Romney's hat in the ring?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So now Mitt Romney has announced he will vie for the presidential candidacy. So now we have an evangelical LDS and an evangelical Baptist (Mike Huckabee did announce presidential intentions, didn't he?) in the running, how scary is that? (Go ahead, you-know-who, start in with me!)

My write-in candidate is going to be our own LPSG's JustAsking.

JA, if you were on the ballot, I would vote for you, over any who have announced to date.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh Dear Lord!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: The thought of any of the current candidates having the power of the White House behind them is enough to make me pack my bags and move to Cortona, Italy (my favorite place on the planet.

For me Mitt Romney is the scariest Johnny-Come-Lately as he used to be on the board of a museum for which I worked. The fact I don't like his politics is not an issue. He has war chest the size of North America! This alone will make him a force with which to be reckoned.

So now Mitt Romney has announced he will vie for the presidential candidacy. So now we have an evangelical LDS and an evangelical Baptist (Mike Huckabee did announce presidential intentions, didn't he?) in the running, how scary is that? (Go ahead, you-know-who, start in with me!)

My write-in candidate is going to be our own LPSG's JustAsking.

JA, if you were on the ballot, I would vote for you, over any who have announced to date.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
To be a republican and get elected in the notoriously moonbat taxachusetts is an accomplishment in and of itself. Other than that I don't know much about the dude.

STYLYUNG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Have you forgotten that Mitt Romney saved the Winter Olympics for Salt Lake City? He Knows how to get things done.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmm, no, I guess not, except maybe when he voiced his opinions about same-gender marriage?

What a politician says is of little consequence. What did he actually do about it?

And what is your rationale for insisting that it has anything to do with religion? Opinions can be secular. I have an opinion about it, and I'm not even slightly religious.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To be a republican and get elected in the notoriously moonbat taxachusetts is an accomplishment in and of itself. Other than that I don't know much about the dude.

That's common here. We've actually had more Republican governors than Democrat. From the early '60s we had Republicans Volpe, Sargent (an alum of my alma mater), Weld, Cellucci, Swift (who doesn't really count), and of course Romney. During the same period we had Democrats Peabody (the only MA governor to share a name with four MA towns), Dukakis, and King.

The other local state on the bleeding edge of leftoidism, NY, exhibits the same phenomenon. When state corruption gets to the point that even New Yorkers can't ignore it, they vote in some Republicans, mainly to rein in the unions. Republicans are also corrupt, but not as corrupt. (That's not something I made up - I just heard it from an ex-New Yorker and lifelong Democrat.)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What a politician says is of little consequence. What did he actually do about it?
Um, you live there, you should know what he actually did.
And what is your rationale for insisting that it has anything to do with religion? Opinions can be secular. I have an opinion about it, and I'm not even slightly religious.
My rationale is that in the quotes I read, he stated that his position was based upon the fact that homosexuality is contrary to his religious beliefs. I won't take the time or effort to research, go back through all those back issues of Metro Weekly, Washington Blade, or Washington Post.

I have no doubts whatsoever that you have opinions about it, either. I have opinions about it too. Whose opinions should be binding upon the entire populace: yours, mine, or Mitt's?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Have you forgotten that Mitt Romney saved the Winter Olympics for Salt Lake City? He Knows how to get things done.

Saved?

er, wasn't that the Olympics characterized as much by bribery and payoff scandals involving the organizing committee, event judges and the IOC as it was about athletics?

scanjock8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Romney's religion didn't seem to be a notable factor while he was Gov here in MA.

Which is significant given the large Roman Catholic population in MA. In a national election it's the Evangelical 'base' that could pose problems for Romney, which is too bad--I think he's the best shot the Republicans have taking on any of the possible Democractic candidates.

Romney is a formidable politician. A natural extemporaneous speaker, polished, good looking. His record of bipartisan initiatives as govenor of MA plays well with moderates and swing voters. CEO of Bain, Harvard MBA--the guy is sharp to say the least.

He's flip-flopped on a few issues over the years. Hilary's gonna go after him like an attack dog. 08 should prove to be a fascinating race.

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
To be a republican and get elected in the notoriously moonbat taxachusetts is an accomplishment in and of itself. Other than that I don't know much about the dude.​

He didn't win, so much as the Democratic candidate lost. Note the complete blow-out Healey, Romeny's Lt. Gov., just faced when running for gov. in Mass. In other words, the people of Massachusetts DESPISED the man.

If he wins the presidency I'm becoming an Aussie.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Mormons are a strange bunch, I know several who seem to be deeply deeply religious, and yet, somehow simultaneously they are also firmly in touch with the realities of the real (i.e. secular) world. Unlike most Chrisitan politicians, who seem to either be a) so lost in their own version of their faith that they can't be trusted to make rational or relevant decisions, or b) they pay lip service to God and the church (and sometimes fag hating) but don't seem to actually have any religious conviction at all.

scanjock8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mormons are a strange bunch, I know several who seem to be deeply deeply religious, and yet, somehow simultaneously they are also firmly in touch with the realities of the real (i.e. secular) world. Unlike most Chrisitan politicians, who seem to either be a) so lost in their own version of their faith that they can't be trusted to make rational or relevant decisions, or b) they pay lip service to God and the church (and sometimes fag hating) but don't seem to actually have any religious conviction at all.

