Romney for state constitutional amendment defining life as beginning at conception

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Calboner, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mitt Romney is a man of principle: he will gladly adopt any principle that he calculates to favor his candidacy. From ThinkProgress [edited to add: According to the article, the quoted exchange concerns the constitution of the state of Massachusetts when Romney was governor]:

#1 Calboner, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. monel

Gold Member

I didn't see the interview but was Romney speaking the US Constitution or Massachusetts'? Huckabee's question ("Would you have ...") and the headline ("State Constitutional Amendment") suggest that it regards what he would have done while Governor of Massachusetts. If this is indeed the case, Romney is lying (Surprise!). When he ran against Ted Kennedy for Senate, during one debate he claimed to be more pro-choice than Kennedy and touted having walked with his mother for abortion rights. As you noted, during the gubernatorial campaign, he assured Massachusetts that he had no interest in limiting abortion rights. Of course back then he was "social liberal" Romney not the wacky arch conservative that appeared on the Presidential campaign trail 4 years ago. Glad to see he is living up to his pandering self. It is likely to ensure his exit from the race.

3. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    The video excerpt does not include enough context to indicate which constitution is under discussion, but the article says that it is the Massachusetts state constitution.
    I wouldn't bet on it.

4. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    We shouldn't be so hard on Romney, who is bravely struggling with defects of memory. From an interview in Manchester, NH, yesterday:

5. monel

Gold Member

"...Instead, I focus on the things I think I will say."

This is priceless.

6. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's funny to me, how the "right to life" folks seem to be wanting to take a scientific point of view on this issue. The bible clearly counts the years of one's life as the years since his birth, not the years since his conception. It is science that has declared life begins at conception. Yet, these same folks denounce science every chance they get. I just don't understand it.

Anyway, more on topic: Romney is a political opportunist. He'll run with any political ideal, so long as he thinks it will get him elected. I'm not saying this is rare among politicians. I'm just pointing out that Romney is a good example of such behavior.

7. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    i am in ma. and.........."mitney, bah!"

8. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is not just the Bible that is against them; it is most of two thousand years of Christian doctrine, to say nothing of the doctrines of other religions.
    Agreed.

9. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Yep.

10. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    The "personhood"/life begins at conception Amendment has been on the ballot here in Colorado twice, and failed both times by about a 2 to 1 margin.

I think Mississippi is the next state to have it on the ballot.

It is good to see the blatant flipflopping. I can't wait to see the campaign commercials once the race gets into full gear.

Draft saved Draft deleted