Royal Visit

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by kalipygian, May 4, 2007.

1. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mother has found out that Georgie has been out bullying other people's kids, she's come looking for him with a hickory stick.
    Our Canadian siblings probably told on him. we know she really loves them better than US, they are so clean, quiet, polite and loyal, why can't we learn to be more like them, we are such a disappointment.:biggrin1:

2. Freddie53

Gold Member

So the Queen is coming to the US. Is this an official state visit with all the trappings, state dinners and such or mainly a visit to mark the 400th aniversary of the founding of Jamestown, Virginia, the first permanent English settlement in the New World?

3. agnslz

Gold Member

Yes, it is a formal state visit. There will be a state dinner held in the Queen's honor on Monday night. She will also be attending the Kentucky Derby, this weekend.

4. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some of both, the visit is for a week, she is seeing the Kentucky Darby in a private capacity, and there is going to be a garden party at her embassy in DC. (I hope every one on LPSG has received their invitation)

Last visit, the San Francisco community had a drag queen queen Elizabeth look alike contest.

Correction, she is leaving Tuesday, not quite a week.

5. Hryblkone

Hryblkone New Member

Who Cares?!!

6. scherbideet

scherbideet New Member

Sport of Kings Gets a Queen, Literally

The queen has visited Kentucky several times, but has never attended the Derby. British royalty has attended the Derby in the past: Princess Margaret, sister of the queen, attended the 1974 Derby with her husband, Lord Snowdon.

The queen wouldn't be the only foreign dignitary to attend the Derby this year. Vaira Vike-Freiberga, the president of Latvia, may also be attending.

The queen and her husband, Prince Philip, will attend the 133rd Derby as part of a six-day trip to the United States that also includes visits to Virginia and Washington, D.C.

The queen has stabled horses at Kentucky farms in the past. She visited the Bluegrass State four times between 1984 and 1991 but has never been to Louisville.

CBC News Indepth: The Royal Family

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary of York was born on April 21, 1926, at her maternal grandparents' home in London, the first child for the Duke and Duchess of York.

7. agnslz

Gold Member

Anglophiles.

8. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

And anyone with respect for a most excellent Lady.

9. agnslz

Gold Member

I heard them say on the news that this may be the Queen's last visit to the United States. I sincerely hope not, for I would've liked for her to visit New Mexico at least once. Prince Charles has visited our fair state before though!

10. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    She has my full respect.

11. Hryblkone

Hryblkone New Member

Like you said before, anglophiles. That woman hasn't seen the things we all have. I bet she hasn't even taken a ride on a public bus before.

You sheeple love following self-appointed "leaders" blindly.

12. Hryblkone

Hryblkone New Member

You all do know that they are the most famous/infamous inbreeds to ever occupy a high office?

Oops, ...I forgot Dubya.

Well, he's related to them anyway.

13. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Perhaps, though I recall that being said back in the 60's also. She would not likely visit the US again for ten or more years in any case. She visits Canada every couple or so years.
    Her mother had an active century.

14. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Actually - you are completely wrong. Respect for her has been earned over a much longer period than your entire lifetime probably.

She has judgment, compassion and authority.

If she was an ass, we would call her for it.

15. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Sheeple - a funny term :smile:

I do disagree with you, however.

Elizabeth II may not have seen the inside of a public bus, but she's definitely ridden in her fair share of jeeps and maintained them.

Have you been in a war and had the land around you bombed out? She has and more during WWII. We see the toll that 8 years takes on an American president or 10 years in the case of Prime Minister Tony Blair. She's had to deal with public life for 50+ years as The Queen.

We're talking about a lady who has advised 10 prime ministers of England and has met 11 US presidents. Very few people come close or surpass the duration with which she has maintained her high office/duty/appointment/annointment. Only people like the Pope (John Paul II), Fidel Castro, the Dali Lama, US Supreme court Justices can claim to have a similar perspective of longevity. You have to accord the lady some respect for her rather rare, long-lived experience as a public figure in history.

Last, as a practical matter, we American responders are not British subjects. For all practical purposes, our opinion about the ceremony surrounding the monarchy amounts to a hill of beans... We're not the ones paying the taxes for her... We Americans just stupidly pay money to the tabloids and trash TV shows to maintain our thirst for vicarious "royalty" through no-talent celebrities.

16. Freddie53

Gold Member

The Queen has presided over the dissolution of the British Empire and the new alignment of a nation, the United Kingdom, as a part of the European Union. The United Kingdom has had the most stable government by far of any European nation. While the Queen officially in a non political figure, her presence has immense authority in the United Kingdom as well as the other English speaking nations where she is still the Queen.

With such dramatic changes in the structure of the world, Elizabeth has provided stability to a nation that has adjusted from being the head of the largest empire in the history of the world to being a medium size modern nation. This is no simple task.

Many don't know that she gave her first radio address in 1940 at age 14 to the children of an empire threaten by the Nazi Empire. She joined the army when she turned 18 and her son and her grandsons have done the same.

As head of state, the Queen has reigned longer than any other head of state by far. I AM 56 and I don't remember a time when she was not the Queen.

The Queen appears in excellent health and if she is like her mother could reign another 20 years. The Queen Mother was still doing royal functions at age 101.

Obviously it is easy to see I am a fan of the Royal Family. Had King George not been such an ass back in the 1770's Elizabeth might still be the Queen here. Of course that is the American version of what happened back then. I'm sure the UK history books present a slightly different picture.

17. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    She used to get around London by the underground in the 30's, it wouldn't work now, the stations would be mobbed, traffic would be clogged up.

As she inherited the position, she is certainly not self appointed, and if she leads it is by example.

18. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God

Yep, that doesn't bode well for Charles. The Queen Mum (Elizabeth's mother) lived to be 101 or 102 years old - that's even with the gin and chocolates that she had every night before bed. Assuming Elizabeth is equally well-maintained and getting plenty of exercise, she'll live to be about the same age or longer. That gives Elizabeth an additional 20+ years on the throne.

Charles, on the other hand, will probably have the lifespan of a typical male, perhaps longer.. He's ~ 60 years old now. Two decades from now, he'll be 80 when the monarchy passes to him. He'll probably have 2 to 10 years on the throne at least. That leaves William to rise to the throne at at 45 or 50.

19. Hryblkone

Hryblkone New Member

I'm not impressed.

All these accomplishments and war, poverty, and unrest still plagues the world. I fail to see the good in such a lengthy rule if she has allowed Blair to get involved with the so-called U.S. war on "Terror".

England only acknowledges the colonies of the U.S. because we are a superpower allied with them in what is a modern-day crusades for oil and dominance. What do they say: "the enemy of my enemy is my friend?"

Enjoy your Pomp and Circumstance while you all can.
    It's the only thing you have to cling to. The future of one the last empires will soon be in the hands of a man who desired to be a tampon within his mistress' underpants.

And I still believe the U.S./Monarchy had something to do with the circumstances surrounding Diana's untimely demise.

20. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    She made herself usefull as a truck driver in WWII, as soon as she turned 18 and was allowed to.

(I think King Bhumipol Adulyadej Rama IX of Thailand has been King around five years longer)

Draft saved Draft deleted