Rupert Murdoch / News International's UK News of the World

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If you thought things was bad enough at Faux News....

BBC News - News of the World to close amid hacking scandal

Whilst I do feel for the staff there affected by this concerning job losses, it pleases me loads Murdoch getting hurt so publicly like this.

Makes me wonder how his takeover of satellite TV company BskyB will go ahead or not now, but I do hope it fails!

Last edited:

I think it stepped over the mark, by a long way - and even though it's quite astonishing to see a paper fold (ha!) like this, it had to happen, imo.

I won't be shedding any tears, tbh - wasn't really a great advert for UK journalism anyway.

Quite a few landmark events this yr that you don't expect to happen all that often - NOTW collapse, Arab Spring, Eurozone Crisis, etc...

Altho I'll miss all the amusing 'David Mellor, 'Minister for Fun'' type shenanigans. :p
(Or was that the Mirror?).

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It will also be interesting to see how many of the U.K. police force and investigators of Scotland Yard get pulled in with all this. Apparently many of the law people have taken money in exchange for giving information.

News of the World phone hacking: Rupert Murdoch's 'links to criminal underworld' | Mail Online

"Paddick: 'News International handed police envelopes stuffed with £20k in Wapping McDonald's'
Total payments 'top £100,000'
Met Police ask IPCC to investigate illegal payments"

Um......what's a Wapping?

I also heard that the Prime Minister David Cameron had knowledge that some of this (payoffs) was going on.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens and who has their head placed on the chopping block and who is let off completely even if they were more deeply involved.

Quick! Get me the scapegoats!

On another part of all this, the hacking scandal has brought to light what many probably didn't even know, that virtually anybody can hack into a cellphone and check messages and fiddle around with them.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Um......what's a Wapping?

Where they are located for printing etc, just like Fleet Street was many years back.

Yes, if there was any doubt that the murdoch's was "bent" in any way in their many companies in News International (Includes Faux News), this should make it very clear that they can NOT be trusted at all, to be honest, and forthright with their words.

Makes me wonder how this deal with taking over BskyB will pan out now, with all this crap.

I bet Richard Branson (Virgin Media), and arch rival to BskyB, (which BTW is already part owned by News International) has got the biggest grin out today.

Last edited:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
How glad am I that we (Australia) are shot of the slimey little bastard.

Sorry UK and America.:redface:

The redhead didn't get sacked when the News of the World got culled.
No prizes for guessing who she's fucking.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
How glad am I that we (Australia) are shot of the slimey little bastard.

Sorry UK and America.:redface:

The redhead didn't get sacked when the News of the World got culled.
No prizes for guessing who she's fucking.

David Cameron? :biggrin1:

Hell, I would love to fuck him....... round back of the head with a baseball bat :wink:

Last edited:

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Will Rupert himself go down? Between handing much of his stuff off to others as he heads towards the cemetery and his uncanny ability to bounce back (perhaps through shifty deals) I wouldn't rule him out. The added item of the law of the U.K. being involved just diverts even further from him. He may come out relatively unscathed.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Will Rupert himself go down? Between handing much of his stuff off to others as he heads towards the cemetery and his uncanny ability to bounce back (perhaps through shifty deals) I wouldn't rule him out. The added item of the law of the U.K. being involved just diverts even further from him. He may come out relatively unscathed.

The Murdoch's will have received several body blows (I hope they f'ing hurt too), and chances of them getting out of this injury free, I would say no.

Big thing they have right now, is the full take over of BskyB, which is going through government consultation right now, and as it is already known, they are having to get rid of the sky news chan, if they are to stand any hope of taking over BskyB.

Now this shite with NTOW has kicked off, it certainly will do them no favours at all with the takeover.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Commercial Decision at expense of Tradition
Just an excuse for resources to go into other ventures (BskyB is it?)
Tradit Brits will just have to 'get over it'
James M is a Corporate Spunk - the New Breed
Sad for the Hundreds of workers affected / whats new
Overall we rubbish media, but cant do without em
when thinking a part of our usual lifestyle, has been terribly affected.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This story is huge. As well as criminal activity at the News of the World and the ambitions of the Murdoch empire we have likely criminal activity by London's Metropolitan Police and entanglement of the Murdoch empire with politicians of all parties.

