RSVP Alaska Cruise

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cruises, in general, are alot of fun. I've never done an RSVP cruise, but I suspect it is similar to Atlantis Events. You can expect a wide cross section of people and a diverse crowd of gay men. It isn't all circuit types, or, all single, or all anything.

Looks like a good itinerary. Seattle is a great city, so if you have extra time, then enjoy it. Pike's Market is fantastic and the view from the needle is really memorable. Plan ahead for Victoria Island. You're only there for one evening, so if you can get into the Empress Hotel, do it. My husband proposed to me there over High Tea.

On board the cruise, do what you want, but I'd suggest at least one night of any specialty dining. If RSVP does what Atlantis did, then the entertainment will be a step above the norm for cruises.

Alot depends on what you honestly want to do. If you're looking for relaxation, or escaping, or partying, or dancing, or hot times, it's there.

I do suggest that you buy whatever drink package you can, since you don't really want to be worrying about that onboard. Just let your hair down and go with the flow.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bring plenty of condoms and lube.

Regarding having a day or two in Seattle, if the skies are cloudy, do not bother paying $21 to go up the Space Needle. You'll only be able to see the surrounding neighborhood, which is rather dull. If you choose to eat dinner up there, bring low expectations.

Instead, in the late afternoon, take the ferry across Puget Sound, for a great view of the Olympic Mountain range, to Winslow, on Bainbridge Island, have a nice walk around the little town, and dinner at one of the many good restaurants there. Then at sunset, take the ferry back to Seattle while the city lights come on, and hopefully, depending on cloud cover, Mt. Rainier and the Cascade Mountains will light up orange and purple. The best view of the skyline is at night, since most of the tall buildings are beige or gray, and disappointingly generic.

Be sure to look down from the bow of the ferry as it enters Elliott Bay, and hopefully a pod of Harbor Porpoises will be playfully leading the ship in towards the piers. It's really heart-warming to watch.

Avoid Pike Place Market on weekends... Mostly just crowds of waddling tourists looking for overpriced t-shirts to buy. Doubting that you will need to buy groceries, go in the late morning on a weekday when it's easier to get around, and check out its nooks and crannies where there are still some authentic, eccentric businesses and crafts people left.

The Seattle Underground Tour, in Pioneer Square, can be fun, interesting, entertaining, and even spooky. I think it's worth the price, if you get a really fun guide, which is luck of the draw.

A/B

PS: KennF meant the city of Victoria, on Vancouver Island. It's a beautiful, walkable little city.

Last edited:

Houtom

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thanks for the Seattle advice. I have friends in Tacoma, Renton and Friday Harbor and I've made the trek to Seattle for the last 15 years. Lot's of fun times there, though I do miss the closing of a place called basic plumbing (I think that was the name).

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, the now toothless crystal meth addicts/dealers that ran "Basic Plumbing", ran it into the ground. Check to see if Rain City Jacks will be having an event when you are in town. No drugs, no booze, and no unsafe sex allowed, (that's why it's still around).

Tacoma is up and coming, with it's awesome museums and newish University of Washington campus. And, even good ol', working class Renton has been restoring its historic downtown. Friday Harbor is certainly a nice place to have friends!

Hope you will report back on the RSVP cruise when you get home from it.

A/B

Last edited:

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Holland America - Westerdam I believe.

In Ketchikan - do the Lumberjack Show

In Juneau - Do either glacier sight seeing, zip slide or whale watching

Glacier Bay - you can't get off the ship as it's cruise only. They will stop and bring on board some members of the Tlinget Indian tribe and they will describe their historical relationship with Glacier Bay. They are they only people allowed to live in that area.

You can pull up all the shore excursions for the cruise on the web page.

If you need anything else, let me know!

Sklar

DavidXL

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Holland America - Westerdam I believe.

I'm sorry, I can't be much help. I've been on a number of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruises, but haven't been on Holland America. You'll have a great time. I was very resistant to go on my first cruise, because I did not think it would be for me at all. I ended up having a great time and have been on about 10 since.

Have fun!

hvdude

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A cruise is what you make it. You can have a little activity or a lot. You can stay out late or go to bed early. The added difference is obviously the gay slant to it. I have never done an RSVP cruise, but friends that have really enjoyed them. My husband and I haven't done one because we enjoy meeting all kinds of people, not just gay and lesbian. To each his own. Enjoy!

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
RSVP hasn't chartered the entire ship.

So you will be on group on board along with a lot of straight, elderly people.

If you're thinking this is going to be an Atlantis type of cruise, you're going to be disappointed.

Sklar

studiocity26

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
RSVP hasn't chartered the entire ship.

So you will be on group on board along with a lot of straight, elderly people.

If you're thinking this is going to be an Atlantis type of cruise, you're going to be disappointed.

Sklar
Not true - RSVP chartered the entire ship.