I was left with similar impressions of Mormon acqaintances. They assimilated with ease. I never knew them to proselytize or openly judge others. But I suppose the Mormon church as an organization is similar that way--laying low, quietly managing the boy scouts, amassing corporate wealth. But a Mormon president? Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell would surely set out to squash such a threat. Whakos.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was left with similar impressions of Mormon acqaintances. They assimilated with ease. I never knew them to proselytize or openly judge others. But I suppose the Mormon church as an organization is similar that way--laying low, quietly managing the boy scouts, amassing corporate wealth. But a Mormon president? Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell would surely set out to squash such a threat. Whakos.
Heheh, nice sentiment, scanjock, but the same was said about Quakers and Roman Catholics; didn't seem to hurt RM Nixon or JF Kennedy as much as was originally thought...

scanjock8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Heheh, nice sentiment, scanjock, but the same was said about Quakers and Roman Catholics; didn't seem to hurt RM Nixon or JF Kennedy as much as was originally thought...

Yeah, but they're Christians--not cult followers... ;-) We haven't had an Episcopalian in office since Bush Sr--we're long overdue.

Maybe I judged the 700 Clubbers too harshly. It's not an official endorsement, but our boy Mitt is giving the commencement speech at Regent University, the school founded by Pat Robertson (should have figured Robertson might go for the smooth-talking Bain consultant).

Falwell will likely endorse McCain. Dobson is a wild-card.

Guiliani is staying away from the preacher set.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Um, you live there, you should know what he actually did.

I sure do. He didn't do squat. If you have something for which to attack him or his record, you're going to have to say what it is. Not too many here are going to be impressed if you're too uninformed or too lazy to cite specifics. Re Romeny's beliefs, they had no effect whatever on Massachusetts. You might have noticed that it and its court system are hardly bastions of homophobia.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I sure do. He didn't do squat. If you have something for which to attack him or his record, you're going to have to say what it is. Not too many here are going to be impressed if you're too uninformed or too lazy to cite specifics. Re Romeny's beliefs, they had no effect whatever on Massachusetts. You might have noticed that it and its court system are hardly bastions of homophobia.
<...> This latest tactic was begun Thursday when Gov. Mitt Romney filed emergency legislation in the legislature to allow him and his counsel, retired Supreme Judicial Court Justice Joseph R. Nolan, to address the high court. (From Washington Times Romney on path to bar same-sex 'marriage' - The Washington Times: Nation/Politics )

Romney Wants Gay-Marriage Ban on Mass. Ballot
Governor to Ask Court to Place Amendment Before Voters if Legislators Don't Decide the Issue

By David Weber
Associated Press
Monday, November 20, 2006; Page A06

BOSTON, Nov. 19 -- Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) said Sunday that he will ask the state's highest court this week to order a ballot question on same-sex marriage if legislators fail to vote on the matter when they reconvene in January.

Romney said he will ask a justice of the state's Supreme Judicial Court to direct the secretary of state to place the question on the ballot if lawmakers do not vote directly on the question Jan. 2, the final day of the current session. Romney's term as governor expires Jan. 4.

The legislature is in recess and, because it did not adjourn, Romney has no legal authority to call legislators back into session.

Romney, an opponent of same-sex marriage, made his announcement to the cheers of hundreds of same-sex-marriage opponents at a rally on the Statehouse steps. A counter-protest was held across the street.
The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled in November 2003 that same-sex marriages are legal. Since then, more than 8,000 gay couples have tied the knot in the state.

More than 170,000 people had signed a petition in support of the ballot question, which would define marriage as between a man and a woman.
Romney has criticized lawmakers since they refused earlier this month to take up the question during a joint session, voting instead to recess, all but killing the measure.

"A decision not to vote is a decision to usurp the Constitution, to abandon democracy and substitute a form of what this nation's founders called tyranny, that is, the imposition of the will of those in power, on the people," Romney said earlier. "The issue now before us is not whether same-sex couples should marry. The issue before us today is whether 109 legislators will follow the Constitution."

Supporters of same-sex marriage defended lawmakers' procedural move.
"One of the tenets of the Constitution is that you do not put the rights of a minority up for a popularity contest," said Marc Solomon, campaign director for Mass Equality, which supports same-sex marriage. "It is one of the very principles this country was founded upon."

Messages seeking comment from legislative leaders were not immediately returned Sunday.

The legislature grappled with various efforts to ban same-sex marriages before the high court ruling in 2003. Lawmakers refused to vote on a citizens' initiative in 2002, and two years later they voted down their own proposed amendment that would have banned same-sex marriage and legalized civil unions. (From Washington Post Romney Wants Gay-Marriage Ban on Mass. Ballot - washingtonpost.com )

I guess you are absolutely right, big d, he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Nothing at all. Not even trying to coerce lawmakers to his side.

I quoted both the Washington Post and the Washington Times to illustrate that this was not some "liberal media" issue.

Again, as usual, you are right, I am wrong.