Rugged? What?

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
So I realized that women like "rugged" men. When I hear that I think of a cowboy riding a horse and smoking a cigarette (Marlbro poster probably lol!)

I did not know this. So there are ugly guys, cute guys, and rugged guys? What other kinds are there?

For women, I would say there are pretty girls and cute girls. Then it goes up and either can be gorgeous or beautiful. (or ugly).

I remember hearing girls getting mad because people thought they were cute. I think cute girls are better than pretty girls. I think most guys would agree with me also.

But whats better in a guy? Cute or rugged? I'm going to go out on a limb and say rugged.

Also I wonder if rugged is something you are born with (like, square jaw and such) or if you can do something to achieve ruggedness. I don't want to be rugged, so I'm not looking for tips on how to be it (because you could give me tons of tips and I'll never try any of them). This topic just interests me.

Thoughts?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I may be wrong on this; but I think some guys are just born rugged. It's not so much a look but an attitude. Also I have never met a rugged computer geek or math nerd. I think maybe rugged repels those men. :tongue:

IMO - Rugged men are usually desirable because they can fix things. I know it's the 21st century and many women own their own tool boxes but that doesn't mean we always want to do everything ourselves.

I know of a few women who get indignant about being called cute. I think they are idiots though. Being cute is almost never a bad thing. For one thing, cute people usually age very well if they take care of themselves.

I have another friend who gets upset when people refer to me as cute because I am 5'9" tall. She is 5'2" and insists that cute is a synonym for petite. :rolleyes: {as if!} A person can be short and ugly as sin! :cool:

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A rugged guy has character & always looks ready for action. But an unshaven pretty boy can look rugged too. Brad Pitt being a good example.

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
I used to think people were born nerds or jocks too! But now I believe its more a subject of your environment. Your upbringing. Nerds were set up for failure, where as jocks were set up for success.

Take me for instance. I'm a big dude. I fist fought half the football team in highschool. I used to play magic the gathering at lunch time. I could have been a jock, playing sports, working out and getting ladies. But instead my parents didn't teach me that I had to shower when I was like...7 years old. So I became the loser kid in school, I never had a chance. Later on being poor took more of an affect, cant play sports (cleets are expensive!) couldn't even do my laundry, still the gross kid with dirty clothes, everybody hates you cuz your icky blah blah blah so on and so on. From there you do loser things that the other loser kids do (cuz they are the only ones who will accept you). I could easily have been a jock, a rugged bad boy, with social skills and ladies man abilities. I always had interest in playing sports, and I could never get into it. I tried out for teams, but I never got accepted because I never played any sports before that time, due to not having any friends whatsoever.

But even if I had become a jock and had a better life. Would I still be rugged? I tend to think of it as a look, if a guy has a round face, can he still be rugged? Or do you need a square jaw for that? You know what I mean?

P.S. Sorry to give you my life story but I think it has good examples, I try not to elaborate too much on it tho lolz

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kassokilleri2ff, this isn't the first time you have mentioned being poor as a child. I implore you to find a way to move past this. I know it's not something that can happen over night; but it must happen. You cannot walk through life blaming your parents, your poverty, and your past for your present condition.

If at any point you had spoken to a teacher, neighbor, or counselor and said we don't have money to do laundry and the kids tease me. Your life would have changed for the better. Someone would have taken you under their wing and made sure you learned to bathe and had clean clothes. I know this because I'm an educator and so was my mom. Many a night she bought home a child she said just needed, "a little extra help."

I think it's time you exercised a bit of your own Free Will as I mentioned in another thread. Now that you're a big boy and have presumably learned how to properly bathe on a daily basis and do laundry whatcha gonna do?

You don't have to have a square jaw or own a cowboy hat to be rugged! :rolleyes: Ted Kennedy has a square jaw and at no point in my lifetime would I have described him as being either rugged or cute. I thought I had made that clear in my previous post.

I dated a very rugged man who was a dentist by profession. His family was not rich. His dad was a mailman and his mom stayed home until the youngest of the 4 kids was in third grade. Where upon she took a secretarial job at a small local company. They were at best 'lace curtain Irish.' In spite of the fact he was neither rugged nor cute and had grown up poor; he managed to work his way through college and date a mighty fabulous and cute black girl. :cool: :biggrin1: :wink:

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jim Valvano, the late college basketball coach had the best line about rugged looking. He said Joe Namath was ruggedly handsome. On anyone else they would have said he had a big nose.

bigdog83

Sexy Member
Media
I may be wrong on this; but I think some guys are just born rugged. It's not so much a look but an attitude. Also I have never met a rugged computer geek or math nerd. I think maybe rugged repels those men. :tongue:

IMO - Rugged men are usually desirable because they can fix things. I know it's the 21st century and many women own their own tool boxes but that doesn't mean we always want to do everything ourselves.

I know of a few women who get indignant about being called cute. I think they are idiots though. Being cute is almost never a bad thing. For one thing, cute people usually age very well if they take care of themselves.

I have another friend who gets upset when people refer to me as cute because I am 5'9" tall. She is 5'2" and insists that cute is a synonym for petite. :rolleyes: {as if!} A person can be short and ugly as sin! :cool:

ahem........i am a computer geek and i consider myself rugged. :)

B_Bette

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
So I realized that women like "rugged" men. When I hear that I think of a cowboy riding a horse and smoking a cigarette (Marlbro poster probably lol!)

You're correct that women like this type of man physically, for the most part. But then when they get to know the ruggedness of who he really is, they recoil in fear! They want back the wimpy men we created in the 80's and 90's.

I'm old (not really, I just feel it today), so I can say with great certainty that physically, any man, or woman, can be desirable. We all have our own set of "standards" that can be thrown out the window if someone special comes along, with whom we connect. (Ever see Tao of Steve?)

But for me, since I'm not often impressed by anyone or anything, and I AM impressed by physical strength, it is important to me that my man is STRONG. Rugged, not rugged, built, not built, cowboy, not cowboy...whatever. My point is, physical strength is inherent in the "rugged" type. But don't drive yourself crazy at the gym or anything, trying to look like you smoke 3 packs a day. :wink:

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
Kassokilleri2ff, this isn't the first time you have mentioned being poor as a child. I implore you to find a way to move past this. I know it's not something that can happen over night; but it must happen. You cannot walk through life blaming your parents, your poverty, and your past for your present condition.

If at any point you had spoken to a teacher, neighbor, or counselor and said we don't have money to do laundry and the kids tease me. Your life would have changed for the better. Someone would have taken you under their wing and made sure you learned to bathe and had clean clothes. I know this because I'm an educator and so was my mom. Many a night she bought home a child she said just needed, "a little extra help."

I think it's time you exercised a bit of your own Free Will as I mentioned in another thread. Now that you're a big boy and have presumably learned how to properly bathe on a daily basis and do laundry whatcha gonna do?

This is not about me, I was simply saying that I think that you are not born a nerd or rugged. I then stated my reasoning why, with personal experience. I guess expecting people to understand is a bit too much.