Ronald Reagan Has Died

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MisterMark, Jun 5, 2004.

1. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow - this morning they were saying that Reagan's death "was not imminent". And now it's just been announced that he died. It's interesting how news like that is controlled.

Well, we all knew this was coming. I'm just glad this happened now, however, and not in October, which could have led to a huge sympathy vote for Bush. Yikes.

Mark

2. Mr. Big Stuff

Mr. Big Stuff Member

Albums:
    Mark, don't hold your breath. It still can be a vote for Bush. While I think Reagan Deserves the respect a dead president should have, can you imagine all of the glory mongering the right will do? They will USE his death as rallying cry. Of that I am certain. They will do exactly what they accused the democrats of doing during the Paul Wellstone debacle. (of course, anyone who has read Franken's book know what a farce that was, but I digress)

I envision Ronald Reagan day, Commemorative coins etc.

Ken

3. Imported

Gold Member

dcbulgefreak: I'm keeping my TV turned off for the next week. The memorializing of this idiot will make me throw up if I have to watch it.

His legacy in my mind...

1) The beginning of big deficits.

2) Screw the poor and give big tax cuts to rich people. "Ketchup is a vegetable".

3) 30,000 people dead from AIDS before they got a policy together to deal with it.
    It was a gay disease - they didn't give a shit.

4) The assault on a woman's right to choose got hot. I don't love abortion. But its not the government's business to be involved in the decision.

5) "Trees pollute". The Reagan environmental policy.

6) This "great communicator" often was propped up by his wife answering questions. She knew more than he did.

7) Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. GAG. Pretty damn pathetic given that he fired thousands of air traffic controllers.

I could go on. But I will not miss this man. The country is worse off for him being president. At least he was legitimately elected.

4. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol...OMG... I was worried about sounding "cold". After reading the two responses to my original message, I guess I don't have to worry about that!

5. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: I agree. I frankly care more about my sister-in laws father's neighbours second cousins death. I haven't really experienced his politics consciously being that I was 8 when he left office, but what I've learned of him afterwards sickens me to the bone.

He was a Republican in heart and soul, one of the most extreme ever to be able to take office, and that sickens me by definition. What some people think they can get away with is appalling, and I truely have only one thought that somehow soothes my frustration: whatever he did, he'll get his now with the Big Man Upstairs.

Some people get life handed on a silver plate and think it means the world revolves around them, that poverty is a disease given to you by God for your sins, and are the personification of chauvinism. This is probbaly why I have as little good words left for fraudulous, traitorous people like the Bush clan.

But seriously though, America votes for them. I truely wish a psychologist, sociologist or maybe even zoologist would explain that to me.

6. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

We don't know if the info. released was controlled or not. Speaking as a funeral director, I have seen countless times where we have gotten calls from families telling us that they have been told by doctors or Hospice workers that their loved one only had a couple of hours to live and that we would be getting "the call" from the hospital in a little while. Well, days can pass and we never get a call, only to see the person who was supposed to die in a store or eating lunch in a restaurant or something. On the other hand, we also encounter situations where someone who is healthy goes into the hospital for some routine procedure and a couple of hours later, we are on the way to the morgue in the hearse. There is a very fine line between life and death. Alzheimer's patients die from complications from a myriad of other problems--pneumonia, sepsis, etc. We don't know what other problems he had--the media don't have the full story, and the family members aren't going to release all the details to the media for them to screw up the minutia.
    Let's just let President Regan rest in peace and stop bickering about whether or not he was a good president or not. We need to remember his positive accomplishments at a time like this and not dwell on the negative. To only focus on the negative at a time of loss is immature and petty. Wait a couple of weeks and then start debating about the positive and negative effects of his presidency.

7. Mr. Big Stuff

Mr. Big Stuff Member

Albums:
    I hope I did not sound cold. I didn't like some of his policies, but I do not wish the manner of his death (nor his disease) on anyone. I guess I am able to separate the person from the politics.

