Royal Obssesion:Victoria vs Juana de Loca

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by naughty, Jan 2, 2007.

1. naughty

Gold Member

I just finished watching A&E's story "Victoria and Albert" . I found it quite interesting that the same obssesive love that held a global generation hostage for 40 years during the Victorian pd. was cause for Queen Juana of Spain to be locked away for 40+ years . Was it the time period or cultural expectations that made one look like a devoted wife and the other like a raving lunatic?

2. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

It is always nice to run into someone who is interested in history.

I don’t think the devotion was the same because Victoria managed to keep her senses about her and discharge her constitutional duties while mourning her loss, whereas Juana seemingly stopped functioning as a human being when Philip died.

We also have to realize the burden of responsibilities on the two: Juana was expected to rule while Victoria only reigned. Also, as distressing as Victoria's behavior was she was already Queen and no one disputed her right to her crown and throne; whereas in Juana's case Ferdinand never wanted to relinquish his control over Castile to his daughter. Ferdinand declared her insane and locked her up, we will never fully know if she was really insane or it just suited her father’s purposes to declare her that. Given the chance to rule, it is entirely possible that Juana would have come back to her senses and proved to be a effective ruler like her mother.

3. naughty

Gold Member

THank you Jeffery,

I just find the stories of both women so fascinating. Thank you for adding clarity...

4. Gisella

Gold Member

Wow..you do have a very nice way to tell history..it flows very interesting from you and wrap everything clear and beautiful..if you are not teaching you have to...you'll be a very good teacher the ones students really enjoy and remember foundly.

Congratulations for this gift you have inside! :smile:

5. taven

taven Member

As I recall from a biography I read many years ago, Juana la loca was at the mercy of her father who didn't want to give his daughter her power after her mother died and Juana was to have the power. By the time she eventually was able to be rescued by partisans of her cause, she really was deranged and didn't trust anyone other than those who had held her for so long.

Draft saved Draft deleted