S U R F E R B O Y ! ! !

spl98006

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
prepstudinsc said:
Whether or not the pics are really him, if he wants to become an English teacher, he's going to need to learn to proper grammar. He may think it's cute to type like he speaks, but it drives me batty and it's just poor use of the English language. If he's going to be a teacher, I think it's only proper that he should start using the language in the correct way before he starts teaching his students to spell "fer shure, dude, that wasn't crescent fresh" instead of "that was not crescent fresh, dude." Proper is proper. I don't see why you all have to encourage his vacuity.

So do you think books like Gone With The Wind, Huckleberry Finn and Ridley Walker, which depict characters speaking in their native dialects, and are sometimes challenging to read as a result, should be removed from school curricula?

Nixxy has created a character for himself on LPSG, a happy-go-lucky young surfer from south Florida who is actively exploring his budding gay sexuality while holding down a retail job and dealing with family issues. In fact, while going through a bunch of his old posts in search of the pics that everyone else is talking about, I was struck by how his writing style has been remarkably consistent from the time he joined LPSG. That says to me that he actually has some writing talent - specifically, he has a good "ear," which is key to writing effective fiction. (And yes, I know that this board has often been charged with being a work of fiction.)

Surferboy certainly isn't the only character on this board with a distinctive, consistent writing style. I remember a lot of folks jumping down FRATRAT's throat when he dared to experiment with different writing styles in his blog. Shame, too, because he is another one who I think has a talent for writing, and I would have loved to watch him stretch that talent.

In fact, there are times when I wonder whether I'm going to wake up one day and discover that a lot of the well-known posters on this board were actually the creations of a writing workshop.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
ashlar said:
Do I have my own cult yet preppy? If not, can I please?

*makes sign, "Will give head for cult"*

LOL!!!

You might have to rephrase that...if you got a cult started, they might take you literally and make you do a Marie Antionette.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
spl98006 said:
So do you think books like Gone With The Wind, Huckleberry Finn and Ridley Walker, which depict characters speaking in their native dialects, and are sometimes challenging to read as a result, should be removed from school curricula?

I have no problem when works of literature use characters who speak in dialect. I have a problem when someone who supposedly wants to be an English teacher can't speak properly. That is the issue. If his whole career goal was to be a photo lab tech at Walgreen's, I could care less. If he wanted to be a professional surfer, I wouldn't mind. When the future generations of children will be taught by someone who thinks that the word sure is spelled "shure", it frightens me. I know that English is a tremendously complicated language and I feel very sorry for those who learn it as a second language, because it is difficult for those of us who learn it as our native tongue, but a person should still be trying to do the best that he or she can if career goals are set towards education.

SouthernBum

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry for butting in yall, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I don't know this surferguy and I never have read any of his posts or anything. Last time I checked this was lpsg.org not a website for pulitzer prize winning literature. Who really cares how a person wirtes, speaks, or whatever. He may want to be an English teacher, but he is just a normal guy here.

Thanks...didnt mean to sound too harsh or anything.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Some people post their opinion on a subject that they feel strongly about. Then, instead of appreciating differing opinions, they keep pounding their point home until their original reasonable comments degenerate into an annoying rant.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For those who missed Surferboy's original avatar...

88825920.jpg

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Damn you people talk a lot of smack, especially you, prep. Like, seriously dude, the fuck? Yes, the pics were of me. I've sent plenty of pics to some members here. All me. The hell made you doubt that?

As for how I type, prep, that has nothing to do with my teaching abilities. I've told you guys like, a million times why I type as I do. It totally conveys who I am. When I write like, official things, like essays and junk, I don't do that. This is a message board dude. That's it. I'm sorry that it bugs you, but too bad. Yer just a bitter man, with nothing better to do than to attack other people. So why don't you just like, fuck off or something? Get a better hobby than attacking people you envy.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
prepstudinsc said:
I have no problem when works of literature use characters who speak in dialect. I have a problem when someone who supposedly wants to be an English teacher can't speak properly. That is the issue. If his whole career goal was to be a photo lab tech at Walgreen's, I could care less. If he wanted to be a professional surfer, I wouldn't mind. When the future generations of children will be taught by someone who thinks that the word sure is spelled "shure", it frightens me. I know that English is a tremendously complicated language and I feel very sorry for those who learn it as a second language, because it is difficult for those of us who learn it as our native tongue, but a person should still be trying to do the best that he or she can if career goals are set towards education.
Monty,

You and I have conversed privately through the months. I consider you a real friend, not just an internet person who may or may not be who they say they are.

Nixxy is very talented young man. I have no doubt he can write as well as you and I. Perhaps better. I found a mistake in your post. And I make them by the scores and I am a retired teacher.

When I want or need to I can produce a mistake free document. I suspect the same is true for Nixxy. He probaby will make an excellent English teacher. Our high schools need more uptempo guys and gals to teach to relate to today's youth.

ZSo welcome to the world of middle age. It won't get better. The things the younger generations will do and write will appear to you to get worse.

We can only pray that that is a perception on our part not not the real truth.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
surferboy said:
just a bitter man, with nothing better to do than to attack other people. So why don't you just like, fuck off or something? Get a better hobby than attacking people you envy.

Don't worry, most of us think you're awesome. Remember I started this thread wondering where you were and if you go back and read it, quite a few others missed you too.

A little side note about your name: I think Phoenix is a sensational name. BTW I was 22 before I used my real name. It's Jeremy by the way.

Just remember:
1/3 of people like you
1/3 of people don't like you
1/3 of people don't give a fuck

Somewhere in that equation are those who dislike everyone.

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Nix dont let that moron bother you so much! who the fuck cares what he thinks?

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
surferboy said:
Damn you people talk a lot of smack, especially you, prep. Like, seriously dude, the fuck? Yes, the pics were of me. I've sent plenty of pics to some members here. All me. The hell made you doubt that? As for the name issue, I was born Phoenix Paul Mierisch. At work, I use my middle name. Which is why I have a name tag that says Paul, and not Phoenix. Why? Because like, when I moved here, I caught a lot of shit for having a "weird" name, and I just didn't wanna hear it from customers.

As for how I type, prep, that has nothing to do with my teaching abilities. I've told you guys like, a million times why I type as I do. It totally conveys who I am. When I write like, official things, like essays and junk, I don't do that. This is a message board dude. That's it. I'm sorry that it bugs you, but too bad. Yer just a bitter man, with nothing better to do than to attack other people. So why don't you just like, fuck off or something? Get a better hobby than attacking people you envy.

HAH!
Let the games begin boys and girls.

Well said Nixxy.

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I dont think it needs to turn into a game cos that prep guy doesnt deserve that attention.