Coulson's arrest is this afternoon's big story. It is of course possible that he will be released without charge - the arrest is therefore simply a method of questioning him. If he is charged it is going to damage Cameron whose spin doctor Coulson was. However the News of the World's crimes took place when Labour was in power, so Labour is unlikely to escape criticism in this process. My thought is we are going to get another MPs' expenses scandal which will damage all politicians.

The truly massive issue is the potential institutionalised criminal activity within the Metropolitan Police.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It has been reported that Rupert Murdoch and his son had a very extended debate over whether or not to close the news of the world. It was the first UK paper Rupert owned but James felt it had to go. Not quite so painful when it appears they already have plans to launch a new Sunday Sun newspaper in its place, which would be more cost effective to produce because it would be done by Sun staff already producing a weekly paper. So the closure can be seen as taking advantage of an excuse to sack the News of the World people. It is considered that most of those implicated in the unacceptable behaviour have already left.

Possibly with the exception of the senior staff. I dont know what to make of the position of Rebekah Brooks, who seems to enjoy the support of both Murdoch(s) and the prime minister, but also some other notables. Today James was attacked in parliament for having sanctioned payments to people whose phones had been tapped on condition that they did not talk about it. You can construe that as an honest action because it is pretty standard practice everywhere nowadays to include a gagging clause when compensating anyone for anything. Or you can see it as an attempt to stop the matter spreading. It certainly had the effect of slowing down the disclosures we are having now.

It was reported on the news just now that there was a report (ass covering) News international had been busy destroying thousands of emails. My own immediate reaction to the announcemnt of the closure of the news of the world was to wonder if a team with sledge hammers had already been hired to smash every computer in the place into tiny pieces the minute the staff left.

We just had an item that questions were being raised over what NOW journalists might have been getting up to in the US. It would appear the Metropolitan police have lists of thousands of people whose phones have been hacked, but they already had them at the time they said there was nothing more to investgate and closed the previous investigation.

Jason, I dont altogether agree about the police bit. I dont think it will come as a surprise to learn that police sometimes tip off journalists about interesting news. If they have been taking bribes to suppress the whole case, that might be different. The Murdoch's too, might be entiely innocent of the phone hacking or even police bribery issues, but could go down if they are found to have attempted to cover it all up once they found out.

I say ...might be innocent of bribery.. because of a comment by Shirley Williams (nearly retired UK politician) on question time on the TV yesterday, where she said that in her youth as a journalist it was common practice to pay police for stories (though also saying she covered fashion or some such so she personally had no need to). I am sure she was telling the truth, which in effect means this is a long standing practice for newspapers and thus it becomes difficult to believe anyone in the industry could be unaware of it.

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm just surprised it's gotten out. Politicians, journos and the polis are all bent. That's no surprise.

The big thing is how today Rupe was standing by Rebekah Brooks like she was a friggin messiah, the most important and brilliant thing is the world. I wonder what she knows about him or his family... because Murdoch is the kind of cold ruthless bastard who would throw anyone to the dogs for his benefit. There must be something big she has in her arsenal.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This story is developing so fast it is hard to get a handle on it. Issues that strike me as interesting:
  • People were happy for The Telegraph to obtain by illegal means information about the expenses of MPs. However the public is now outraged at illegality by journalists. We can certainly legislate to make our media whiter than white, but if we do this we have a media with its freedoms greatly reduced.
  • Milly Dowler's parents are seeing this week the deputy PM, leader of the opposition, and PM - and doubtless we will hear from them what all three say and what the Dowlers think of it. This is a media circus. The Dowlers are victims of a crime, but they have now become untouchables. It should not be for politicians to vie with one another to promise them greater levels of revenge against the N of the W.
  • Coulson has not been charged though he has been asked to return to the police station in October. Right now the PM is being criticised for employing a man who at the moment is innocent, not under arrest, not charged with a crime.
  • If Cameron is outsed over this issue his successor will almost certainly be a EuroSceptic. This would be interesting.