Rush

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Had a pretty good bassist? Geddy Lee was always their bassist (well, since a couple of weeks after the band first got together - 40 years ago). So unless he died or something...heaven forbid...

I saw them (for the second time) on April 20th (here in New Orleans) and have posted a lyric or two of their's (or perhaps more accurately, Neil's) here.

For three guys they make a helluva lot of sound. And nothing short of excellent.

Last edited:
D

deleted2028

Saw them perform last year and enjoyed every minute of it!
They put a lotta bands to shame who need additional hired hands to achieve an albumlike sound.
"YYZ" as a closer made me drive home with an ear to ear smile on my face.

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Skull, that was a great reply. Reminds me of the coked-out Chester Cheetah on Family Guy.

"Exit... Stage Left" is a live album but is still tighter than most studio albums. "Begin the day with a friendly voice..."

Goddamn, I have to catch these guys live.

Another great trio from the same era (and area) is Triumph. I want to see them too. Rik Emmett is a guitar god!

**edit** I am now listening to "Exit..." Thanks guys!

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am seeing them on the 12th. Rush is the best and the last band I have to see live before I die.

Saw them in the early 80's. I enjoyed them more at keg parties played on vinyl than I did live. Canadian rock, like Aldo Nova better than Rush, even though Rush had way more music.

YouTube - Aldo Nova - fantasy

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, Aldo Nova was just awesome with their one good song! lol!!!

I put Aldo Nova in the same category as Patrick Hernandez...

One hit wonders.

God... Rush... where do I start? I learned the chronicles cassette tapes when I was sick with the flu in high school. Figuring out all of those Rush songs (except for YYZ and La Villa Strangiata... I was only sick for a couple of days) made me one HELL of a guitar player and is the basis for my guitar playing style.

Can I give Alex a shout out? He gets overshadowed by Neil and Geddy, but he did more for showing rock guitar players what extended harmonies mean and the proper use of a chorus effect... his vibrato style was akin to the great Jeff Beck, real fluid and vocal-like.

Everyone knows that Geddy is a monster... you can't beat a Fender Jazz or a "Rick" through an Ampeg, his sound was as sick as his playing.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, Aldo Nova was just awesome with their one good song! lol!!!

I put Aldo Nova in the same category as Patrick Hernandez...

One hit wonders.

God... Rush... where do I start? I learned the chronicles cassette tapes when I was sick with the flu in high school. Figuring out all of those Rush songs (except for YYZ and La Villa Strangiata... I was only sick for a couple of days) made me one HELL of a guitar player and is the basis for my guitar playing style.

Can I give Alex a shout out? He gets overshadowed by Neil and Geddy, but he did more for showing rock guitar players what extended harmonies mean and the proper use of a chorus effect... his vibrato style was akin to the great Jeff Beck, real fluid and vocal-like.

Everyone knows that Geddy is a monster... you can't beat a Fender Jazz or a "Rick" through an Ampeg, his sound was as sick as his playing.

Come on now, I'll give Rush credit where it's due, but after "Moving Pictures", they really sucked. WTF was "Roll the Bones", when I heard what they were calling it "funk/hip-hop rock", I couldn't take them seriously even though the album went Platinum/Double Platinum ? Talk about crap, that's when America was buying into Milli Vanilli !

Last edited:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I was going to do the same but figured people didn't want to get bored with the technical aspect of it. Supreme use of the chorus effects, and those suspended chords he hits just hang there forever. So lush. I always tell people, if I could be on an island and only have one group's library of music to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be Rush. No doubt about it.

You know I had this sick fucking experience that really put me over the top with them back when I was in 7th or 8th grade I believe. You ever fall asleep and wake up in a bout of sleep paralysis? You know, when you can't move no matter how hard you try, but you can still see? A lot of people confuse this with being abducted by aliens, or don't they...

Anyway, I used to have my little boom box on my bed next to me and one night fell asleep to one of the Chronicles CDs, I believe the second one. And woke up in a bout of sleep paralysis and it was during the climax to Distant Early Warning, talk about an awesome and haunting experience! I couldn't fucking move but "the world weighs on my shoulders, but what am I to do? RED ALERT RED ALERT" was pumping from right behind me. And over the music I just heard this laugh like the Joker's laugh. I have been one with Rush ever since.