I just wanted to point out that I think that some (in the right wing of the republican party) would seek to use his death. (heck, look at fox news....brit hume and company are already using it.)

And, despite what others on this board have said, I believe he will be missed by many Americans....and for good reasons. Some hate him (especially on this board) but others loved him dearly. Me I do not know him as well. (like Javy, I was only 8)

Ken

8. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

We must give the devil his due. For many Americans he was good president, for others the feeling was not so rosy.Big Stuff, I do remember him and he definitely was a pefect example of a conservative man of his generation. I say that in all ways that it applies.(pregnant pause) But that is one of the great things about living in America. I actually compare the night the late President Reagan was elected to the day another President of Irish decent, John F. Kennedy was shot. I remember it with shock and awe! I will not be surprised if the nation's capital soon becomes Reagan instead of Washington. It already has the airport and a major government building with his name on them. But what ever we might have thought about him we should give him the respect he is due..... ( another pregnant pause)

Naughty

In Peckeresque style I leave you with a zinger. For many he was known as "The Great Commuicator" for others he was "The Great Prevaricator".

9. Imported

Gold Member

wlipman: From the top:

Possibly the worst president, ever, who paved the way for the Presidency to be catapulted into the Bush leagues, I and II.

His wife, a raptor if ever there was one, supported all the conservative horseshit there ever was, save for one topic: Nancy Reagan lobbied the BushII admin quietly to stop the idiocy concerning stem cell research, so that there might be some hope for her husband.

Trust the walking scum that call themselves conservatives: they'll fuck the rest of us to hell in a handbasket, but if it's their ox that's being gored (no pun intended), just watch them sing a different tune.

Reagan's finally succumbed to the Altzheimer's that was evident in him from the first day of his Presidency on...if anyone was watching. Trouble is, the goddam press gave the jackass an 8 year bye, while they crucified Clinton for a blowjob.

This country is one fucking mess.

10. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Regardless how you guys feel about the man, he consistently rates high on the 'Best Presidents' polls.

He held the reins of the free world as the iron curtain fell from its own weight and showed Americans what optimism could do to bring us back from the depths of low spirits the 1970's left us with. Sure, he had his share of problems with those in the government who seem to surface from the muck periodically but you could not find a man more dedicated to a cause.

He'll be remembered for his 'Aw, shucks' delivery and his conservatism. God bless the man. He didn't sit around complaining and finding fault - he got up and served his country.

I would have been proud to have been his friend.

11. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: I hate politics; but what I remember about Reagan is that he passed the law that made step-children eligable for military benifits.My step-father was a disabled vet and when he died if it wasn't for me getting his benifits we would have lost our home and been out on the streets, also Reagan sent me a hand written condolance (not a form letter and Bush Sr. signed it too) letter. For these things I'm gratefull to him. At times like this it's best to think about the good things people did and keep your thoughts with there loved ones not harp on the negatives.

12. naughty

Gold Member

Ok...

I usually do not go here because the old maxim about never discussing religion or politics probably was created for this very reason. I can respect the now late former president for standing by his convictions, I can respect him for his efforts in terms of ending the cold war and the freeing of East Germany and the Soviet Block nations. I also can respect the return of some of the family values that many of us grew up with...but I also think about the homeless people wandering the street today that were allowed to leave mental institutions under his watch. Many of those individuals were done irreparable damage by that decision. I think of the tough times many individuals who did not agree with his policies had during the boom of the eighties, and I really remember the feeling that we were going backwards in terms of civil and human rights policies in the country. It is ironic that basically I am pretty conservative in most of my ways of thinking but if conservative also means that the idea of liberty and justice for all does not apply I have to think twice. I admire Mrs.Reagan's devotion to her husband and I am sure that he was a good man but I feel that how you were affected by his term of office very much determines how you will remember him. I respected him as president , and I respected his ability to help a whole generation of Americans have hope and for that I pray that he may truly rest in peace.

Naughty

P.S. BRMSTN69 ,That is a really wonderful story about the President.I can see why you cherish it. It just goes to show that we as many great individuals was definitely a person of complexity.

13. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

dcbulgefreak:

The seven Reagan points you make for his legacy as far as you are concerned coincide with mine. Number 3, alone, would tell all of us the type of person he was. I was abiding his presidency until he even refused to say the HIV word, to say nothing of having the government take any steps to combat the epidemic, which facilitated the death of thousands of individuals.

wlipman:

Thanks for bringing up the media's crusifing of Clinton for getting a blow job, which came to light by the conservatives' continual battering, because of their intense jealousy of him and his extraordinary abilities. I seriously question the mentality of the average US citizen.

14. jonb

Gold Member

Reagan's legacy includes Noriega, Saddam Hussein, crack, and ketchup as a vegetable. He also was fond of eugenics; Indian women were unwitting guinea pigs for Depo-Provera under Reagan. (The connections between Reagan and the Pioneer Fund ran deep.)

Reagan will be remembered, though: Bills renaming everything after Ronald Reagan are, after hydrogen and human stupidity, the most common substance in the universe.

15. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: Thanx Naughty, I'd like to point out that my dad was as devoute a democrat as a priest is catholic, he hated Reagan
    Like I said I hate politics and it's a subject I usually shy away from

16. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: Oh, as for Clinton getting head, anybody with thier finger on the button I want somebody slobbin' thier knob and keeping them nice and relaxed. Besides it was in the transcripts(Monica went down Bill said it's been a long time since I had this)
    right there Hillary was't sucking the dick, it's all her falt we had to deal with Star's bullshit not to mention millions of tax dollars spent to find out if Bill got a hummer!

17. naughty

Gold Member

BRMSTN69,

I have particularly angry memories of the costly pleasuring that our 42nd president had at the tax payers expense. I happen to work in DC and during the time this was happening DC was on shutdown. He was having the proverbial pissing contest with Congress while thousands of Govt workers were at home on the govt shut down.What made me angry was because I was putting together a big gala and four day conference in conjunction with a White House office, I was deemed essential and had to try to conduct business with people that were no where to be found! SO when I found out what was really happening when I was working on a heart attack, I was not too thrilled with the Master and Commander. Oh, and I am a registered Democrat.

Naughty

18. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: I just think it was an issue between Bill,Hillary & Monica and it should have been settled by them, all the investagations and hearings were not nessary and things got way outta hand

19. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: I can't believe some of you can't get over yourselves long enough to mourn the loss of one of the greatest presidents of the 20th century. Reagan really was an amazing president and I am not saying this because of my politics. Hell! I wasn't even old enough to understand politics in the 80's. You can't ignore the facts for two much longer, though. He took a country that was in shambles from the lackluster and terrible Carter administration and the Vietnam war and turned everything around. He made a goal to end communism in Europe, and in 1982 Communism seemed to be stronger then ever. But this man was a good enough leader and had enough confidence to declare that by the end of his administration the threat of Communism would be over. And he did that. He brought back a sense of pride to this country, he rejuvenated a nation and kick started an economy in the crapper due to Carter's disastrous 4 years. Not since FDR do I think any president has made such a big impact on this country. He is easily one of the greatest presidents of the last 40 or 50 years. Anyone who calls him "the worst president ever", must still be so skewed by politics or must have just been living under a rock during the 80's. Have some respect for the man, and open your eyes. Look anywhere, CNN, Fox News, anywhere, and even Democrats are hailing him as one of the greatest presidents of the 20th century. With the exception of FDR, the country has never mourned to this degree at the loss of an ex president.

So to you very liberal few of LPSG, you really will need to get accept the fact that Reagan will go down in history books as one of the greatest presidents of the 20th century... whether or not he mentioned the word "AIDS" until the late 80's.

20. naughty

Gold Member

Gigantok,

I think the way in which you described President Reagan was lovely. However, as you yourself said you were not old enough to remember his adminstration. Enough said.Perhaps in the spirit of reverence I will now go and listen to some of his speeches and try not to view him with the jaundiced eye of one who lived through it.

Naughty

Draft saved Draft deleted