Rotator Cuff Surgery and Recovery

D

deleted814719

I severly injured my shoulder nearly three months ago in a hiking accident. A recent MRI indicated that I've got several tears in my rotator cuff. I'm scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon next week and am pretty much resigned to needing surgery after reading the MRI report and doing some internet research. The tears are such that physical therapy and/or steroid injections are not going to heal the shoulder.

I'm curious as to the experience men might have had with rotator cuff surgery. How did the surgery and recovery go? What suggestions can you offer for healing?

I'm pretty bummed by the whole prospect of surgery and the seemingly long recovery process.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thirty years ago, I had rotator cuff surgery. This was back in the days of open surgery and I sport a three inch scar. The pain post surgery was pretty intense and they kept me in the hospital for three days giving me IM Morphine.
These days, the surgery will almost certainly be laparoscopic. Therefore the surgery itself should be easier. The PT was kind of rough, at first. So, it was not fun but it was what had to be done. I got through it and so will you.

Reactions: deleted814719

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I injured my shoulder in an accident. Took 9 months to recover, 6 of those were sleeping in a chair because I could not lay flat. Was most painful recovery of my life. Today 8 years later it may be better then the other shoulder. Scar is my 2nd biggest. It runs from upper shoulder around top and across to my ribs. Well over a foot, almost two feet. Replacement of clavical, most of scapula, and rebuild of shoulder socket covers most of the surgery. Lots of metal including a internal tens unit my Dr. was great and my arm and shoulder feel normal. Only problem I have is at the airport. I always set off the alarms.

Reactions: Gj816
D

deleted814719

I injured my shoulder in an accident. Took 9 months to recover, 6 of those were sleeping in a chair because I could not lay flat. Was most painful recovery of my life. Today 8 years later it may be better then the other shoulder. Scar is my 2nd biggest. It runs from upper shoulder around top and across to my ribs. Well over a foot, almost two feet. Replacement of clavical, most of scapula, and rebuild of shoulder socket covers most of the surgery. Lots of metal including a internal tens unit my Dr. was great and my arm and shoulder feel normal. Only problem I have is at the airport. I always set off the alarms.
Wow, that sounds like a major accident. Glad things worked out for you.

likitisplit

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I severly injured my shoulder nearly three months ago in a hiking accident. A recent MRI indicated that I've got several tears in my rotator cuff. I'm scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon next week and am pretty much resigned to needing surgery after reading the MRI report and doing some internet research. The tears are such that physical therapy and/or steroid injections are not going to heal the shoulder.

I'm curious as to the experience men might have had with rotator cuff surgery. How did the surgery and recovery go? What suggestions can you offer for healing?

I'm pretty bummed by the whole prospect of surgery and the seemingly long recovery process.
i had bad arthritic bone spur growth under my collar bone which was cutting the tendon that ran down into my arm. he said i was about two days from severing it completely. ended up having to cut out two inches of collar bone at my rotator cuff. plus cut out and rejoin part of the damaged tendon. surgery went ok. told me nothing heavier than a coffee mug for 8 weeks. no lifting my arm above an even plane for 12 weeks. at 16 weeks i started rehab...worst part by far. if he uses the large staples in your wound and then when he removes them and says this doesn't hurt...slap him and call him a liar and hold on.

otuscan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Hey

I don't think you need to resign yourself to surgery. Baseball pitchers will be throwing 100mph pitches with significant cuff and Labral tears. Most people over 40 (97%) will have some abnormality on ultrasound without having symptoms. I would not get to hung up on the scan results. if you google Jeremy lewis and cuff tear he has some very useful stuff.

this will also give you an idea of recovery if you do go down surgical route https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article/77

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
What's the difference between a terrorist and a physical therapist?

You can negotiate with a terrorist.

Just a little PT joke there. Don't let the prospect of post surgical PT stop you. If you need it get it done.

Bigred12

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Tore mine about a year ago. Had surgery 7 months ago. Mine was Completely severed due to bone spurs underneath. Surgeon decided to open up the site because he felt it had a better rate of staying attached. Started physical therapy about 6 weeks post op. Feels like I’m about 98 percent now. Made me realize how bad my other shoulder is now. Find a good surgeon & don’t slack on the physical therapy.

