Rumsfeld told Bush: Irag Strategy Not Working

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

More

2. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

As a wise man once said:

"Too late, chum."

That could cast his firing in a new light.

3. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    Aaahh, what the hell. He might as take as many as he can with him. It's not as if he'll be working inthat town again.

4. PussyWellington

Albums:
    What do you mean the strategy is not working -- all the infrastructure has been destroyed. Cheney's mates have the contracts to rebuild. There is a civil war, the country will be divided. The Kurds (who are being armed by Israel) will get the oil fields in the north. A puppet government is installed.

Seems like everything is going to plan!

5. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    How unsurprising. A Cabinet member resigning after staunchly backing their leader, by all appearances, until the last minute.

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I love you and I don't care who knows.

Yes. His once Top-Shelf group of advisors is crumbling. Who would have thought Buch could make both Powell and Rumsfeld look horrible (Among others).

7. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    The true devil to dislodge is Cheney. The whole Iraq war was just greed and hubris - greed for oil and rebuilding right, hubris for thinking that the US military is so elite that it would be able to reshape Iraq overnight.

8. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Slowly coming out in the wash, isn't it?

I agree Cheney should be booted. He's the ring leader behind all of this mess, 9/11, and Enron.

We should just Impeach both of them, and Try them for embezzelment of funds, 2,800 soldiers-lives worth.

9. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Haha, I was going to post the link to the wikipedia article on Cheney that points out that he still has (IIRC) 8 million Halliburton options, but the article is gone and wiki'ing "Cheney" followed by clicking on "Dick Cheney" takes you directly to the "Evil" article.
    (Dick Cheney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Seems wikipedia is turning into google. :rolleyes:

edit: here's the page. Apparently the Cheneys made $8MM in 2005, this was "...largely the result of exercising Halliburton stock options that had been set aside in 2001 with the Gift Trust Agreement.":Dick Cheney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. AndrewEndowed24

AndrewEndowed24 New Member

Albums:
    The scary thing about this administration is that Rumsfeld apparently couldn't say this until he was on his way out the door.

11. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:

Isn't that because Bush will not brook "defeatism" talk or even thought?

12. dong20

Gold Member

Bush (et al) didn't listen to the millions of other voices, including more than a few who a) Actually knew what they were talking about and b) Have begun to exact their revenge, and started doing so already, just recently in fact.

These are the ones who said the same thing, before and after the invasion so why would he listen to just one that he was paying to say what he wanted to hear. Is anyone really surprised Rumsfeld has shown himself the craven liar we all know he was?

What did you expect? That he would stand by the sidelines and shouting "Bush's policy was in the best interests of the iraqi people and the furtherence of freedom." even if he believed it....Such naivete.:rolleyes:

13. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    The boy-king in the White House has weak leadership skills. Like other fair weather politicians, he shines only while posturing for the adulation of his supporters and the nods of sycophants. But now, in the face of adversity, he can only fall back on his intransigent stubborness, as if that substituted for backbone.

Its curious that only in the wake of recent election losses are former war apologists now breaking ranks and stating the obvious about Iraq.

14. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

This reminds me of something I learned a while ago...

A good manager will want employees smarter than he is (they will make his department better)

A poor manager will want employees dumber than he is (so he can look good compared to them)

Presumably an insecure manager will want employees who agree with him, no matter what.

15. dong20

Gold Member

It's not curious, it's the nature of politics I'd have thought that was blindingly obvious.

16. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol, which is why I meant that as blindingly sarcastic. :smile:

17. dong20

Gold Member

Sure, but there are some here that would think and say that with dead pan seriousness. Anyway. sorry if I maligned you by including you among them.:smile:

18. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:

19. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not at all! :smile: It would seem that what I intended as polished rapier wit came out as sharp as a butterknife.

And I agree about Rumsfeld being little more than a craven liar and opportunist. Fair warning: That probably means he's in line to soon get some kind of award like the much dishonored Medal of Freedom.

It is with no small glee I observe Bush cronies cannibalizing each other, like rats do in extreme circumstances. Too bad others had to bear the costs before the door was open for it to begin.

20. dong20

Gold Member

I largely gave up subtlety here...your reference to the blunt knife, combined with a series about Robin Hood on TV earlier reminded me of a line from the Costner movie. It's where the Sheriff (played by Rickman, an inspired choice who saved the film) says he will cut his opponents heart out with a spoon. When questioned on this by a stupid minion (i.e. why not use a knife) he replies "Because it's dull you fool, it'll hurt more". It seems relevant here in that in the case Iraq, as Vietnam; those lessons best learnt are often the most painful.

That was a charitable description. But he's no worse than many and is just in the news spotliight right now.

Indeed, I said here once in a post that if those that started wars were forced to take part and thus suffer the same pain and loss, war would be rare, your comment is a poignant indictment of that belief.

Draft saved Draft deleted