Runoff System is a Southern Relic

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Principessa, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Runoff system a Southern relic

Article continues here.

I don't think NJ has run-off elections. :no: I had never heard of them until I moved to Georgia. Frankly, I think that they are silly. Statistically, speaking you never get as many people voting in the run-off elections; which is I suppose why there is often an upset the 2nd time around.

2. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    You say this like it's a bad thing.

Runoff elections are a great institution, democratically speaking. They ensure that the elected representative has the support of a majority, rather than a mere plurality...and the people who care enough to show up to vote in runoff elections are exactly the ones whose opinions matter anyhow.

3. dude252007

dude252007 New Member

Louisiana has the best system. Everyone throws their hat in the ring and who ever gets over 50% wins and if no one does then the top two have a run-off and of course the one with the majority wins. Most times you have 3 or 4 dems running and 1 or 2 republicans running all at the same time.

I always saw the run-off system as a way around the two party system and not a way for some southern democrats to keep control of the south, which is now republican so if that was the goal then it was a failure. Sometimes there is no sinister reason for something and it is what it is.

4. D_Cleon W Ballbreath IV

I always thought instant runoff would be the best.
    A big advantage it has over other schemes is that there's no need for voters to return.
    On the down side, it may be harder to count and be too confusing for some voters.

5. Freddie53

Gold Member

How can this thread be serious? the Run-off election in Afganistan has been on the news. There has been news reports of run-offs in nearly all the European Union. They are extremely common.

The opening post in this thread makes it appear that run-offs is only something that was instituted in the South and for racial reasons and is not used in any other area of the world.

Governments without a run off or some other way to see that the winner has the majority of the voters for them have major problems being stable.

Consider this: There is an election. Thirteen percent of homophobic, racist bastards from hell. That shouldn't be a problem. That is far from a majority. But, if Candidate B has 12 percent, candidate C 11 percent, candidate d has 10 percent and so on until all the votes have been distributed, then, we have a mess. With over 80 % of the people dispising racist, homophobic ideas of government, we have a racist homophobic candidate in office.

With a run off, we can avoid such a situation. Candidate B is in a run off. There al the rest of us can defeat the jackass that is racist and homophobic.

Real case in point, Nazi Germany. Hitler took over the government with a minority. Once he got in, he took steps to stay in power until he was defeated.

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    And this surprises you...why?

Draft saved Draft deleted