yourself. Society conditions us from a very early age to believe in romantic love, as well as parental love. Most of us have wasted time believing in that bullshit.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't be hard on yourself. Society conditions us from a very early age to believe in romantic love, as well as parental love. Most of us have wasted time believing in that bullshit.

My mom and dad weren't perfect. I wasn't either. Mom and dad loved me to a point and where they left off--I picked up the slack. THAT should give you an idea of parental love.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that every couple has to define what romance is for them. Speaking for my partner and I we...
Always kiss when greeting or parting.
We unwind everyday with a glass of wine with quiet music and talk about our day.
I find love letters in my luggage whenever I travel.
I send flowers to his destination when he travels.
When we travel anywhere together we make a point to slow dance under the stars together.
We take candle lit baths together.
At least once a week, we turn off the phone and don't answer the door for a least 12 hours and spend quiet time enjoying our company.
Last night we had a lovely slow dance around the kitchen before bed.
When I woke up this morning there was a love note written in soap on the bathroom mirror.
All of these things are simple acts of kindness that I never take for granted. I certainly don't intend to ever stop making romantic gestures. All of this may not be how you define romance, but it certainly works for me.

Nude-- We do many of those same things. And you have given me a few more ideas--I especially like the idea of turning off the phone, not answering the door, and just enjoying each other.