Rugby vs. American Football

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm an all around sports fanatic, except nascar or any type of stock car racing or golf. Here in the states - especially the deep south - football is religion and I'm just as guilty of the fanaticism as anyone else but I also like rugby.

Most of the natives here will argue that amerin football is tougher while some of my friends from overseas will argue the contrary. Honestly I think they're both pretty damn manly but personally I give American football the edge simply because of the more explosive hits.

I'd like a more world wide view on it. What do you guys think of the two?

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I would rather a huge gadiatorial contest between teams of giants that is Rugby.

I love the gritty dirty physicality of rugby and the men who take their lumps like men without hiding behind a tonne of padding and helmets.

Plus you really should differentiate between the two codes of football that fall under the generic term of rugby!

There is Rugby League and then there is Rugby Union.

Which "Rugby" did you mean?

Last edited:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really don't think the padding and helmets are a valid argument since they don't stop the bone jarring injuries of football very well. In fact I'd say the pads are needed (but useless).What does it say when you wear pads but your sport is still full of horrific injuries? Maybe the hits are harder? More violent? Not to mention that in American football you really don't have time to brace for a hit, especially recievers who are usually blind sided by guys who have a considerable weight advantage over them. When I played high school and middle school football I was glad to wear pads since I would be hurting after I hit someone, so I can't imagine how they felt. But most of that is a result of the structure of American football, every team has a unit that specializes in collisions and are presented with more opportunities.

I would have played rugby in high school but very few schools have it here, mainly only colleges. @The Dragon, I don't think pads and a helmet make you any less of a man when you play a sport where every Sunday players are concussed or have their careers ended from hits they don't see coming. Besides, padding only weighs about 5 pounds max.

As far as rugby goes, players usually have time to brace for impact and don't really take on as many (relatively) of those violent hits that are the results of "bang bang" plays (silly yankee term I know). But in the end I realize that both are structured differently and in some aspects that makes them incomparable.

I like both equally and for their own details but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say that American football players are not "real men" because of pads. Don't you think that's reaching at least a little bit?