Reactions: deleted814719

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
17 years ago, I was finally in a position to do an extensive remodeling and additions to our house. To make it feasible, I was going to do much of the work myself. We had the construction loan and the building permit...and then I had a torn rotator cuff. As I recall, the labrum was a severe tear and 2 other muscles were also badly damaged.
I decided to work with my chiropractor and we did all the PT that would have been done post surgery, plus deep tissue massage once a week and heating pads as often as possible.
It was very painful, but I was able to keep working AND working out at the gym. The shoulder rehab took about 3 months; the construction project took about 7 months but was completed beautifully.
I went on to develop nice shoulders in the gym. I stopped doing barbell presses, but went on to do 80# DB presses. I continue to do yoga as a way to keep my (extensive) arthritis at bay, but I have almost complete mobility in my shoulders.

Kaduna

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have torn rotator cuffs, badly on e right. Steroid injections help, but not a great deal any more. Now the dr suggests a shoulder joint replacement, but I am not keen. Not sure they are always sucessful and don't want to be worse of - and it would irreversible.

D

deleted972421

Can't express enough the importance of doing all of your physical therapy. My right shoulder was badly damaged, and it's back to 99% because I did the work. Just ask yourself, do I want to be crippled the rest of my life?

D

deleted814719

I had my surgery on Feb 2022. The doctor had originally felt that he would perform the procedure orthoscopically but early on the procedure, he found the damage to be so severe that an actual incision would be necessary to repair the damage. The surgeon put 9 anchor points in my shoulder which according to him was a LOT of anchors.

At any rate, the first 6-8 weeks were miserable. I could only sleep in a reclining chair, used ice constantly to try and keep the pain down, arm in a sling nearly 24 hours/day - all standard stuff so I have been led to believe. Once I was able to begin physical therapy, things started to improve but only by small amounts. The PT was doing most of the work and I was to be mostly passive. As the weeks went on, I was given more actual exercises to do and my range of motion began to improve pretty dramatically. The pain lessened with each PT visit and the strength in the shoulder/arm began to improve slightly, albeit with very light weights.

I ended up seeing the physical therapist for about 6 months and although my range of motion had become nearly equal to my left (good) shoulder, I didn't have nearly the strength as before my accident and surgery. My ortho surgeon, who I saw every 3 months to gauge progress, told me 6-7 months after surgery that I needed to do everything I could to gain a little more range of motion and any strengthening I could endure. He indicated that 12 months post-surgery, I was unlikely to improve. In other words, I had a target/deadline by which I could improve and after that ... well, I was more-or-less stuck with the progress.

I began playing volleyball and fishing (casting) 8 months post-surgery. I could fish pretty well but volleyball - ugh - I couldn't serve overhand across the net and couldn't begin to swing on the ball in the front row. But the more I played and worked at improving, the better I got. Now, nearly 16 months post-surgery, I'd say that I've probably got 95% range-of-motion and probably 85% of my strength.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the outcome. As other posters have indicated, strictly adhering to the physical therapy regimen is key.

Reactions: Bigred12 and Gj816
D

deleted814719

I’ve had both repaired. Surgery isn’t that bad. You will be miserable for about a week. The key is doing your physical therapy.
My misery lasted several weeks as I couldn't get comfortable laying in a bed. I slept in a recliner for nearly a month.

You are correct about the physical therapy. I'd say that I'm about 95% of my previous range-of-motion and feel very fortunate that at age 69 I can do all of the things I used to do with that shoulder.

Reactions: Cooper72

22D ROCK

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had been out of the gym about 6 years. I thought I could go back on day 2 and pick up where I left off 6 years prior. Nope. Father time is undefeated. I continued to lift for about 6 months. I knew I was hurt, just not how bad. I had torn my supraspinatous. I had surgery 8 weeks ago. I had a great surgeon. I was in a brace for 6 weeks. Sweatpants are a must.

My physical therapy mindset is "you only get back what you earn." I don't quit on anybody else and I'm damn sure not going to quit on myself.

James Kujveli

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When surgery is the only option, as it often is, itsc the best to take that option.
I know 2 Powerlifters who did not have the required surgeries and both basically are done with lifting weights, yes one isca rotator cuff.
Injection to numb the pain are just temporary...

Ive had several surgeries over the years, yea your body degenerates and recovery is difficult, but as mentioned above, it can be done if you really work at it.