Rosh Hashanah

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For those here who celebrate the holiday "Happy New Year" for those who don't try my Honey Cake recipe if you are so inclined.
For the cake
4 cups walnut halves(pick out 24 of the best looking walnut halves and set them aside)
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups water
1 cup light honey (I prefer orange blossom honey)
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
.5 tsp kosher salt
2.5 cup all purpose flour ( I prefer Swan's Down brand)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
For the syrup
1 cup honey
grated zest of two lemons (1 tbl)
juice of two lemons(.5 cuo)
Equipment
9X13 cake pan
Food processor
Preheat the oven to 350
Butter the pan
Place walnuts in the food processor with sugar and pulse 25 times for about a second until it is a coarse meal. (be careful not to over process)
In a large pan combine the butter, water, cinnamon, and salt and the ground walnut sugar mixture over medium heat stir until the mixture bubbles at a low boil Remove from heat
Stir in the flour, baking powder and baking soda until blended. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Arrange the set aside walnut halves in even rows across the top and push them slightly into the batter. Bake in a preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is is golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack until lukewarm.
Meanwhile prepare the syrup in a sauce pan combine honey with a half cup of water on med/high heat add the lemon zest and bring to a boil stir until the mixture becomes syrupy (about 7 minutes) Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
While the cake is warm spoon the syrup over the top and let it sink in before adding the next spoon full. The cake should sit for four hours to let the syrup absorb into the cake (for best results let it rest over night)
Serve the cake in squares with the walnut row in the center of each piece.
There are usually no left overs at my house, but it keeps if wrapped air tight for up to a week.
Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, since we're all getting so semitic, here's my old lover's favorite Rosh Hashana chain letter:

L'Shanah Tovah

Hashem determines who walks into your life....It is up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Hashem , bless all my friends and special family in whatever it is that you know they may be needing this day! And may their life be full of peace, prosperity and power as they seek to have a closer relationship with you.

Amen.

Now send this on to five other people, including the person (me) who sent it to you. Within minutes you have caused a multitude of people to pray for other people.

That my friend is a Mitzvah.

L' Shanah Tovah with Love

-------------------------

In memory of Gary Shapiro, a nice hunk of a Jewish boy who still haunts my dreams.

Last edited: