Running Shoes Inquiry

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by golf_beast19, Jan 14, 2012.

1. golf_beast19

golf_beast19 New Member

I wanted to see which brand of running shoes people prefer. I looking into a pair of Asics currently. Any suggestions?

2. redneckgymrat

Gold Member

What kind of running? What distance? Do you pronate? Are you overweight?

All are important considerations...there are all manner of options available, from the ultra-cushioned supportive options, and all the way down to something relatively unique called the "Five Fingers" which allows your foot total freedom.

I've started running, "barefoot running" actually, in "aqua socks" for the barefoot experience, until my strength increases. So long as you maintain a forefoot strike, they're remarkably comfortable, and they force your foot to hold you up, which supposedly strengthens the arch and the overall structure of the foot.

Or, it causes stress related micro-fractures.

It all depends on which articles you read.

3. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I like Asics, but certain models only. I have really flat feet.

I've found it's worth it to buy running shoes from a local store that is run by runners. They can ask the smart questions and make suggestions based on what type of feet you have.

4. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Road Runner Sports gave me the best information about choosing the right shoe for my feet and body. Check out their website. They have diagnostic treadmill equipment in the stores that give the sales associate the data to help customers with shoe selections. Since the '90s, the perfect shoe for me is the Brooks Beast. I'm a pronator (flat feet), and the Beast has been the best running shoe that I've ever worn.

5. musclebare9

Gold Member

There are many good choices. I forget the exact details but the New Balance brand has previous experience with orthopaedic shoes. They have shoes that are designed for all sorts of people; heavy, pronators, wide and narrow. Stay away from the Nike Shock stuff. Pick up a pair and look at them from the back. The shock pieces are very inconsistent causing the shoe to lean at different angles. Long term use will cause hip, knee and ankle issues.

6. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This is good advice. A good running shoe store employee will ask you to remove your shoes and walk across the room. By looking at your feet and how you step, they can make shoe recommendations based on your feet. A good store should have you try on several different shoes after doing this, and then let you make decision about which is the most comfortable.

One shoe manufacturer will make multiple models of their running shoes that have unique soles; each appropriate for particular arches or pronation. A good pair of shoes is essential for a runner, and it is also important to replace them when their life span is over.

I run frequently, and I buy Brooks shoes, but I try different types every now and then based on recommendations the shoe store I use.

7. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Do a search on Men's Health magazine for best running shoes. I subscribe to Women's Health magazine and their "best" lists are always being updated. Good luck! :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted